GDT: Game 4: CBJ vs. Boston - 10/12/13 - 2PM ET - FSOHD

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Frustrating start to the season. They've only played one complete game thus far, against Buffalo. Should probably be 1-3 at this point.

Also: that was an awful offsides call. :shakehead

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Bob with a crappy goal given up and that took the pressure off of Boston. Probably wouldn't have made a difference, but that was the most idiotic off sides I've probably ever seen.

The work ethic comment above is off. They are working, so I don't know what (s)he is looking at.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
Those things happen. It wasn't why we lost. We didn't deserve the game and we didn't get the game.

That's an example of easy cliche. How can you possibly know that isn't why we lost?

To paraphrase Brett Hull..."This stuff about deserving wins and losses based on work ethic is coach-talk. Meaningless. It isn't about deserve. It's based on the idea that you get what you deserve which is laughable. Teams either win or lose, people either win or lose. Deserve generally has nothing to do with it."

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I thought that was a good hard fought game. Boston had a little bit more possession, but the chances were close each way. A couple bounces and the Jackets would have been the winner. Jackets played hard.

Pretty much this. And I actually thought the D cut down on their gaffes today, with the exception of that Johnson giveaway at the end.

Anyways, the biggest surprise this season has been Savard, especially in his own zone. He's turning into what Prout was last year. I'd love to see him get more ice time.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That's an example of easy cliche. How can you possibly know that isn't why we lost?

To paraphrase Brett Hull..."This stuff about deserving wins and losses based on work ethic is coach-talk. Meaningless. It isn't about deserve. It's based on the idea that you get what you deserve which is laughable. Teams either win or lose, people either win or lose. Deserve generally has nothing to do with it."

Because we only scored one goal, if that isn't called offsides and Gaborik breaks in, whose to say his shot/pass even gets through? We can play the what if game all day. Bottom line, they called the offsides, they called the penalty. We didn't do enough to win and just wanted to sit on a one goal lead the whole game. That won't work against good teams. This team had alot of bark going into the season, but so far, no bite.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
A few gaffes, like Bob not stopping the first goal, but in general no major long lasting breakdowns in play. We were hard to play against.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Good: RJ, Savard, MacKenzie

Bad: Wisniewski, Prout

Everyone else fell into the meh category to me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Because we only scored one goal, if that isn't called offsides and Gaborik breaks in, whose to say his shot/pass even gets through? We can play the what if game all day. Bottom line, they called the offsides, they called the penalty. We didn't do enough to win and just wanted to sit on a one goal lead the whole game. That won't work against good teams. This team had alot of bark going into the season, but so far, no bite.

If you had asked me before the season what the standard Jackets effort (March and April Jackets) would look like against a stacked hardworking team like the Bruins, I would have imagine this game. This was our best effort of the season.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
This game reminds me of last year's team at the beginning. We fought hard, but we're still not getting the scoring chances.

Once we get our chemistry going we're gonna get some chances and we're gonna string some wins together. We just got to stay healthy.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If you had asked me before the season what the standard Jackets effort (March and April Jackets) would look like against a stacked hardworking team like the Bruins, I would have imagine this game. This was our best effort of the season.

I don't care about effort anymore. I expect effort now. I want results.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This game reminds me of last year's team at the beginning. We fought hard, but we're still not getting the scoring chances.

Once we get our chemistry going we're gonna get some chances and we're gonna string some wins together. We just got to stay healthy.
Guys should have chemistry, it's only been 2 or 3 years for most guys together.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Guys should have chemistry, it's only been 2 or 3 years for most guys together.

Hmm, I don't necessarily mean chemistry I guess... I mean getting into the "groove" of the season. I think we're getting there, just not quite yet.

Ugh, maybe someone can better communicate what I mean. :laugh:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

I don't care about effort anymore. I expect effort now. I want results.

Weren't you just criticizing people for overreacting to one game just a few GDTs ago?

That wasn't the greatest game in the world but it wasn't like the Jackets hanging on for dear life out there. Thought they were the better team for >50% of the game and if Bob stops that 30 footer/Prout shows more urgency on the second goal, most people would be singing a different tune right now.

I'm actually pleased with the start of the season so far. A hell of a lot better than last year's start. :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Weren't you just criticizing people for overreacting to one game just a few GDTs ago?

I don't see how I am overreacting. I watched the game, and just said what I saw. People were saying things like 'we need Prospal' or 'We still suck' like some people were saying a few GDT's ago which was bologna.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
MacKenzie looked like he could slot in on the Bruins' vaunted 4th line and be just fine.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I'm actually pleased with the start of the season so far. A hell of a lot better than last year's start. :laugh:

Exactly, we're not looking absolutely pathetic out there!
Also, this schedule gives us plenty of time to work on what we need to, we'll be ready for when the real hard grind of the season starts. Let's just stay at least .500 until then.

Edit: I'm not expecting a dominant season, but barring a lot of injuries, I still expect us to be a good playoff bubble team that has a good chance to make it in.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Back from the game. My thoughts after reading a few comments above.

People on this board don't seem to want to give the Bruins much credit. They have one nasty, stingy defense. I mean they have given up 5 goals in 4 games. We got to see why they punked the Pens last year in the play-offs.

I thought the Jackets put forth a solid effort. My only complaints are the Masonesque first Boston goal, and the seeming confusion that led to the second B's goal.

Rask had an easy day. I don't think he was really tested much at all. That Boston D would make any goalie look great.

Nuff said.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Agreed. A coach of mine back in high school once said "the other team is allowed to play too." Rask was one key save better than Bob on this night. Nobody in blue sucked today.

P.S. How WEIRD was it to walk out of the Arena and have it be DAYLIGHT?!?

Last edited:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
My thought so far is this is a team that doesn't quit. I thought Boston played well, the D of that team is very cohesive, well synchronized. Our boys fought, pressed, never let up. Think about nearly any other CBJ team, and they'd never have come CLOSE to the Bruins today. Liked Gabby, Mackenzie (should wear an A, IMO), Umberger, Cam, Tyuts, Jack, ... Nearly everyone.

Seriously, did y'all see the same game as I did?

On another note, the Boston fans near us in Club were well mannered until hey were up a goal, then suddenly became mouthy ashats. Weird...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00