Post-Game Talk: GAME 39 - A hard earned point - Avs 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm not disputing your question. Just that for a fourth line add like you're advocating for, Topo would be a bad fit, plus he's been outperformed quite a bit by McLaughlin/Kuntar/Lysell/Farianacci/etc.

I get it….I guess I don’t see the logic in putting Lysell in a grinding, 4th line role.

Farinacci or Kuntar, I‘d be fine with as well.

Looking at the stats though, McLaughlin seems as if he’s struggling more than Topo.

He‘s got 4-2-6 and is a minus 10

As opposed to Toporowski’s 6-9-15 and plus 1 in 2 less games.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I get it….I guess I don’t see the logic in putting Lysell in a grinding, 4th line role.

Farinacci or Kuntar, I‘d be fine with as well.

Looking at the stats though, McLaughlin seems as if he’s struggling more than Topo.

He‘s got 4-2-6 and is a minus 10

As opposed to Toporowski’s 6-9-15 and plus 1 in 2 less games
Lysell would make more sense than Topo. McLaughlin fits much more into a prototypical fourth line role. I think Topo has one goal in his last 20 games?

They did this by the way - they just chose Boqvist.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Fun game overall. The first period was really choppy with a lot of stoppages, but after that there was some good end to end stuff...

1) Marchy and Swayman were excellent. Could have been a blow-out without them.
2) Pasta had an awful night.
3) Losing Carlo really hurt. He's been our most consistent Dman this year.
4) The remaining 5 Dmen all had their challenges tonight at various points in the game, but I'll chalk it up to who they were playing against.
5) Devon Toews was fantastic for Colorado. He gets overshadowed by Makar, but damn, he was good last night.
6) I like how we fought back from behind (twice), to salvage a point on the road against a good team. Grinding out road points when you don't have your best game, is a sign of a pretty good team.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Unfortunately it never will. The team does not have the personality for it. They play structured hockey and try to keep everything to the outside. That’s why you see extended offensive zone pressure from other teams in their zone. They allow them to keep playing to the outside. It’s just the teams identity. That’s also why they are really good in regular season. They play a very tight structured game which is why Monty sits the rooks if they pull out of the structure. (Probably one of the reasons they never call up Lysell too). Playoffs is another story, when you need that switch to play a more aggressive checking game so far we see the Bruins can’t manage that switch. They want to play regular season hockey in the playoffs.
It never will be fixed? They just outhit Tampa the other day 28-19, but sure they can't switch. It's always going to depend on how each game is going and who the opponent is.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Boy did Pasta have a rough night. All the way through to that shootout attempt.

That said, Pasta can have a rough night anytime he wants if he's going to continue to play like he is overall. Kids game is amazing. Shot has always been there, but his playmaking and physical game is taking a big step forward in my book.
McAvoy did not have a good game either ( overplayed?) and Wotherspoon struggled many times with making a good pass / decision to get the puck out of our zone.
Marchy came out to play a great game and I thought the third line played well too.
Our fourth line needs revamping. Beecher was very physical and skated well, Boqvist and Steen were invisible. At this point, we have nothing to lose by calling up someone else from Providence. Lysell or Richard who has been on a tear lately should be given a chance.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Boy did Pasta have a rough night. All the way through to that shootout attempt.

That said, Pasta can have a rough night anytime he wants if he's going to continue to play like he is overall. Kids game is amazing. Shot has always been there, but his playmaking and physical game is taking a big step forward in my book.
Well said. He did get an assist last night. I agree it wasn't his best game but there are others who hardly EVER contribute (one in his contract year) .

Last edited by a moderator:

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
It never will be fixed? They just outhit Tampa the other day 28-19, but sure they can't switch. It's always going to depend on how each game is going and who the opponent is.
So what, one game and it’s not hitting, it’s dealing with an aggressive forecheck and applying one in the playoffs. It’s hard to maintain that style during the regular season, but it’s what usually works in the playoffs. Did you not watch Florida’s aggressiveness wilt the Bruins that should have wiped the floor with them because of their regular season success? It took a team just as big if not bigger than them and aggressive to finally knock them out in the finals.

Are we going to keep pretending every year this is not an issue when it clearly is. They are not a tough aggressive team. They are a well structured team that hasn’t had as much success lately in the playoffs with this style but it’s been excellent in the regular season. I equate it to the Sedin twins era with the Canucks. They were a great regular season team, the Bruins exposed them in the playoffs and even though they had a couple of good regular seasons it was apparent it wasn’t going to translate well in the playoffs.

I don’t necessarily fault them. It’s not something they can fix because what they need is coveted by every team and that’s tough strong players that are also talented and can play in a top 6 role. They have to draft that, or pay high for it in either trades or free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad