GDT: Game #40: Flames vs Coyotes - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Moser is a 4/5...maybe a 3/4, Durzi is a 3/4, but then after that you have no one that is better than a 6.
See, I think Moser is a particular kind of player where you can put him with anyone and he'll be damn steady. He lacks some top pair swagger, plays vanilla, but I don't think he'd look out of place on any of the top pairs in the league.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We don't have any top pairing D on D, the last one we had was OEL. We get exposed in certain games and this is one of them. Is what it is for now, until D improves or we bring in help. Bear has done a nice job hiding this weakness as has the great goal tending we have seen. When goal tending dries up, we get exposed.

Reactions: LittlePipes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
See, I think Moser is a particular kind of player where you can put him with anyone and he'll be damn steady. He lacks some top pair swagger, plays vanilla, but I don't think he'd look out of place on any of the top pairs in the league.
We all hoped Moser was the next Michalek. But I he’s probably the next Suchy instead.

Is Josh Brown hurt?
Serious question, would Josh Brown be a worse 4th line winger than O’Brien? He’d be pretty good against the cycle and at chipping the puck out. He’s as physical and is a much better fighter. Much more intimidating. He could probably help the PK, at least. Why not try him on the wing? Sit O’Brien.

Reactions: Llewzaher

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
This feels like a definite low point of the season. Just an unacceptable effort while all the teams were “battling” with all showed up. What a horrible homestand. I know I shouldn’t expect SO MUCH more from this roster considering the expectations and obvious deficiencies, but I expect MORE

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I don’t remember that being the case. I remember him being very solid in all aspects but without any offensive contribution or physical play.
I very well could be wrong, there was something he would do that would tick me off, but it's been a long time. I totally get what you're saying. Moser definitely has better offensive skill.

rt

May 13, 2004
I very well could be wrong, there was something he would do that would tick me off, but it's been a long time. I totally get what you're saying. Moser definitely has better offensive skill.
I used obscure and poor examples. Haha.

What I meant was “Moser may be approaching WYSIWYG territory as he was a 3rd time eligible draft pick who’s been a pro a long time. And while he’s not quite done developing, I’m no longer seeing the ceiling I once did. And I now suspect he’s going to settle into a lesser role than I had previously hoped.”

Last edited:

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
The issue with moser is that he’s being forced into a top pairing role when that was never what he was supposed to be. He’s a #4 Dman being placed into a #1 D role. That’s not what he is.

I think Moser-Durzi is a great pairing. It’s not a great 1st pairing.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I used obscure and poor examples. Haha.

What I meant was “Moser may be approaching WYSIWYG territory as he’s was a 3rd time eligible draft pick who’s been a pro a long time. And while he’s not quite done developing, I’m no longer seeing the ceiling I once did. And I now suspect he’s going to settle into a lesser role that I had previously hoped.”
I figured he was a 3rd pair guy who could end up a bottom 4 guy, like David Schlemko. He's exceeded my expectations and I have no reason to believe he won't continue to. Maybe it's the Homer in me, but I think he's the perfect 2/3.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Sorry, sorry, you can all blame me. It's my work colleague's fault, but I was late to this game for the 2nd time ever at Mullett - the last time was the 11/3/22 thrashing at the hands of Dallas last year - this time it was 2-0 when we walked into the building, and they scored the 3rd as we were waiting for a stoppage....

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Suchy led all coyotes defensemen in +/- from 2000-2004. And was 2nd only to Teppo on PK mins. They didn’t track GvA/TkA data then unfortunately.
Man, you've got me thinking about some of our D from years ago. Klesla/Schlemko, remember their season of shutdown magic? Just Keith Ballard truckin dudes in open ice and putting bombs over the net haha. Similarly, Jovo suffered from putting bombs wide. OEL/Morris was nasty, as was Yandle/Michalek. We used to have such good blue lines.

Reactions: sundance74

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
so if we dont pull out of this funk , who is our trade bait at the deadline ? Zucker? I dont think you can trade Dumba .. Maybe Dermott?

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Man, you've got me thinking about some of our D from years ago. Klesla/Schlemko, remember their season of shutdown magic? Just Keith Ballard truckin dudes in open ice and putting bombs over the net haha. Similarly, Jovo suffered from putting bombs wide. OEL/Morris was nasty, as was Yandle/Michalek. We used to have such good blue lines.
Jason Demers

rt

May 13, 2004
so if we dont pull out of this funk , who is our trade bait at the deadline ? Zucker? I dont think you can trade Dumba .. Maybe Dermott?
Dermott is an offensive defenseman with zero points. He’d clear waivers 100%. He sucks. Haha.

Dumba was good in the playoffs last year. There’s a reason Dallas fans are booing him very time he touches the puck when we play them. If we retained 50% we’d probably get a 3rd rounder. Maybe a 4th.

Zucker might fetch a 3rd with max retention. Maybe a 4th.

Vejmelka might get a 3rd. If we take back a goalie who has a little NHL salary attached.

I don’t really see the point in doing any of those things, honestly. I’d rather just keep the guys happy and playing hard. And spare Tourigny a handful of extra ugly games. Those take a toll, I think.

Jason Demers
I think him and Stepan were my two least favorite Coyotes of the entire Chayka/Tocchet era.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Moser will probably have some seasons where he plays more like a very good 3rd pairing jack of all trades and some seasons where he plays like a solid 2nd pairing jack of all trades defenseman. aka a #4. Still great value to draft in the 2nd round and I'm glad we have him. But agreed I'm not daydreaming about him being much more than a good #4 guy.

We are still a ways out. I'm still very happy with the strides we've made these past two seasons. But I we got more building to do.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Alright. Time to be negative.

Keller's turnover to begin the game was brutal. Unfortunately, it set the tone of the game.

McBain needs to keep it more simple on the top line. Too many turnovers when he was taking on defensemen 1v1.

I forgot Carcone was on the team until I checked the box score after the game. 0 goals in 13 games.

As a Durzi fan, I don't think he has been good since returning from injury.

I don't care if Dermott is the new Christian Fischer this year as the locker room cheerleader. He needs to be out of the lineup. Bring Brown and Valimaki (whom I'm no fan of) back in the lineup and scratch Dumba and Dermott.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We need better defensemen. We're rolling a 2nd pair and 2 AHL pairs. Really hurts this squad.
I know Valimaki has not played the best this year, but Dumba has been downright terrible. You sit Valimaki and even Brown for that matter, but put up with Dumba and his play game in and game out. No wonder no other team wanted Dumba. BA was Dumba enough to be the one. I understand why he did it looking at our D, but man, how the hell can he be this bad.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Moser is a solid 2/3, Durzi a 4/5, then we have Dumba, Stecher, Dermott, and Kesselring just kinda there, for better or worse, usually worse.
Kesselring has played very well, same for Stecher, but we are comparing them to the rest of our D.

cant blame either G, the D gets beat over and over on breakaways and odd man rushes then throw in turnovers in the O Zone. dumba is good for 2 GA a game and dermott does nothing. Valimaki is in doghouse it seems and brown hasnt played in forever. I hope the dumba and dermott experiment end soon they bring nothing offensively and arent good on D. Moser, Durzi, kesselring (yeah makes some mistakes but is rookie and has offense side), stecher (nothing great but was +2 tonight is +6 on season), valimaki, and either bring up soda or use picks and get a ferraro or like (mid 20s 3/4 D, we arent getting hanifin or top pair yet)
Good post.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oh yea for sure. Zupa's and binge watching Echo. Perfect soup weather, and she loves their mushroom bisque. And we're both big Marvel-heads. Solid, solid entry for the MCU.

Echo was amazing. Still can't believe that this was only the second role for Alaqua Cox (her first being in Hawkeye). Just freaking great.

As for the hockey game, when I saw on my Google pinned score that the Flames had scored in the first 20 seconds of the game, I elected to skip it. Glad I did. Also glad I didn't shell out for cable to watch the team this year, and feeling less FOMO than ever about the fact that they'll likely not have a streaming option available for the rest of the season. Between the increasing numbers of horrible games and the increasing skepticism I have about the new arena (e.g. going from "They've picked a site!" to "We're going to announce the site we picked!" to "We're going to announce the sites that we're looking at and thinking of picking!" which is the reverse order to an actually healthy site selection process), my interest level is really ebbing fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille