Pre-Game Talk: GAME #40 - Canucks @ Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Hopefully the Canucks can build up more of a cushion on the division because I suspect they'll need it. They're coming to the end of a ridiculously soft stretch of teams while Minnesota is about to start one in a couple of games. Here are the remaining schedules:

VAN:

@ CGY
@ COL
@ NSH
@ STL
@ DAL
vs. DET
vs. CHI
vs. ANA
@ EDM

MIN:

vs. CHI
vs. STL
vs. CBJ
@ CGY
@ EDM
@ SJS
vs. CGY
vs. LAK
vs. EDM
@ COL

I could see Minnesota easily getting 14-15 points out of that stretch which means the Canucks would need 11-12 points from their final 9. Getting 4 against CGY and COL to start the trip would put them in a pretty good spot.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
No one is sitting out for resting now, it is all about gearing up. I had the hope last season that the team saved itself but it was simple no higher gear. I have hope that the scenario is not the same this year, taken the centre situation recently and now.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
No one is sitting out for resting now, it is all about gearing up. I had the hope last season that the team saved itself but it was simple no higher gear. I have hope that the scenario is not the same this year, taken the centre situation recently and now.

We were fed false hope last year because Kesler was nursing/hiding a bum shoulder. Looking back at game footage you could see it in the way he raised his arms during goal celebrations. He's the engine that makes the team go, and if he's hobbled by injury, the team goes nowhere. I believe we won't see a repeat of last year, and I say that with confidence.

It's a blessing in disguise that he's been out for so long because the Canucks have flown under the radar this year. No one has them penciled as Cup contenders, often using last year as precedent, when all along they've been missing the big picture - the team goes nowhere without a healthy Kesler, and he hasn't been healthy since the Sharks series. Where do the Blackhawks go without a healthy Toews? How far does Boston go if Bergeron ends up wrecking his shoulder?

The Canucks, while not the strongest Western Conference team at wing - perhaps even far from it - now have a 1-2-3 centre punch that can only be matched by Los Angeles (a unique case in their own right, but also an analysis for another time) and San Jose.

There's a big trickle-down effect. Knock out Daniel Sedin and the team doesn't feel the same effect because the Sedins operate in a separate system. I feel very confident in that assessment, though I can't quantify the real effects of this scenario because it has yet to happen - remember that when Daniel was injured, Kesler was too.

I think I'd illustrate it like this:

aq0c2VW.jpg

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Chicago example doesn't work because Toews is part of Chicago's primary offensive unit. The Boston example does work, however, as Krejci is Boston's top centre, with Bergeron stationed behind him.

Last edited:

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I would go:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Roy-Weise
Sestito-Lapierre-Pinnizzotto

Just for kicks and to see how Raymond and Roy do together. It would be nice to know what options we have come playoff time. Probably don't want to split up that top line right now though.

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010
Watching the Canada v USA women's game.

American women's PP AND the Canadian women's PK both look more dynamic than ours :cry:

Keeping their feet moving, challenging and pressuring players with speed, quick passing, hitting, shooting.

Why can't we do that? :rant:

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Watching the Canada v USA women's game.

American women's PP AND the Canadian women's PK both look more dynamic than ours :cry:

Keeping their feet moving, challenging and pressuring players with speed, hitting, shooting.

Why can't we do that? :rant:

You're watching women's hockey? :laugh:

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
So this looks like the lineup for the next game.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Kassian
Weise-Roy-Hansen
Sestito-Lapierre-Pinnizzotto

Swap Hansen and Weise, I believe Hansen has played LW before when he was first on the team. Weise is not a 3rd liner and IMO he seems overwhelmed when he is given extra responsibility.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
At this point we are likely better off loading up the offense on two lines and using the third as a temporary grinder. It couldn't hurt to see if Roy and Kesler have chemistry together. It will not happen but I would love:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Obviously, not the aforementioned grinder line, but it would allow us to not spread our offense too thin and use.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
At this point we are likely better off loading up the offense on two lines and using the third as a temporary grinder. It couldn't hurt to see if Roy and Kesler have chemistry together. It will not happen but I would love:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Roy - Kesler

Obviously, not the aforementioned grinder line, but it would allow us to not spread our offense too thin and use.

I'd love that.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Roy - Kesler

was just gonna suggest this lineup, imo now would be a good time to screw around with the lines to see what could potentially work and what doesn't

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Only problem is we don't really have a shutdown line...

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Roy - Kesler

wouldnt that be our shutdown line?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
wouldnt that be our shutdown line?

If by shutdown you mean stop the other team from scoring because no one can take the puck off of Roysy's stick, then yes. I think Roy and Kesler would kill it. Roy can reminds me a bit of Patrick Kane and Kes played with pat kane in the 2010 olympics. I just have a damn good feeling that those 2 would tear it up together.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Lower body injury could be back before the playoffs. I hope its about 2-4 weeks to recover.

EDIT: Knee sprain it also really depends on the person. It could possibly be 4-6 I hope not.

I read according to minor research I did it depends on what grade it is, ranging from a week to several weeks.

The fact that he played the game and looked good, and looked fine post game hopefully means its not to bad.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I read according to minor research I did it depends on what grade it is, ranging from a week to several weeks.

The fact that he played the game and looked good, and looked fine post game hopefully means its not to bad.

Yeah I agree with you he did look pretty good last night on the ice he was everywhere. I hope it's not long according to your research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad