GDT: Game 39: Red Wings at kings 10:30 pm et 1/4/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
How can anyone hate skills in hockey is beyond me...

Hockey is a team game first and foremost. The core of the game is you NEED a whole team firing to win the cup. Showing some flashy shootout skills means nothing in the playoffs or winning the cup, other than getting an extra point in the season to try and get in the playoffs where shootout skills no longer matter.

Pretty simple really. It should have no place in hockey.

Reactions: eojsmada

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hockey is a team game first and foremost. The core of the game is you NEED a whole team firing to win the cup. Showing some flashy shootout skills means nothing in the playoffs or winning the cup, other than getting an extra point in the season to try and get in the playoffs where shootout skills no longer matter.

Agreed. Hating the skills competition does not equal hating skill in hockey.

Seems obvious but apparently needed to be stated.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

:laugh: - Might make the curmudgeons maddd.

Good to see them having fun. Most days it certainly doesn't look that way.

There was a great vibe in the arena last night as the game progressed and became competitive. Staples/Crypto always has a good sized DRW fan contingent. Even though it looked like maybe a little bit fewer RW fans this year we were loud, and every time we'd get the LGRW chant going it would get the Kings fans riled up. It was really buzzing.

(It sounds like they are possibly mocking the Kings goal song in that clip?)

Last edited:
Reactions: raymond23

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com

Quite the opposite. Insane skills with the skates and the stick is what separates hockey from all other "team sports." It's pretty simple, really: it's one of the most exciting plays in hockey, when the game is on the line, and it's you against the goalie. I love everything about it.

Reactions: Perfect Human

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So I gotta ask - how old are you guys?

For those who dislike the 3 on 3 OT and the subsequent shoot out must not have been around the 90s ‘Dead Puck Era’…

Love that enthusiasm!
I liked 3 on 3 at first. Just seems kinda played out now and a silly way to decide the winner of a game, IMO.

Also this:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Agreed. Hating the skills competition does not equal hating skill in hockey.

Seems obvious but apparently needed to be stated.
I don't hate the shootout nearly as much as I hate that games aren't equal to the standings.
I'd have an easier time swallowing a shootout if it didn't inject so many artificial points into the system. Regulation wins should be 3 points.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
For those who dislike the 3 on 3 OT and the subsequent shoot out must not have been around the 90s ‘Dead Puck Era’…
Yes, perspective. I was fine with ties though.

And I'm OK enough on most days with 3 on 3/shootout. The whole game of chicken thing that happens during 3 on 3 is still annoying though.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Like many, didn't stay up to watch the game, so recorded one of the replays of it on BSD. Who's the f****n moron that edits these games for time? So we see 10 minutes of pregame chatter, the intermission reports, there's an interview with Larkin but they cut off the first 10 minutes of the third period where the go ahead goal was scored?!?! WTF? They do this on Tiger games too. It's ridiculous.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't hate the shootout nearly as much as I hate that games aren't equal to the standings.
I'd have an easier time swallowing a shootout if it didn't inject so many artificial points into the system. Regulation wins should be 3 points.
I don't like that because it shouldn't matter how long it takes you to win. In the playoffs a win is just as good if it takes you 60 minutes or 120. And I think in the regular season a team that wins in the third period should be rewarded equally to a team that wins in OT. A win is a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00