Pre-Game Talk: GAME #40 - Canucks @ Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

yapperface

Bo Knows
Jan 22, 2010
British Columbia
Meh I don't think people have anything personal against Ebbet. It's just the fact he should nowhere be near a contending teams top 9. Schroeder does everything better IMO. But can't blame Ebbet for AV's decesions.

Don't worry, if we go on any kind of a long run, injuries will necessitate Schroeder, who will have been playing all minutes in Chicago.

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
I think Calgary should just blow these last few games, pull the goalie and play 6 v 5 for the final 10 minutes of the game to make sure they lose. Canucks win 8-1 and get 2 points.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
See above. It's not as if Barker and Alberts are playing a top four role, or getting PP time whatever. They just plain suck.

Ebbett sucks, he is an AHLer, in the same sense that Barker should be an AHLer and Alberts should be a #7 guy. When they play above their skill level they struggle and it is frustrating to watch. You cannot defend Ebbett, and not both Barker and Alberts

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ebbett sucks, he is an AHLer, in the same sense that Barker should be an AHLer and Alberts should be a #7 guy. When they play above their skill level they struggle and it is frustrating to watch. You cannot defend Ebbett, and not both Barker and Alberts

And whose fault is that? They're capable of being temporary replacements in the NHL. Like I said, Barker/Alberts aren't getting top four minutes, they are just better off as spares, or nowhere near the NHL. When Ebbett is being used on the second, third lines, and on the PK, he's being given a role he cannot handle, and that is unfair. I don't believe the same has been done with Alberts/Barker playing PK/PP or top four minutes.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
And whose fault is that? They're capable of being temporary replacements in the NHL. Like I said, Barker/Alberts aren't getting top four minutes, they are just better off as spares, or nowhere near the NHL. When Ebbett is being used on the second, third lines, and on the PK, he's being given a role he cannot handle, and that is unfair. I don't believe the same has been done with Alberts/Barker playing PK/PP or top four minutes.

Ebbett doesn't suit the top 9, and doesn't bring any physicality so he's useless on the fourth line, I don't know how you are defending Ebbett, and not Barker and Alberts. They are all bad players, we shouldn't hate them, and really we don't we are just mad that they are being used above their skill level and in poor situations. Putting Barker with Ballard isn't ideal for Barker, but he gets no support.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ebbett doesn't suit the top 9, and doesn't bring any physicality so he's useless on the fourth line, I don't know how you are defending Ebbett, and not Barker and Alberts. They are all bad players, we shouldn't hate them, and really we don't we are just mad that they are being used above their skill level and in poor situations. Putting Barker with Ballard isn't ideal for Barker, but he gets no support.

So, why are people still hating Ebbett, and not AV for this then? I always see that it's "Ebbett this, Ebbett that", yet it's not AV that takes blame. I'm not advocating using Ebbett on the fourth line regularly. He's nothing more than a player that comes into the lineup temporarily when there is an injury, and plays a limited role. I've said why I am not defending Barker and Alberts, they're not getting increased roles like Ebbett has, and let's hope that day never comes because there's no doubt in my mind they would do much worse than Ebbett in a more increased role. What is ideal for Barker? Nothing. It's why he should be nowhere near the NHL.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So, why are people still hating Ebbett, and not AV for this then? I always see that it's "Ebbett this, Ebbett that", yet it's not AV that takes blame. I'm not advocating using Ebbett on the fourth line regularly. He's nothing more than a player that comes into the lineup temporarily when there is an injury, and plays a limited role. I've said why I am not defending Barker and Alberts, they're not getting increased roles like Ebbett has, and let's hope that day never comes because there's no doubt in my mind they would do much worse than Ebbett in a more increased role. What is ideal for Barker? Nothing. It's why he should be nowhere near the NHL.

They are getting increased roles, they shouldn't be playing on a nightly basis, but we rarely have a healthy enough defense to push them down the depth chart.

There is no ideal for Ebbett, he has failed in every role, second, third, and fourth line, just the same as Barker.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I disagree. Is he great? No course not. Is he serviceable? You bet.

You're making him out to be waaaaay worse than he actually is lol.

All I am saying is that he is not good enough to have a roster spot on this team. The posters defending Ebbett were arguing that it is not his fault that he is put in positions where he is just not good enough to succeed and I would agree with that, and mentioned that I don't think a ton of people actually hate Ebbett, they are just frustrated that he is in the role that he is in, and most people I have seen have blamed AV, not Ebbett outside of the GDTs.

I commented on the fact that even though the hate Ebbett gets is unwarranted, so is the hate for Barker and Alberts. All of these players imo are not good enough to be playing in regular roles, but are fine as spare players to fill in. I just didn't understand the defending of Ebbett without also defending Alberts and Barker

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I don't like this matchup at all, Calgary played us hard last time and they'll be pissed they lost, they have nothing to lose and a lot of guys playing for roster spots. Would not surprise me at all if we lost or had a close call. Expect a rough game.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Negative comments toward Ebbett go hand in hand with criticising AV and should be considered implied. Unless the individual opts to specify in a somewhat lengthily analysis of AV's coaching decisions, it merely easier to 'blame' Ebbett with the actual intent seemingly obvious. In some cases, it is pure satire because of the hyperbole people attach to players they dislike. For instance, no one thinks Subban is awful, yet people will criticise him to troll the Hab fans, who predictability come to his rescue. Perhaps a better example is Bieksa. We call mock him with the moniker "Casual Kev" and practically rip he to pieces in the GDTs. I doubt you'll find to many Nuck fans that actually dislike him, but our GDTs would certainly lead you to believe otherwise.

Put simply, it's just the nature of how criticism in sports works. People tend to target what they witness because it's reactionary and easy.

Personally, I find Ebbett offers no benefit to our lineup, not even in a fourth line capacity. He is a depth player at best with limited physicality and no inherent skill worth speaking of, thus making him a liability to whomever he plays with. Raymond and Hansen are worse by simple virtue of Ebbett being their centre. He has no foot speed, lackluster acceleration and once again, is not physical. If one of those traits were present - and only mediocre even - Ebbett would be fine.

What bothers me though has little to do with Ebbett and more on AV, for not using the obviously superior Schroeder.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Ebbett is playing good now that he is in a role he's more suited for, he's like a utility-man infielder sort of player right, he's doing well in the deeper line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad