GDT: Game #40: Flames vs Coyotes - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not the turnovers. It really isn't. It's the lack of situational awareness and proper positioning which is killing this team. I put that on Bear. Keller's turnover happens. There should have been at least one defensemen between the puck and the Coyotes blue line. Probably two. Both defensemen were caught going forward towards the Calgary goal. The D needs to know that when one of our "dangle-itis" forwards like Macelli, Cooley or Keller has the puck, there's a chance that he will be stripped. Somebody has to hang back.

Neither Durzi nor Dumba are playing responsible hockey out there.
Well, if you don't read the play correctly and you are not in the proper position, the likely hood of a turnover is very high. I think it's really kind of one of the same. You are kind of cherry picking the play here. Keller hardly ever makes a bad pass, and Moser is usually responsible. This was all Kellers fault, but Durzi had no business going forward as well. He should have stayed back.

i get after a awful homestand the mood has switched from playoff hopefuls to seeing all the problems (esp on D), but look at 2 short years ago (season keller got hurt) this was top 12F /6D scorers -
keller 63 pts schmaltz 59 kessel 52 boyd 35 crouse 34 hayton 24 galchenyk 21 erickson 19 larson 15 ritchie 14 ladd 12 and fisher 10
ghost 51 stralman 23 chychren 21 moser 15 mayo 12 capo 9
first how the hell did that team win a game? and look at the roster improvement in 1 1/2 years. we have a ton of young young guys who make mistakes but are improving.
looking at that bottom 6 i think current tucson top 6 is miles better.
of that 18 - 6 are still with team (boyd only one over 27yo and a UFA) 9 are out of the league
A rebuild in the NHL is hard and slow. We are seeing first hand. Yes we are getting better, but we have a long way to go.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I understand, but this isn't the first time we have seen these brutal mistakes, and to make it worst, the playoff bound teams are going to start playing for playoff position and every point is important. With Dumba, his footspeed is the least of my worries, it's what's between the ears. Dumba is second in giveaways for D, behind Durzi, but at least Durzi gives us proper PP minutes and produces.

He asks dumb questions. Even Bear gives him that look.
Durzi is asked to handle the puck a lot and start breakouts. He faces more pressure because when he is clear he produces a positive offensive outcome. With that comes the risk of more turnovers.

Compare him to Stecher who doesn't really make the great stickhandle or pass, but he's responsible enough to generally not just throw it away haphazardly. When Stecher has to give up the puck quickly he generally makes the decision to put it somewhere that isn't going to result in a quick turnover. You don't really see Stecher creating a great offensive chance, though he has surprised on a number of occasions this season. He's just smart and knows when he can actually try for the plays, though his ability to stickhandle, make the tape to tape pass, or put a puck on net through a crowd is limited.

The team also has plenty of guys you don't want handling the puck because they result in high danger turnovers repeatedly which outright loses you the game. I think Kesselring has moved away from this stage where rookies tend to get eaten alive, and up between that neutral to positive contributor when asked to handle the puck. He's not as consistent as Stecher, but has a higher ceiling so is going to get more touches.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Still dig this guy and have hope he will turn his season around...

"Terrible, I was awful and I let the guys down and I was terrible all night...It's my own fault and I've gotta be better." - Zucker
I respect him calling himself out and recognizing he wasn’t getting it done.

Now we gotta see if he backs it up with his next games. I hope so!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00