GDT: Game 39: Red Wings at kings 10:30 pm et 1/4/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Like many, didn't stay up to watch the game, so recorded one of the replays of it on BSD. Who's the f****n moron that edits these games for time? So we see 10 minutes of pregame chatter, the intermission reports, there's an interview with Larkin but they cut off the first 10 minutes of the third period where the go ahead goal was scored?!?! WTF? They do this on Tiger games too. It's ridiculous.
I noticed this a couple times last season too. Prior to that, the edits were always where they should be and they never skipped over goals. There must be a different person doing it now and I agree, he’s a moron.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I noticed this a couple times last season too. Prior to that, the edits were always where they should be and they never skipped over goals. There must be a different person doing it now and I agree, he’s a moron.

Those kinds of mistakes make me wonder if they are trying to get AI to do it. Surely a human wouldn't like... skip goals?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So I gotta ask - how old are you guys?

For those who dislike the 3 on 3 OT and the subsequent shoot out must not have been around the 90s ‘Dead Puck Era’…

Love that enthusiasm!
Old enough to have watched the Wings when #5 was Darren Veitch.

There were ties then and I was ok with them. The point of the regular season was to get to the playoffs.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Those kinds of mistakes make me wonder if they are trying to get AI to do it. Surely a human wouldn't like... skip goals?

Wouldn't it be easier to program a computer to not skip goals than programming a person?

Old enough to have watched the Wings when #5 was Darren Veitch.

There were ties then and I was ok with them. The point of the regular season was to get to the playoffs.

Ties were fine. I'm OK with the SO only because the Wings have enough talent to win them right now, lol. Otherwise, I hate them too. At this point, the Wings should just play for the SO when they go into overtime.

DBC disappointed in OT last night, you figure with 2 breakaway chances, he'd nail one instead of Helming us.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wouldn't it be easier to program a computer to not skip goals than programming a person?

That’s an interesting question. Programming a computer to not skip goals is not necessarily easier than programming a person, because both tasks involve different challenges and trade-offs.

Programming a computer requires a clear and precise specification of the goals, the steps to achieve them, and the possible exceptions or errors that might occur. Programming a person requires a more flexible and adaptive approach, taking into account the person’s motivation, preferences, emotions, and feedback.

Some people might argue that programming a computer is easier because it is more deterministic and predictable, while programming a person is harder because it is more complex and dynamic. However, others might contend that programming a computer is harder because it is more rigid and constrained, while programming a person is easier because it is more creative and interactive.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Quite the opposite. Insane skills with the skates and the stick is what separates hockey from all other "team sports." It's pretty simple, really: it's one of the most exciting plays in hockey, when the game is on the line, and it's you against the goalie. I love everything about it.

That’s awesome that you’re into the shootout and not at all trying to dissuade you from getting excited about it.

For me, and quite possibly others, the ability of 3-4 players on your team to make a move during a 1v1 with the goalie, and the ability of your goalie to stop 3-4 1v1s is not what should decide a game because there are literally 20 other players who can decide the outcome.

Playoff hockey doesn’t involve the shootout. Why do you think that is?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
That’s awesome that you’re into the shootout and not at all trying to dissuade you from getting excited about it.

For me, and quite possibly others, the ability of 3-4 players on your team to make a move during a 1v1 with the goalie, and the ability of your goalie to stop 3-4 1v1s is not what should decide a game because there are literally 20 other players who can decide the outcome.

International playoff hockey involves the shootout. Why do you think that is?

Reactions: Fynn

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That’s an interesting question. Programming a computer to not skip goals is not necessarily easier than programming a person, because both tasks involve different challenges and trade-offs.

Programming a computer requires a clear and precise specification of the goals, the steps to achieve them, and the possible exceptions or errors that might occur. Programming a person requires a more flexible and adaptive approach, taking into account the person’s motivation, preferences, emotions, and feedback.

Some people might argue that programming a computer is easier because it is more deterministic and predictable, while programming a person is harder because it is more complex and dynamic. However, others might contend that programming a computer is harder because it is more rigid and constrained, while programming a person is easier because it is more creative and interactive.
You make perfectly valid points. But purely from a standpoint of efficiency, wouldn't it be fairly straightforward to transfer a fixed A/B interval of video before/after a given trigger (red light on, scoreboard change, etc)? Obviously not perfect, but the whole point of AI is ease of use to get very close, and something like 30 seconds before and 10 seconds after a goal would make for at least a good starting point.

Or a starting point to further train the AI, I suppose.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017

The talent of the players absolutely decides every game. Not a soccer fan at all, but that last World Cup with the shootout? That was epic. Forsberg's shootout goal in the Olympics? Sports change and evolve with time.
Let's get one thing clear.

It's a more thorough way to determine the winner. OT and SO are a less thorough but more time-efficient and exciting way to determine the winner in a less important instance of regular season game.
What's the saying, no matter what the question, the answer is always money? Fans will stay tuned in for a playoff game that goes to OT, but for a Tuesday night game in Buffalo in January? Not likely. Same reason why regular season baseball games were changed. Shorter, more exciting, more ratings, more revenue. It wouldn't surprise me if down the road, the playoff OTs were changed in the NHL.

Reactions: Sentinel

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's a more thorough way to determine the winner. OT and SO are a less thorough but more time-efficient and exciting way to determine the winner in a less important instance of regular season game.
Is it that you've never stayed up to watch NHL Playoff OT hockey? There is nothing in sports more riveting than NHL Playoff OT hockey...

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I wouldn't mind it to go back to what it was before. 2 points for a win, and if it is not decided after 5on5 or 4on4 OT, you get a tie.

If they keep the current format, they need have 3 points up for grabs, 3 for RW, and 2 for OTW, and 1 for OTL.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The talent of the players absolutely decides every game. Not a soccer fan at all, but that last World Cup with the shootout? That was epic. Forsberg's shootout goal in the Olympics? Sports change and evolve with time.

What's the saying, no matter what the question, the answer is always money? Fans will stay tuned in for a playoff game that goes to OT, but for a Tuesday night game in Buffalo in January? Not likely. Same reason why regular season baseball games were changed. Shorter, more exciting, more ratings, more revenue. It wouldn't surprise me if down the road, the playoff OTs were changed in the NHL.

The day playoff OTs are changed is absolutely the day I stop watching the NHL.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Is it that you've never stayed up to watch NHL Playoff OT hockey? There is nothing in sports more riveting than NHL Playoff OT hockey...

I think you missed the last part of the sentance...

"less important instance of regular season game."

I don't think anyone (at least many) would want 3v3 or shootouts in playoffs.

However, for a regular season game? When stakes aren't as high, people need to go to work the Day after etc.

In the regular season you also have to consider getting rest for upcoming games, be able to travel etc.

Imagine playing a back to back with travel and the first games goes to 6 periods...

As long as you want a team to win (i.e. no ties) you need a gimmicky way to end regular season games. Whether that is 3v3, shootouts or some other form is ofcourse debatable, but in the end it's going to feel the same way anyway.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think you missed the last part of the sentance...

"less important instance of regular season game."

I don't think anyone (at least many) would want 3v3 or shootouts in playoffs.

However, for a regular season game? When stakes aren't as high, people need to go to work the Day after etc.

In the regular season you also have to consider getting rest for upcoming games, be able to travel etc.

Imagine playing a back to back with travel and the first games goes to 6 periods...

As long as you want a team to win (i.e. no ties) you need a gimmicky way to end regular season games. Whether that is 3v3, shootouts or some other form is ofcourse debatable, but in the end it's going to feel the same way anyway.

yeah i'd love it if endless 5 on 5 overtime was feasible in the regular season but unfortunately it just isn't so it's about doing the best you can within those constraints

personally as someone who doesn't really see a difference between 3 on 3 and shootouts I miss when the overtime portion was the far less gimmicky 4 on 4, they've clearly been lowering it in an effort to have less of the gimmicky shootouts deciding things but I think 4 on 4 was the sweetspot and with 3 on 3 they went too far and just made both options super gimmicky

Reactions: Macoun

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
The day playoff OTs are changed is absolutely the day I stop watching the NHL.
Unfortunately, they're not trying to appease us old timers.

I remember going an entire night without sleep watching the Wings beat the Blackhawks in OT. Had to be in at 3 am and no point in an hour or two of sleep. The Larionov goal was amazing against Carolina, but it was on a Saturday.

But I also had to miss the Slava Kozlov 3OT goal because we were at the game with our two little ones at the time. It was a Sunday afternoon game, but it was going into the evening, and just no way we could stay any longer.

But yeah, when your team wins, and you got nothing else going on, they're great! It's been so long since the Wings have been in the playoffs, I've kind of forgotten about it. I get rebuilds take time, but Yzerman has to get this team to the playoffs this year. Losing a whole generation of fans who have no idea what playoff hockey is like isn't going to build the fanbase.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You make perfectly valid points. But purely from a standpoint of efficiency, wouldn't it be fairly straightforward to transfer a fixed A/B interval of video before/after a given trigger (red light on, scoreboard change, etc)? Obviously not perfect, but the whole point of AI is ease of use to get very close, and something like 30 seconds before and 10 seconds after a goal would make for at least a good starting point.

Or a starting point to further train the AI, I suppose.

I don't know, man. I had ChatGPT write that response.

Reactions: jkutswings

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

You had ChatGPT write this didn't you?

Edit:
I don't know, man. I had ChatGPT write that response.

I knew it! Probably should catch up on the thread before I hit reply. Wheres the fun in that though?

• Haha
Reactions: Bench

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad