Post-Game Talk: Game 4: Tampa @ Ottawa 4pm (TSN5)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Namestikov at almost 27, isn't going to become a regular 40-50 point player. He's a decent 3rd line player on most teams, and an "ok" 2nd liner on the Sens. Why wouldn't you flip him for a chance at getting a stud in this draft? We have tons of kids coming up that can fill his role, especially a year from now.
It all depends on how much it takes to sign him. If it's on a short and reasonable contract, where we can still flip him a few years later for a good return, why not keep him for the time being?

Honestly don't know what it takes to sign him. Guy on a $4M/yr contract who can be acquired for a 4th round pick and an AHLer can't be all that expensive (for now!). We have trouble signing good free agents, and our best chance is to just re-sign who's already here (though that didn't work with Stone, Duchene, etc.). We do need to spend some money, so might as well be on a guy like Namestnikov rather than Hainsey.

There's room for him. No hurry to bring in prospects who aren't ready yet, and a few vets will be traded at the deadline. Also a plus to have a contingent of Russians which might make this place attractive to KHLers, assuming we one day send a scout further East than Casselman.

Finally, it's unclear whether a late 1st rounder can be any better than Namestnikov.

We need some skill on this team. Him and Duclair need to be signed IMO (again, all depending on how much it'll take, of course).

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Are you a caaaoopp ?

giphy.gif

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
By the way I predicted Namestnikov would have two goals against the blues. He didn’t but he has two goals tonight. So...... I guess I can predict the future. But like.... not in the event I said.

anyway I’m going to bed.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
This was more I pressure game by Sens I have seen in a long time.

Solid fore-check, playing the man, clogging the centerzone, making simple solays not trying to be fancy. Keeping defense positions in no matter what. This is type of game and system we need to play all the time, keeps us in the games and a chance to compete.

I don't want to kill the tank but this is how we progress and it was a solid effort from the entire team today. I enjoyed watching the game and hope they can keep it up. They do that and they will surprise a few teams! I loved the work ethic, strong fore-check and defensive play against a team that could have blown us out.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Like I said, we have tons of players ready or soon-to-be ready to take on the role Namestikov would fill. No point in keeping him around. It's fine to have him around right now as we let the kids gain confidence in the AHL, but soon enough he'll be expendable and we aren't likely to get a better return later on. Plus, with a late 1st, we could fill holes elsewhere in the lineup(at D esp.).

I don’t think it’s true we have a 2nd line LW who can just step in next season or even in 2-3 years. Who is this player?

Sens for so long have decided that Wericoche or Ceci we’re top 4 Dman because that’s what they drafted to do, or Lazar was a full time 3rd liner because he was a 1st pick who won in junior,p.

Let’s have some respect for the real NHLers that are good and can make an impact. There is no one in the Sens system who could do what Namestikov can do today next season, or in 2-3 years. Formenton, Balcers, or whoever else is on that list isn’t an everyday top 6 NHL player who can impact a game

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This was more I pressure game by Sens I have seen in a long time.

Solid fore-check, playing the man, clogging the centerzone, making simple solays not trying to be fancy. Keeping defense positions in no matter what. This is type of game and system we need to play all the time, keeps us in the games and a chance to compete.

I don't want to kill the tank but this is how we progress and it was a solid effort from the entire team today. I enjoyed watching the game and hope they can keep it up. They do that and they will surprise a few teams! I loved the work ethic, strong fore-check and defensive play against a team that could have blown us out.

Watching DJ Smith system vs Guy Boucher System - Boucher might have had the worst fan-enjoyment system of hockey ever devised.

I like DJ Smith and how he coaches, the team is starting to form together and compete and they care. That win was purely about a team being more hungry then the other team, I liked it

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don’t think it’s true we have a 2nd line LW who can just step in next season or even in 2-3 years. Who is this player?

Sens for so long have decided that Wericoche or Ceci we’re top 4 Dman because that’s what they drafted to do, or Lazar was a full time 3rd liner because he was a 1st pick who won in junior,p.

Let’s have some respect for the real NHLers that are good and can make an impact. There is no one in the Sens system who could do what Namestikov can do today next season, or in 2-3 years. Formenton, Balcers, or whoever else is on that list isn’t an everyday top 6 NHL player who can impact a game

People seem to be under the impression that Namestikov is some sort of venerable top-6 player when he's been a 30 point player for most of his career. Two good games don't change that. And come on, if you don't think any upcoming prospect can achieve or best these stats, you must think we're in an even worse position than even I think we are.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
People seem to be under the impression that Namestikov is some sort of venerable top-6 player when he's been a 30 point player for most of his career. Two good games don't change that. And come on, if you don't think any upcoming prospect can achieve or best these stats, you must think we're in an even worse position than even I think we are.

So who replaces him next year? Who’s the LW that steps into the top 6 next year that can match his speed and puck movement?

He played with Stamkos and Kucherov - his production might not be amazing but he’s a top 6 NHL forward.

Ottawa is going to win with depth and not superstar talent - I’m all for keeping the solid NHL players. This idea that Batherson steps in for a stone and Bobby Ryan steps in for Alfie and Boro steps in for Marc Methot it’s pie in the sky, legit everyday NHL players are rare, you don’t just replace Filip Kuba with Patrick Wericoche or Daniel Alfredsson with Bobby Ryan. It’s not s points in points out system + and that’s why Ottawa has sucked for so long because they think the players they draft are legit when in fact they are anything but that.

edgeoftheearth

Aug 12, 2016
Good game tonight. After the Blues letdown we were definitely due for a win. Would be nice if we were 2-2 but just gotta keep the momentum going into Monday.

Does anyone know what's going on with Boedker? I was at the home opener and he player and didn't look too good and I noticed he hasn't played since.. injured or healthy scratch? Also hopefully Anisimov's injury isn't too longterm.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So who replaces him next year? Who’s the LW that steps into the top 6 next year that can match his speed and puck movement?

He played with Stamkos and Kucherov - his production might not be amazing but he’s a top 6 NHL forward.

Ottawa is going to win with depth and not superstar talent - I’m all for keeping the solid NHL players. This idea that Batherson steps in for a stone and Bobby Ryan steps in for Alfie and Boro steps in for Marc Methot it’s pie in the sky, legit everyday NHL players are rare, you don’t just replace Filip Kuba with Patrick Wericoche or Daniel Alfredsson with Bobby Ryan. It’s not s points in points out system + and that’s why Ottawa has sucked for so long because they think the players they draft are legit when in fact they are anything but that.

So you'd sign him to 4M+? There is no way in hell I would do that for a 3rd liner. I'm not re-signing Namestnikov. The guy is just not that good. We have equivalent talents in the AHL. Chlapik for one.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
GARRIOCH GAME REPORT: Senators strike down Lightning to give coach Smith his first NHL win

"... while Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Colin White, two guys the Senators needed more from on this day to have success, also scored. "

So what's up with the pokes at White? First in the intermission, he made a point of singling White out and somewhat less so, again in his article Is this a setup to move White off that line? Who would be the source of this? Is is a setup to move him to the wing? or is Bruce just spouting off on a 2nd year player thrust in a bigger role than he should be after 3 games in?

I can't wait for the followup...

" Lets face it .. Colin White is just not the 1st line center this organization was looking for"

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
He's been very good so far. I hope the haters cool it a bit on that front: he still makes mistakes and falls down a lot but he's more helpful than not.

Ryan sees the ice well and makes good passes in the offensive zone. He also comes back to break up plays. He doesn't move extremely well and isn't as physical as he was when he first arrived in Ottawa. Overall, I think he helps at both ends of the ice and he's probably a good guy in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad