Post-Game Talk: Game 4 - Sully glares at the Flyers, Flyers fold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I thought tonight was one of Sheary's better games in recent memory. Even if he's not going to score, he was a complete pain in the ass on the forecheck with his speed. That's what the Pens need out of Sheary when he's not scoring.

Dumoulin continues to be an absolute rock back there. Like I said in last game's PGT, Dumoulin's absolutely shutting down any rushes down his wing. He's just so good at erasing guys and then coming away with the puck.

Murray was also rock solid. That breakaway save with about 40 seconds left in the first once again was the turning point. Instead of going into the break up 2-1, Murray kept the score 2-0. Timely saves and just so much of a calming influence back there.

And since I rag on him I gotta give kudos to Kuhnhackl. He was actually effective tonight both on the forecheck and trying to create plays.

Obviously the big boys also deserve huge props as well. Just a fantastic overall effort.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Here's an idea for the Comcast/Wells-Fargo/whoever pays the name license, fans in attendance- if you're going to boo, boo at Giroux, or even Voracek, why not Simmons? Booing Crosby isn't going well for you. Booing your invisible veterans may bring a spark. Bookmark this one, as it won't be needed until next fall, but count me as a Pens fan that thinks the Crosby booing embarrasses the "City of Brotherly Love"... And the bar ain't high.
tumblr_nbhrk2Ebz61suzl23o2_r1_250.gif
200.gif

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Sheahan was an absolute steal. Might not have the footspeed or the lockerroom presence, but he's got the ability to be every bit as good a 4th line center as Cullen was.

-Its time to give this guy his due. He has 2 points in this playoff series, and he is winning 60% of all faceoffs. Sheahan has been great

-Sidney Crosby- Star 1
-Matt Murray- Star 2
-Jake Guentzel is on fire again- Star 3
-Brian Dumoulin- Star 4
-Penalty Kill- Star 5

-Do everything that doesnt show on the points stat sheet- Sheahan

Reactions: ColePens

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'll also add that you can see the difference having a goalie like Murray versus a goalie like Elliott does for team confidence. When Elliott let in that Kessel shot to make it 3-0, you can just see the Flyers sort of react like, "Are you f***ing serious?".

Reactions: SirBrad

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The best thing about seeing Dumo step up in the playoffs again is knowing we already have him signed for years.

Keeps this up and will be turning himself into a household name. A legit 1st pair D.

Hes at that age too where you see alot of Dmen at their best. Which is why Im still hoping Maatta can get better instead of him being at his ceiling. Crazy hes only 23 still. Hes not gonna get much faster but the older he gets the more confidence he should have and we start seeing less mistakes.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Cole summed it up nicely in the first post.

For all the criticism Sheary's taken this year...well, earned this year...he was phenomenal tonight.

And Riley Sheahan actually is what Brandon Sutter was advertised as before he got here.

One more effort like that and you can take a little break, boys.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
There will be a time, in as few as 3 years but at most 5, where Nolan Patrick will be the best player on the ice when the Pens are playing the Flyers (hopefully that doesn’t include goalies).

Or is it Patrick Nolan??? Ha!

Sidney Crosby will still be playing, so no.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That was possibly Tom Kuhnhackl’s first good 5 v 5 game since 2016. And I was a big Kuhn guy before this year. Hopefully it’s a trend.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like waking up to this.

breaking news I am not hating on Kuhn as much as I did in the regular season, he actually is looking good except occasional stupidity......and Sheahan is having a great series...

I feel like we know what Kuhn is now. He's good as a guy to have around when someone's driving the 4th line and not so good when you're asking him to drive it. The regular season was the latter; happily, we're now back to the former.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Remember Kuhn was also good in 2016 playoffs

Simon looked lost at times. We should try someone else

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It'll be fine vs CBJ or Washington.

Boston or Tampa...idk.

Let's hope the Leafs can make it to round 3. We'd be fine vs them aswell.

Probably would win, but the Leafs are one of the few teams I think could actually skate with the Pens.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yes injuries to Flyers but man how can the GM who was a goalie go with those goalies this year. Flyers are not nearly as competitive and torchman is heading south big time. But Pens are heading to round 2 and now you just want good fortune as to health. I am actually less concerned with the Caps or Columbus this year. Reese and Ruhwedel have been solid and those are the kind of players you need to make contributions.

Didn't you hear, as we were reminded on several occasions, the Flyers have the goalie of all futures in their pipeline! Orange is the new black hole.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
We've all wondered if the Pens were just tired or pacing themselves, if they could flip that switch or the past two years have taken their toll. I think we're getting our answer. The forwards are hounding pucks again, players are blocking shots, creating turnovers and moving their feet. Sully knows you can't play this system over an entire season. The guy is a wizard. Look at how healthy the Pens have been after two long, hard seasons:
Crosby has played 82 games for the first time in his career.
Malkin has played the most games he has in 9 years.
Letang the most in 7 years, 2nd highest in his career
Kessel is Kessel
Oft-injured Maatta played 82 games

I especially look at Letang's case. Here is a guy who thrives when playing all out, putting himself in vulnerable positions and going off his instinct. The coaching staff told him to calm it down, and he struggled. That isn't his game, but what do you know, he's finally healthy for a full season again. Now that the playoffs have started, he's picked up his game. He needs that edge, to go for risky plays. He's not a guy who plays well when being conservative. I think the coaches have let him off his leash and are encouraging him to play his game now that it's the playoffs. Switch flipped.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Is there such a thing as a "bad" playoff series? I mean it's fun to watch the Pens light it up, but I'd like to see some good, competitive games. The Penguins can still play really well and win like 4-2. The Flyers don't seem to be too interested in the outcome of this series at all. I can't remember a playoff series actually boring me other this one.

At least the Caps or Jackets will get in our face and score some goals, and the conference finals will be wild if we get that far. This is just an overall snoozefest though, regardless of the aberration that was game 2. I've been joking this whole time about how they should let us play the Blues instead lol.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We've all wondered if the Pens were just tired or pacing themselves, if they could flip that switch or the past two years have taken their toll. I think we're getting our answer. The forwards are hounding pucks again, players are blocking shots, creating turnovers and moving their feet. Sully knows you can't play this system over an entire season. The guy is a wizard. Look at how healthy the Pens have been after two long, hard seasons:
Crosby has played 82 games for the first time in his career.
Malkin has played the most games he has in 9 years.
Letang the most in 7 years, 2nd highest in his career
Kessel is Kessel
Oft-injured Maatta played 82 games

I especially look at Letang's case. Here is a guy who thrives when playing all out, putting himself in vulnerable positions and going off his instinct. The coaching staff told him to calm it down, and he struggled. That isn't his game, but what do you know, he's finally healthy for a full season again. Now that the playoffs have started, he's picked up his game. He needs that edge, to go for risky plays. He's not a guy who plays well when being conservative. I think the coaches have let him off his leash and are encouraging him to play his game now that it's the playoffs. Switch flipped.

I tried to research some stats from things like blocked shots and what not and there really isn't a huge discrepancy in the past years. I noticed a considerable difference from our stars, though, where it felt like they avoided corners and shot blocks on purpose. They had to be pacing themselves on purpose.

I heard an interesting interview around January on Sirius NHL Network from Steve Kouleas where he made it sound like Sully was specifically telling them to ease in and wasn't hounding them early in the season. I have no evidence of a player saying that but the guy seems to know his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad