Post-Game Talk: Game 4 - Sully glares at the Flyers, Flyers fold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What's crazy though, is now when I read those thread (and same for Caps) they are very complimentary of Crosby and Malkin. "I hate those guys, but you gotta respect them, they get it done come playoff time." is a frequent comment on those boards these days. Pretty nuts.

Again, both fan bases are unsurprised by the results, and the games have not been close. The Pens have won 11 or the 12 periods played. Temperatures' rise in close series, series with controversial hits, and series where a fan base expects to win and are upset. This one had none of that.

Unrelated, or maybe entirely related, here are post game interviews.

And the POV from across the state.

Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I hear ya. Mine might even be more of a commentary on the East in general as opposed to these specific teams. There should not be a matchup this tame and lopsided in the playoffs. These games are almost akin to those boxing matches people pay $100 to watch on pay-per-view where the guy gets knocked out in 15 seconds. Maybe my hype train for the playoffs left the gate a little too early.

I mean, as a Pens fan I’ve loved this series. As a hockey fan, it is nice to see the best players in the league dominate.

Flyers earned their way to a playoffs spot. Their two best goalies are hurt, and so is Simmonds and now Couts.

They needed a healthy roster to be a competitive team.

Add onto that some of the baffling line up decisions like scratching Weal and putting Flippula on the 2nd line.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I feel like we know what Kuhn is now. He's good as a guy to have around when someone's driving the 4th line and not so good when you're asking him to drive it. The regular season was the latter; happily, we're now back to the former.

Idk, he was still useless with Sheahan in the regular season and just benefitted from the Flyers having terrible depth where Sheahan was better than most of their centres. I think he’s better when he’s trying to make things happen as opposed to watching Captain America for shield ideas.

- Murray's weak glove hand

He’s not going to accomplish anything until it’s fixed.

I think the leadership group of this team has seen too many disappointments under lesser coaches to tune out a coach like Sully who has done nothing but win. The team would have to go on quite a slide for that to happen.

I think Sullivan has to be aware of not ruining his relationship with the team and stars. He always talks up his big guys, he doesn’t throw people under the bus, we’ve seen him cancel practices for rest, he talks about not over coaching the stars and he’s careful to praise the rest as well.

It looking the like window could be closed under Johnston has to have helped make the big guns more accepting as well. I think that most likely gave everyone a real scare and then Sullivan came in.

Was excited to see the 4th line rewarded and to see Kuhn get recognition afterwards with the helmet. Good stuff.

That was a savvy move by Murray.

Reactions: ETA

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Beat these ass clowns on Friday night, and now I hope the Jackets/ Caps series goes seven games.
+Toronto Maple Leafs: paying 15% of Phil's salary

+Vegas Golden Nights: paying 40% of Brassard's salary

+ Edmonton Oilers: giving away Justin Schultz for a 3rd round pick.

+Dallas Stars: giving away Oleksiak for a 4th.

+Detroit Redwings: trading Sheahan for Scott Wilson.

Translation > TRUST in JR,

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I tried to research some stats from things like blocked shots and what not and there really isn't a huge discrepancy in the past years. I noticed a considerable difference from our stars, though, where it felt like they avoided corners and shot blocks on purpose. They had to be pacing themselves on purpose.

I heard an interesting interview around January on Sirius NHL Network from Steve Kouleas where he made it sound like Sully was specifically telling them to ease in and wasn't hounding them early in the season. I have no evidence of a player saying that but the guy seems to know his stuff.

Yes... if you remember the start of the 16-17 season last year the Pens came out playing the all out shotblocking system for a bit and all it got them was battered and broken...
this year you saw virtually none of the sliding body blocks... mostly stick in lane or the basic off the pads blocks with the exception of that stretch in jan/feb where they were questioning if they would make the playoffs...

This was the common thought behind the flipping switch backers... we thought the team was conserving energy and hits for the postseason cause last years style had them too beaten up going into the playoffs

They also were extra conservative on injuries (except phil and his streak, i bet)
Everyone was out a little longer than they needed rather than rushing guys back for some useless march game vs a non playoff team lol

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I would add that, assuming that the Pens advance, and it is a good assumption at this point but still, their next opponent will be either Washington or CBJ. The Pens should be favored but not by this much. And it should be a much more physical series, which means that getting through this one fairly easily will be very important. Healthy even more so.

This has been the least Pens/Flyers series or year of games in my memory. I absolutely love that they not only likely advance, but the Pens did not get nicked up in a series from constant hits and finished checks.

Again I say that as a good thing as far as Philly goes. The Pens have shown that walking away and keeping the eye on the prize is how you win in today's NHL. Philly simply does not have enough horses yet.

Watching other series, the antics and stupidity, clear intent to injure players, and seeing teams keep trying to hit the Pens into submission series after series the last two years and finally giving up when it is too late tells me most of the NHL has not yet learned the lesson.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yes... if you remember the start of the 16-17 season last year the Pens came out playing the all out shotblocking system for a bit and all it got them was battered and broken...
this year you saw virtually none of the sliding body blocks... mostly stick in lane or the basic off the pads blocks with the exception of that stretch in jan/feb where they were questioning if they would make the playoffs...

This was the common thought behind the flipping switch backers... we thought the team was conserving energy and hits for the postseason cause last years style had them too beaten up going into the playoffs

They also were extra conservative on injuries (except phil and his streak, i bet)
Everyone was out a little longer than they needed rather than rushing guys back for some useless march game vs a non playoff team lol

The Pens actually blocked MORE shots this year than in 2015-16. Despite not sacrificing their body as much Pens were 20th in the NHL in blocked shots regular season with 1184 shots blocked.

NHL.com - Stats

They were 22nd in 2015-2016 had around 100 less blocked shots, 1091 shots blocked.

NHL.com - Stats

In the playoffs this year the Pens are 9th of 16 teams, with 61 blocked shots. But it is a very important skill, the LA Kings lead the playoffs in blocked shots this playoffs with 83 and it has led the way to .... umm, ever mind.

NHL.com - Stats

I would run the playoff numbers for 2015-16 but of course those differ by games played so the Pens are second mostly because they played so many games.

Reactions: ColePens

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And for those wondering last year, 2016-17, and it makes your point about how Sully has evolved and learned, Pens were SIXTH in blocked shots regular season.

a whopping 1307 blocked shots.

NHL.com - Stats

And many broken bodies later Sully was much smarter this year.

It is those little things which should make us so greatful to have him as a coach. Going against Hakstol is almost unfair.

Reactions: madinsomniac

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Last nights game really came down to goaltending and 2 instances come to mind where the game could have turned:

1. Kessel goal with the 2 on 1. WTF is Elliot doing there? If he butterflies like 99% of your standard NHL goalies today that shot is stopped. It wasn't particularly hard or a difficult play to read. Instead of a 1 goal game it's 2-0 and the floodgates are about to open.... UNTIL

2. Konechy comes out of the box and has all freaking day. MM just stares him down and directs it to the corner like a routine practice shot. We need to just start calling him IceMan

Different result and again we have a possible 1 goal game or possible tied at 1 going into the 2nd period.

Those were 2 HUGE turning points that set the tone

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
G and Voracek with Filppula?

They can't be serious.
latest

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Saves and timely saves are critical turning points in momentum that can change on a dime. But in the end, pens have the finishers to pressure a team all game long. Pens are not a machine even though Sully would prefer that. They are a high end risk taking team that plays to win. The mindset is all about championships.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Last nights game really came down to goaltending and 2 instances come to mind where the game could have turned:

1. Kessel goal with the 2 on 1. WTF is Elliot doing there? If he butterflies like 99% of your standard NHL goalies today that shot is stopped. It wasn't particularly hard or a difficult play to read. Instead of a 1 goal game it's 2-0 and the floodgates are about to open.... UNTIL

2. Konechy comes out of the box and has all freaking day. MM just stares him down and directs it to the corner like a routine practice shot. We need to just start calling him IceMan

Different result and again we have a possible 1 goal game or possible tied at 1 going into the 2nd period.

Those were 2 HUGE turning points that set the tone

I’d say we’d win anyway because we are much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad