Post-Game Talk: Game 4 - Sully glares at the Flyers, Flyers fold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
Definitely! Saw them at NY Death Fest in Brooklyn last August. Talked to their long-time guitar player, awesome guy.

Shame what happened to their drummer. RIP.
Yea the loss of Bill hit me hard. I saw them a year before in Philly and talked to him for the first time in like 20 years, didn't know that would be the last.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I tried to research some stats from things like blocked shots and what not and there really isn't a huge discrepancy in the past years. I noticed a considerable difference from our stars, though, where it felt like they avoided corners and shot blocks on purpose. They had to be pacing themselves on purpose.

I heard an interesting interview around January on Sirius NHL Network from Steve Kouleas where he made it sound like Sully was specifically telling them to ease in and wasn't hounding them early in the season. I have no evidence of a player saying that but the guy seems to know his stuff.
Yeah Sully definitely seems to tone it back during the regular season. He gets it.

Even Kuhn, look at how he played last game. The speed he showed, desperation in clearing the zone, etc... He hadn't shown that all season. I imagine now he'll once again become a human shield on the PK. I don't imagine Sully is yelling at guys for not blocking shots in the regular season or for avoiding going balls to the wall. That's why he's a hard ass but the players still haven't toned him out.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah Sully definitely seems to tone it back during the regular season. He gets it.

Even Kuhn, look at how he played last game. The speed he showed, desperation in clearing the zone, etc... He hadn't shown that all season. I imagine now he'll once again become a human shield on the PK. I don't imagine Sully is yelling at guys for not blocking shots in the regular season or for avoiding going balls to the wall. That's why he's a hard ass but the players still haven't toned him out.

I think the leadership group of this team has seen too many disappointments under lesser coaches to tune out a coach like Sully who has done nothing but win. The team would have to go on quite a slide for that to happen.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Is there such a thing as a "bad" playoff series? I mean it's fun to watch the Pens light it up, but I'd like to see some good, competitive games. The Penguins can still play really well and win like 4-2. The Flyers don't seem to be too interested in the outcome of this series at all. I can't remember a playoff series actually boring me other this one.

At least the Caps or Jackets will get in our face and score some goals, and the conference finals will be wild if we get that far. This is just an overall snoozefest though, regardless of the aberration that was game 2. I've been joking this whole time about how they should let us play the Blues instead lol.

If the Pens win a Baker's Dozen more similarly boring games this playoffs I will be thrilled.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the leadership group of this team has seen too many disappointments under lesser coaches to tune out a coach like Sully who has done nothing but win. The team would have to go on quite a slide for that to happen.

I think I agree with this, but it helps a lot that Sully's clearly willing to listen to them, trust them, and not push them too far at the wrong moments. I think Sully's willingness to work with the senior players, as well as knowing when to push and when not, is a big part of why he's done nothing but win.

By that point yeah I guess so due to the end result. I like good hockey games too though. Like I said, the Penguins can look great and the other team still look like they belong on the ice with them.

You'll get your exciting games soon enough - too soon for most people's blood pressure.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
By that point yeah I guess so due to the end result. I like good hockey games too though. Like I said, the Penguins can look great and the other team still look like they belong on the ice with them.

They all will not be like this.

This series reminds me of the Rangers' series. The Rangers were depleted on defense so going in both sides knew the likely outcome.

Same here, I doubt that the results surprise anyone. Maybe degree of dominantion but outcome?

It is likely why you see little of the idiocy you see going on in other series, both on and off the ice. The Mods can likely count the number of infractions handed out on one hand and have fingers left over. The discussions have been very civil. Hell, informative, both ways. In a Pens/Flyers series? All an expectations game.

Reactions: UnderratedBrooks44

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And since I rag on him I gotta give kudos to Kuhnhackl. He was actually effective tonight both on the forecheck and trying to create plays.

If Kuhn played like last night every game, I’d actually be indifferent about him, instead of having my left eye twitch every time he’s on the ice.

He actually hit people AND stayed on his feet, handled the puck well, played pretty decent along the boards, etc.

I suspect agt better teams he will return to form (ie Baby Bambi) and I’ll loath him again, but for now I can’t complain.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
They all will not be like this.

This series reminds me of the Rangers' series. The Rangers were depleted on defense so going in both sides knew the likely outcome.

Same here, I doubt that the results surprise anyone. Maybe degree of dominantion but outcome?

It is likely why you see little of the idiocy you see going on in other series, both on and off the ice. The Mods can likely count the number of infractions handed out on one hand and have fingers left over. The discussions have been very civil. Hell, informative, both ways. In a Pens/Flyers series? All an expectations game.

I hear ya. Mine might even be more of a commentary on the East in general as opposed to these specific teams. There should not be a matchup this tame and lopsided in the playoffs. These games are almost akin to those boxing matches people pay $100 to watch on pay-per-view where the guy gets knocked out in 15 seconds. Maybe my hype train for the playoffs left the gate a little too early.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I have no doubt on that, it's just that it's still the playoffs. There have been lopsided rounds in the past, but none where one team didn't even look interested enough to get frustrated.

First two games, Flyers looked interested. Last two I didn't watch properly, but sounds like the air went out of them after going two goals down. Guess I'd agree that's not what most people expect from play-off hockey, but I'm enjoying it as an appetizer to the main event.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know Flyer fans won't like it but i do think they are smart to stay out of the nonsense and focus on skill/speed. It's the right thing to do.

Not entirely, they can not help themselves and always have to have at least one Gudas on the roster as some umbilical cord to their misremembered glory days.

Several like GKJ will not only like it but be thrilled. He has been preaching this for years now.

It only took Philly a half century to realize that the 70's is over and done long ago and that the game, as Sully has said, has evolved and that is not the way to win.

And with the recent concussion lawsuit settlement with the NFL, and the current lawsuit against the NHL, things will only be evolving away from that brand of hockey even more rapidly.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That was a clinic last night, plain and simple, start to finish.

My only reserve is that I don't think they are getting challenged all that much. I would hate for them to get a big head over a 5-6 game win that's been this relatively easy only to get a rude awakening by WAS or CBJ.

Was really happy to see Phil get one, he needed it. Was excited to see the 4th line rewarded and to see Kuhn get recognition afterwards with the helmet. Good stuff.

Reactions: ETA and Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Several like GKJ will not only like it but be thrilled. He has been preaching this for years now.

It only took Philly a half century to realize that the 70's is over and done long ago and that the game, as Sully has said, has evolved and that is not the way to win.

Interesting you specifically say that, because I heard a very good take on NHL Radio. I forget who it was but they said sometimes it's bad to win or make a run early because you will have a false sense of where you need to be and regress instead of continue to build.

Philly is going to face this in the offseason. Sure - you could fire the coach and go for big name FAs. That's not what you need. Continue to build. IF the right coach is out there, go for it. If not - be patient. If Philly gets a false sense of their window, they could shorten the overall build and miss out on a very successful run.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
+++ Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Dominant line out there last night.

+++ Sid/Jake/Simon
Really came together nicely in Hornqvist’s absence.

+++ Matt Murray, playoff hero.

Keep it up boys, and Sully, don’t you change a thing, this team with these lines is rolling.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Interesting you specifically say that, because I heard a very good take on NHL Radio. I forget who it was but they said sometimes it's bad to win or make a run early because you will have a false sense of where you need to be and regress instead of continue to build.

Philly is going to face this in the offseason. Sure - you could fire the coach and go for big name FAs. That's not what you need. Continue to build. IF the right coach is out there, go for it. If not - be patient. If Philly gets a false sense of their window, they could shorten the overall build and miss out on a very successful run.

Given the plan they seem to be following the past couple of years it seems unlikely. They - as you point out unfortunately - seem to realize that the shortcuts are not working.

If I were a fan of theirs my fear would be that they never really hit bottom. The Pens went through a half decade of completely unwatchable hockey and ended up with four top five picks including two of the best players of their generation.

You ain't going to find many of those in picks 8 to 16.

Reactions: ColePens

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
My Thursday morning has been awesome. Reading 15 pages of salty Flyer fans on their forum. And I thought we were bad with losses.

What's crazy though, is now when I read those thread (and same for Caps) they are very complimentary of Crosby and Malkin. "I hate those guys, but you gotta respect them, they get it done come playoff time." is a frequent comment on those boards these days. Pretty nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad