Post-Game Talk: Game 4: Tampa @ Ottawa 4pm (TSN5)

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
GARRIOCH GAME REPORT: Senators strike down Lightning to give coach Smith his first NHL win

"... while Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Colin White, two guys the Senators needed more from on this day to have success, also scored. "

So what's up with the pokes at White? First in the intermission, he made a point of singling White out and somewhat less so, again in his article Is this a setup to move White off that line? Who would be the source of this? Is is a setup to move him to the wing? or is Bruce just spouting off on a 2nd year player thrust in a bigger role than he should be after 3 games in?

I can't wait for the followup...

" Lets face it .. Colin White is just not the 1st line center this organization was looking for"
Ya I don't get it. Here is our clear cut best centreman.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I don't think it is unreasonable to say the team could use more scoring from White and I'm probably White's biggest fan on here.
I think he's played as well as can be expected. The pairing of him and Tkachuk seem to be the only consistent players to drive offence since the start of the season from what I've seen.

Reactions: Sen sational

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
One thing a player should never worry about is Bruce Garrioch's opinion that guy clearly knows nothing about hockey. If he is just spouting off Melnyks opinion that is someone that knows even less about hockey.

Look at the two players they called out, White has had a different RW every game almost and is playing against the other teams best players. Pageau has been playing with Sabourin, Boedker, Abramov and Chlapik... In a 4th line role, pretty hard to succeed in both these players positions.

White has had a slow start but he is playing against the other teams best players. He was really involved last night, mixing it up with Hedman behind the play, heavy on the forcheck. Him and Brady were really good yesterday.

Good game from Namestinikov Pageau and Brown. I always thought Pageau and Brown would play well together they have similar styles. Pageau is a way better player than Anisimov there is no way he should be playing behind him. When Pageau is involved physically he is simply a way better player.

Thought Zaitsev was really good too.

Loved Sabourins back hand toe drag and net drive, too bad he lost palat on that back check. Him and Abramov didnt get a shift after that. The real mistake was Boro's pinch in the neutral zone, but god knows he cant be at fault for anything.

The last two games were fun to watch, I think teams take them lightly it will change eventually. With the sens goaltending I am not too worried they win too much this year, so ill enjoy the wins when they happen.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
One thing a player should never worry about is Bruce Garrioch's opinion that guy clearly knows nothing about hockey. If he is just spouting off Melnyks opinion that is someone that knows even less about hockey.

Look at the two players they called out, White has had a different RW every game almost and is playing against the other teams best players. Pageau has been playing with Sabourin, Boedker, Abramov and Chlapik... In a 4th line role, pretty hard to succeed in both these players positions.

White has had a slow start but he is playing against the other teams best players. He was really involved last night, mixing it up with Hedman behind the play, heavy on the forcheck. Him and Brady were really good yesterday.

Good game from Namestinikov Pageau and Brown. I always thought Pageau and Brown would play well together they have similar styles. Pageau is a way better player than Anisimov there is no way he should be playing behind him. When Pageau is involved physically he is simply a way better player.

Loved Sabourins back hand toe drag and net drive, too bad he lost palat on that back check. Him and Abramov didnt get a shift after that. The real mistake was Boro's pinch in the neutral zone, but god knows he cant be at fault for anything.

The last two games were fun to watch, I think teams take them lightly it will change eventually. With the sens goaltending I am not too worried they win too much this year, so ill enjoy the wins when they happen.

White is not sufficiently skilled to be a #1 center so he is generally over-matched there. He is more like a 2.5 seeking to be come a #2.
There must be an injury to Anisimov that is preventing him from playing better because he looks slow and uninvolved.
I recall seeing Zaitsev playing for the Leafs and being a physical player in front of the net. I saw some of that in the last game and hope he keeps that up.
Boro hit the man with the puck, knocking him down. He did his job. Abramov was not covering for him and did not go goaltender side of the puck, thus losing his man. Then Sabourin loses his man as you said, not taking his stick out of the play. Two mistakes by the forwards, not by Boro on that goal IMO.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

That’s how I am. We will still tank but getting wins over top teams like Tampa and Boston once and a while are nice too just for entertainment reasons. And of course against Montreal and Toronto.

Reactions: Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think he's played as well as can be expected. The pairing of him and Tkachuk seem to be the only consistent players to drive offence since the start of the season from what I've seen.

I think he's been better than expected: he doesn't make a lot mistakes and tracks the play very well.

He doesn't seem comfortable shooting the puck right now. I don't know if it is confidence or physical but he doesn't shoot nearly enough. Being around the puck as much as possible is fantastic but he's our topline C, if he doesn't produce the team will not have success.

All that being said, I'm very happy about White's play. He's been very solid.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
White is not sufficiently skilled to be a #1 center so he is generally over-matched there. He is more like a 2.5 seeking to be come a #2.
There must be an injury to Anisimov that is preventing him from playing better because he looks slow and uninvolved.
I recall seeing Ziatsev playing for the Leafs and being a physical player in fron to the net. I saw some of that in the last game and hope he keeps that up.
Boro hit the man with the puck, knocking him down. He did his job. Abramov was not covering for him and did not go goaltender side of the puck, thus losing his man. Then Sabourin loses his man as you said, not taking his stick out of the play. Two mistakes by the forwards, not by Boro on that goal IMO.

Agreed White is a #2 so he is playing in a spot over his head with very tough matchups on a team that doesnt give him alot of support. I think he has the skill to play on a first line as he is very gritty but as a complimentary piece likely as a winger not a center and puck distributer.

Anisimov is bad, has been for a while thats why they got him for Smith. He is very slow. If they could give him and Boedker away at this point for free I would. I would much rather see Chlapik up here I think he is ready for NHL reps.

I was at the game as I was given free tickets in the 100's I wont pay until Melnyk is gone but if I have a chance to take my dad to a game I am going to do it, he has only sat in the 100's a couple times so he was thrilled. From where I was it looked like a bad pinch by Boro so maybe you were right as we were in row J at the opposite side of the rink hard to tell from that angle.

You know the 4th line actually had a really good shift until the breakdown, Troy Mann said Abramov needs alot of work away from the puck so maybe he should be sent down if he is making easy mistakes like that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Any updates on Anisimov's injury? I hope it's not serious, but this could be the break Logan Brown needs right now.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
White is not sufficiently skilled to be a #1 center so he is generally over-matched there. He is more like a 2.5 seeking to be come a #3.
I recall seeing Zaitsev playing for the Leafs and being a physical player in front of the net. I saw some of that in the last game and hope he keeps that up.
I think that's just how he is now, he's lost his legs. Which sounds about right considering we traded Zack Smith for him.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Rather have Chlapik in a 4th line C role, he has shown more this year in my estimation.
That's a fair opinion. Maybe they let Brown stay in the minors a little longer. I have a bit of a feeling that when Brown does get called up he makes the jump to the NHL and doesn't get sent back down.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Abramov has been sent down to Belleville. Thought he played good. Although he only saw 3 minutes of ice time yesterday

We all just cannot comprehend or appreciate how much he developed in that 3 minutes yesterday. I think Smith is looking for the Mitch Marner impact out of these callups and the Auston Matthews performance out of the #1C.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sabourin was very noticable taking 2 bad penalties and blowing a coverage in those 3 minutes too. Probably will get a promotion next game.

2 bad penalties? Taking a d man wide and driving the net is a bad penalty?... Terrible take overall. He didnt blow coverage he actually back checked and Palat got his stick free. Abramov was the one out of position but that wouldnt fit the average fans narrative.

Reactions: aragorn

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
2 bad penalties? Taking a d man wide and driving the net is a bad penalty?... Terrible take overall. He didnt blow coverage he actually back checked and Palat got his stick free. Abramov was the one out of position but that wouldnt fit the average fans narrative.
Well Boro was the guy out of position but he's above any critique within this organization. Looks like Sabourin will be that as well because of his localness.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lol.

He was noticeable for all 3 minutes

He was, he made three bad plays in a row giving the puck up on one play that gave up a very good shot on net that could have easily gone in & why he was benched for the remainder of the game & why he was sent down today. He needs to learn how to play his position & not wander all over the ice & he has to learn how to back check & he has to stop throwing the puck away especially in his own end. He needs to learn how to play a 200' game, but he does have excellent offensive skills & scoring potential.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He was, he made three bad plays in a row giving the puck up on one play that gave up a very good shot on net that could have easily gone in & why he was benched for the remainder of the game & why he was sent down today. He needs to learn how to play his position & not wander all over the ice & he has to learn how to back check & he has to stop throwing the puck away especially in his own end. He needs to learn how to play a 200' game, but he does have excellent offensive skills & scoring potential.
So for that he gets no leash? Make a mistake and you're done is the message I guess. Expecting perfection out of kids is what will most likely neuter any kind of offensive risks they take.

Ironic that you mention the bolded yet Boro is always out of position but we never hear a peep from you.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So for that he gets no leash? Make a mistake and you're done is the message I guess. Expecting perfection out of kids is what will most likely neuter any kind of offensive risks they take.

Ironic that you mention the bolded yet Boro is always out of position but we never hear a peep from you.

From what I've seen he has great tools but he is getting overpowered. He wont be able to maximize his potential without getting stronger and right now he's getting blown off the puck too easily and doesn't belong

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
From what I've seen he has great tools but he is getting overpowered. He wont be able to maximize his potential without getting stronger and right now he's getting blown off the puck too easily and doesn't belong
I don't see how he can get stronger in Belleville than with Ottawa. Do they have a better gym in Belleville?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->