Post-Game Talk: GAME #40: Canucks def. Oilers - 4-2 (Motte, Boeser, Pettersson, Roussel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
After a game where we were the better team and a lost, seems about fitting that we were the lesser team and won. Canucks let the Oilers dictate the pace and flow of the game for much of it. Markstrom was huge once again, we capitalized on our chances, and I thought that the Beagle/Roussel/Motte line did a terrific job as a whole tonight.

Markstrom playing the best hockey of his career right now. Really, really solid and his ability to play the puck and thus neuter the opposition forecheck is key.

Pettersson with another world class shot to go along with a sublime setup to Boeser - he got himself into some trouble later overplaying the puck, but he was dangerous all night. Wish he’d succeeded in sucking Draisatl into a penalty.

Edler/Tanev were fantastic tonight. The rest of the defense was less fantastic - everyone else struggled to make the right play tonight, whether it was a simple zone clear / exit, or not passing the puck right up the gut. A lot of defensive brain cramps tonight that should have Nolan Baumgartner sitting down with the guys to watch some tape.

Gaudette definitely Utica bound when Sutter gets back. He’s got good wheels and gets himself into the zone, but needs to work on creating space between himself and the defender to get a shot or a pass off. Right now is playing too close of a gap and getting stick checked rather easily.

Tyler Motte having a Fred J. Hume Award worthy season. All hustle and heart - did a lot of great work all over the ice tonight. Reminded me of Jannik Hansen in his hayday.

Thrilled to beat the Oilers as always - hope the team plays a better game as a whole next time out.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure HItchcock is the right coach for the oilers, I think their big issue is not being able to manufacture offence outside of McDavid.

But of course he will do his usual thing and shore up the defence. But at the end of the day I don't think that it solves the long-term issues on the OIlers.

Hitchcock teams usually have great defense, Oilers lack that big time.
There is no Hatcher/Pieterangelo/Zubov on this team...and he's over playing McDavid way too much.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
There is no Hatcher/Pieterangelo/Zubov on this team...and he's over playing McDavid way too much.

He has to overplay McDavid. The team is terrible when he's not on the ice.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Coaching is not the issue in Edmonton anymore. That excuse is long overused.

McLellan is a damn good coach and he got fired. The issue is the player acquisition. The Hall trade alone is a fireable offense. Pissing away a productive forward in Jordan Eberle was bad, too. Giving up those picks for Griffin Reinhart. Going all in on Cam Talbot as a starter. And screwing the Development of Puljujaarvi so quickly after screwing up Yakupov...outside of Nurse, there’s no one I would want off their defense.

Take McDavid off that team, and it’s utterly terrifying how terrible they would be.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
McLellan is a damn good coach and he got fired. The issue is the player acquisition. The Hall trade alone is a fireable offense. Pissing away a productive forward in Jordan Eberle was bad, too. Giving up those picks for Griffin Reinhart. Going all in on Cam Talbot as a starter. And screwing the Development of Puljujaarvi so quickly after screwing up Yakupov...outside of Nurse, there’s no one I would want off their defense.

Take McDavid off that team, and it’s utterly terrifying how terrible they would be.

If nothing changes I feel the next step up will be McDavid demanding a trade while flipping double bird to Chiarelli.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I remember all the crying in here when people wanted a 4th or 5th rounder instead of Motte. Wah...
Just like all the crying when they signed the 3 UFA's - "they are going to take away ice time from the young guys". Which young guys have they taken away ice time from? Gaunce? LOL. yeah, Gaunce, the advanced stats king (just cos he was a grand master Gillis pick).

Roussel looking solid. Motte winning battles all over the place. Great pickups by "dim jim".

Easy there. Schaller is just a poor player and brutal signing. Beagle in year 3 and 4 won't be pretty. And when Sutter comes back there will be veterans in the way of Gaudette.

Eriksson, Del Zotto, Gagner were not good signings.

Roussel his first decent signing.

Reactions: Canucks5551

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
8.5 mil and needs to be paired with McDavid to produce anything. I'd take Horvat over his overpaid lazy ass.

Reminds me when Tomas Kaberle was paid like 5 million dollars 'just to pass the puck' to Bryan McCabe on the PP. McCabe was a good offensive defensemen but he was a wreck defensively, Kaberle was the better overall player.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Reminds me when Tomas Kaberle was paid like 5 million dollars 'just to pass the puck' to Bryan McCabe on the PP. McCabe was a good offensive defensemen but he was a wreck defensively, Kaberle was the better overall player.
I actually think McCabe was 3rd or 4th in Norris trophy voting one season (that should tell you how much offense holds a premium).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Has no idea of how to build a blueline...hmmmm....sounds familiar (but at least we have Hughes coming up from the pipeline.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Lol this team is a point out of a playoff spot (albeit with two more games played than the Stars)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Yeah he doesn't have that stud d-man really on this team. But it would be ok if he came in and tightened everything up....obviously that will improve things but he also has to be able to get something out of the other forward lines which I don't think he has a good history of.

That Dallas team was airtight defensively and had a good goalie but in that era they were also scoring 3 goals per game in the dead puck era. That was a result of personnel not system and I've seen it play out on every team he's been on.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The long-term issues for the Oilers are that their prospect pool is garbage and they are capped out for the next couple of seasons. They basically have no means to improve their currently mediocre team unless they want to start trading their 1st round picks, which would be a really bad idea.

Fair enough. That's a lot of my fear for the Canucks, since we keep overpaying for things. If you look at some of our bloated contracts IMO they are the wrong timeframe considering some of the players we will have to pay to keep in the near future.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
We have poor depth but shockingly Edmonton's is even worse. McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent Hopkins and a bunch of 4th liners and AHL types. Won't be long till Chiarelli is canned.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Another great defensive hold.

McDavid is a beast of a player that we barely held in check... puck luck and team effort in our favor.

I honestly wonder how McDavid's teammates feel about themselves...

Some team out there needs to snag Tobias Reider from the Oilers...
I really liked him as a yote and had hoped we targeted last July 1st... but man is he completely floundering there... zero goals? With his speed?Past production and versatility? Insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad