Post-Game Talk: Game 4: Tampa @ Ottawa 4pm (TSN5)

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Imagine if Namestnikov breaks out here and nets us a first at the deadline. That'd be so dope. Didn't see the game anyone have thought on his game? Dude had 20+ minutes tonight with tons of special teams play. That's huge.

He's 26....if he's good shouldn't we...... keep him??!!

1 in the hand is better than 4x 2nd round pics in the bush, no?

#mixedmetaphors

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

#mixedmetaphors

What role would he fill long term? Do we not have all the middle-6 40pt players we could ever wish for?

If by some miracle he can nab us a late 1st or an early 2nd this upcoming draft, you have to pounce on that. It's literally the whole point of rebuilding, to get high draft picks for depth players.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

#mixedmetaphors

Yeah... why not keep him??? It's not like he's a washed up vet.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It is one game, plenty of players can have one or two good games. However, if Namestnikov is still rolling along by the deadline, they better sign him, or if he is not in the long term plans then trade him for something decent because I could see him signing with another team in the summer.

It is going to be a rather tough decision as one season is never really enough to justify a long term contract, but if he is willing to accept a two year deal then I agree with ^senswon^ that I would rather sign him than trade him for a couple of picks that might amount to nothing.

Reactions: senswon

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What role would he fill long term? Do we not have all the middle-6 40pt players we could ever wish for?

If by some miracle he can nab us a late 1st or an early 2nd this upcoming draft, you have to pounce on that. It's literally the whole point of rebuilding, to get high draft picks for depth players.

It's literally not. The point of rebuilding is moving out underperforming core players for younger players.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Part of the re-build is to actually have some NHL players capable of producing in the next couple of years. Simply stocking up picks and prospects at this point is not going to advance the rebuild and they might not be ready for at least 4-5 years (look how long it is taking L.Brown). At 26 years old Namestnikov will only still be under 30 when this team "should" start being competitive and the young players will need some veterans to lean on at some point.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Part of the re-build is to actually have some NHL players capable of producing in the next couple of years. Simply stocking up picks and prospects at this point is not going to advance the rebuild and they might not be ready for at least 4-5 years (look how long it is taking L.Brown). At 26 years old Namestnikov will only still be under 30 when this team "should" start being competitive and the young players will need some veterans to lean on at some point.

All we have are mediocre vets on this team. The benefits of having a slightly better middle-6 for a few years are nowhere near what a late 1st rounder in this draft could potentially return. Players like Namestikov are always available for cheap in the off-season.

Reactions: Alex1234

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So say we could get a late 1st for Namestikov, you don't think that's a prime example of how a rebuilding team should operate?

If he continues to play like he is? Absolutely not. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Besides, you don't want a team strictly made up of 22 year olds. He's only 26 years old.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If he continues to play like he is? Absolutely not. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Besides, you don't want a team strictly made up of 22 year olds. He's only 26 years old.

I agree with this; if (and it's a big if) Namestnikov plays like this for a full season keeping and shipping out the likes of Tierney, Boedker... would be ideal.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
So say we could get a late 1st for Namestikov, you don't think that's a prime example of how a rebuilding team should operate?

All we have are mediocre vets on this team. The benefits of having a slightly better middle-6 for a few years are nowhere near what a late 1st rounder in this draft could potentially return. Players like Namestikov are always available for cheap in the off-season.

I suppose the term "re-build" is rather subjective as it appears there is no definitive set of rules as to how a team should progress through one.

It all comes down to a predetermined time-line for eventual success and you work around that by making the necessary moves (I am referring to the G.M here). Dorion estimated that this current rebuild will only take 3 years (including last season) to get this team back to playoff contention, which in my opinion is a bit too optimistic.

That means this team is not counting on late picks from next years draft as the pieces which will jump in and push the team over the hump. Aside from maybe 2 or 3 players in most drafts, and specifically the top 2 picks, it is very rare for a young player to step in right after his draft year and make an impact. They need time in either junior or AHL or even both in most cases. The only way a player drafted next year makes an impact is if we draft top 5.

With that said, we have to assume that if the rebuild is a 3-4 year plan, then it is important to dissect what we believe should be the bar of expectations by year 4. Is battling for a playoff spot enough? Does making the playoffs become the expectation or is it time to compete for the cup? If your answer is "battle for a playoff spot" then I agree you sell high this year and hope that whoever you draft in next years draft is ready in 3-4 years to help us fight for a playoff spot.

If you believe, however, that in 3-4 years this team should be a playoff lock then you are going to need to speed up the process and sign a few guys like Namestnikov who are in that ripe age range where they can help us this season, next season and still be young enough to lead the team in 3 to 4 years.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Namestikov at almost 27, isn't going to become a regular 40-50 point player. He's a decent 3rd line player on most teams, and an "ok" 2nd liner on the Sens. Why wouldn't you flip him for a chance at getting a stud in this draft? We have tons of kids coming up that can fill his role, especially a year from now.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Namestikov at almost 27, isn't going to become a regular 40-50 point player. He's a decent 3rd line player on most teams, and an "ok" 2nd liner on the Sens. Why wouldn't you flip him for a chance at getting a stud in this draft? We have tons of kids coming up that can fill his role, especially a year from now.

Ok, but you don't get a "stud" with a late 1st round pick. You get someone like Namestnikov, who himself was a late 1st round pick.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We looked good in the first period of the first game against the high powered leaf offence before the leafs started to put some distance between us in terms of controlling the play

We looked good for the first two periods against the cup champs in the second game before letting the Blues get back into it and get ahead.

We looks good for three full periods in the third game against the best team in the league last year. Out shot them, out chanced them, out hustled them, killed all of our penalties, and really took it to them on the forecheck, and everyone hit them every chance we could.

Outstanding game! We have really upped the tempo and temperature of our game the last two. The Russians have been good. Z is so much better than Ceci, and if he can continue to perform at this level, his contract will be a nice steal for a physical top 4 defender who can move the Puck. Name was great this game, you can see he has skill.

Tierney has had a really good start to the year in my opinion, in the last two games especially I have noticed him make some great things happen almost every time he’s on the ice. He attacks the net!

Duclair has been really solid as well, and has been a bit of a pleasant surprise on the PK. He looks comfortable and is playing hard on the defensive side of things as well as using his speed to create chances every game.

White has been excellent on the forecheck and back check, he works his ass off. Glad to see him pot one today, it was well deserved.

Brannstrom is going to be really good. He can skate, pass, and attacks the puck eventhough he’s smaller than almost everyone else. Makes smart plays in the d zone. It’s really nice to see this team have a handful of guys who can play defence now.

Wasn’t expecting to win heading into the third, but I was thoroughly entertained for the entire game, so tenacious!

JPG with the Gordy Howe Hattrick!!!! Attaboy, he was engaged this game and looked to be back to his usual self, good to see.

Reactions: coladin

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ok, but you don't get a "stud" with a late 1st round pick. You get someone like Namestnikov, who himself was a late 1st round pick.

Like I said, we have tons of players ready or soon-to-be ready to take on the role Namestikov would fill. No point in keeping him around. It's fine to have him around right now as we let the kids gain confidence in the AHL, but soon enough he'll be expendable and we aren't likely to get a better return later on. Plus, with a late 1st, we could fill holes elsewhere in the lineup(at D esp.).

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This team played a style that reminded me of the Jacques Martin years. Tight, but tones of pressure and forced shots from the outside, and very little up the middle. This is a style of play that can work with this gang.

Glad that White scored, as he has been getting into a groove. I think these guys need to play regularly. Can’t wait to go Monday!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Tierney, JPG, and Name play the year like they did the last two games, I’d be happy to keep them all for as long as it continues, or until some of the kids make them expendable.

None of the kids in Belleville look nearly as effective as these guys at the moment, and it would be harmful to the team and the rebuild to jettison any of them before having their hand forced by some of the kids.

Anisimov, Ennis, Boedker, Hainsey are already players that are temporary, and can give up their spots next year to any kids that are ready. It’s unlikely that there will be more than 4 prospects earning spots realistically.

Then we have Ryan, Boro, Sabourin, to consider as well before we start looking at trading guys that are looking to be pretty effective.

Anyways, time will tell, but the fire sale is over in my opinion, we shouldn’t be looking to sell of anymore players for the sake of it. We’re set up for the next two drafts, we need to make the actual NHL team the right environment.

Just my take on it :)

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Like I said, we have tons of players ready or soon-to-be ready to take on the role Namestikov would fill. No point in keeping him around. It's fine to have him around right now as we let the kids gain confidence in the AHL, but soon enough he'll be expendable and we aren't likely to get a better return later on. Plus, with a late 1st, we could fill holes elsewhere in the lineup(at D esp.).

When was the last time a defenseman drafted late in the first round actually became impactful within the first 2-3 years after being drafted? Almost all impactful d-men are drafted early on and the ones that are drafted in later rounds take more time to develop. The issue is not whether adding more picks is a good thing or not, but rather if we have a proven commodity, is it worth the risk in losing him just so we can receive a draft pick in return that we use to draft a player who may or may not pan out?

Think along the lines of players such as Puempel, Noesen, O'Brien, Gagne, Weircioch, heck even Lazar at 17th overall was a massive disappointment. Goes without saying I would gladly keep Namestnikov over all of these players at this point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa has 13 UFAs in the organization that they can move leading up to the trade deadline, however, I'd be very surprised if they are able to move all of them. MacArthur & Callahan's contracts are up & both should likely retire after this yr. Goloubef & Szwartz are UFAs & mostly AHL & depth players & I doubt anyone cares much if either are kept or traded although could help Belleville. Anderson is a UFA & pushing 40 soon & will probably not be re-signed, although the jury is still out on Nilsson & whether he can take over the #1 role. Hogber IMO should be ready for NHL backup duty by the new yr.

On defence Hainsey, Boroweicki & DeMello are all UFAs & Ottawa might be able to get something for each of them although DeMello might return the most. It wouldn't surprise me if one of Hainsey & Boro or both are retained for another season, while DeMello could be replaced by Jaros. At forward Ennis & Boedker are two UFAs that should be traded, if possible & probably Sabourin although I like his play so far.

That leaves Pageau & Namestikov as the two UFAs that IMO will be the most difficult to decide whether to keep or trade while their value is high. I have no idea what they will do with these two, however, it also wouldn't surprise me if they traded someone else in order to keep these two like Tierny who is off to a good start so far this yr. Should be interesting what this GM does with his UFA players & assets this yr & whether he is able to build this team back up.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
Just finished watching the game after some Thanksgiving activities, gotta say boys played great, that tip pass by Tkachuk (sorry if it has been mentioned, which I know it has been) was amazing. I thought Ryan was solid and Vlady was solid. Great game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad