Post-Game Talk: GAME 39 - A hard earned point - Avs 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Crazy that he wasn’t in the shootout,he was definitely feeling it tonight on the
I might be giving him too much credit. But he’s done that shot from behind his back essentially several times now this season.

If he’s thinking the goalie has seen it before, which he probably has, uncorking a shot quickly like he did had a chance of catching him off balance.

Didn’t work obviously. But it’s not a terrible idea.

Or I made all of that up. Either or.
But he didn’t really uncork it quickly it was more like a soft pass to the goalie.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Admittedly I don‘t see Providence much, so this is more of a question than a suggestion, but why not give Toporowski a game or two, instead of a Boqvist?

Obviously, he’s not tearing up the AHL, but he seems like an energy guy who has a little bit of agitator to his game, based on the little I’ve seen of him in preseason.

I mean if the fourth line is going to play 6 minutes per game, it seems as if it can’t hurt to try some other players.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Admittedly I don‘t see Providence much, so this is more of a question than a suggestion, but why not give Toporowski a game or two, instead of a Boqvist?

Obviously, he’s not tearing up the AHL, but he seems like an energy guy who has a little bit of agitator to his game, based on the little I’ve seen of him in preseason.

I mean if the fourth line is going to play 6 minutes per game, it seems as if it can’t hurt to try some other players.
There are about 7 or 8 guys ahead of Topo in the pecking order now. He's had a rough year so far.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Pastrnak was ass

Swayman and Marchand were excellent

Penalties are still a problem. They have no idea how to play 3 on 3, or apparently 4 on 3. Colorado gifted them two breakaways, Boston gifted one back…but only Colorado cashed in. It also sucks to lose a D zone draw clean and have it immediately end up in your net. Just little details like that add up

Pastrnak was ass. It’s worth repeating

Should note that D zone faceoff occurred because the Bruins couldn't get the puck out of the zone despite having several chances to do so.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd be for that just to see but if he did that randomly and didn't put his best goal scorers out there he'd get attacked hard, right?

Monty put out his 3 best shootout players. As he should.

When the Bruins lose in a shootout the coach's choices are always questioned. But this was the first time I recall anyone (not you) suggesting they use rookies. That really makes no sense.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Pasta had a rough night.

I'm glad we got a point out of that game, but they wasted a 4 on 3 PP
Boy did Pasta have a rough night. All the way through to that shootout attempt.

That said, Pasta can have a rough night anytime he wants if he's going to continue to play like he is overall. Kids game is amazing. Shot has always been there, but his playmaking and physical game is taking a big step forward in my book.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

That said, Pasta can have a rough night anytime he wants if he's going to continue to play like he is overall. Kids game is amazing. Shot has always been there, but his playmaking and physical game is taking a big step forward in my book.
His stick exploding on him in OT (or 3rd? I can't remember) was pretty much the definition of the game.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

For real, everyone has bad days at work, Pasta is still the best and most important player we have so let's relax and move to the next one.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
There are about 7 or 8 guys ahead of Topo in the pecking order now. He's had a rough year so far.
Fair enough, but based on what exactly?

Obviously he’s behind several guys based on points, but to me, seeing how Merkulov was used I don’t think Monty is looking for a call up to produce points first and foremost.

Otherwise, he wouldn’t have used him the way he did.

Toporowski is 4th on the team in shots, 5th in PIM, which shows me he‘s engaged.

Again, I’m not married to this guy, but it seems that Monty isn’t sold on a lot of the guys who have played on line 4, so why not give someone new a chance?

Reactions: SonnyBoy

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Surprised so little mention of Shatty/Zacha fiasco.

Sway steals another point.

Freedy gets blanked: no points, no shots, no hits, no blocks.

Loved Beecher's goal.

Wotherspoon has really been a key fill-in. 26 year-old free agent who only had 12 NHL games previously.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Obviously he’s behind several guys based on points, but to me, seeing how Merkulov was used I don’t think Monty is looking for a call up to produce points first and foremost.

Toporowski is 4th on the team in shots, 5th in PIM, which shows me he‘s engaged.

Again, I’m not married to this guy, but it seems that Monty isn’t sold on a lot of the guys who have played on line 4, so why not give someone new a chance?
I'm not disputing your question. Just that for a fourth line add like you're advocating for, Topo would be a bad fit, plus he's been outperformed quite a bit by McLaughlin/Kuntar/Lysell/Farianacci/etc.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Bruins had 9 hits

Avs had 20.

Please can we fix that. Thats unacceptable.
Unfortunately it never will. The team does not have the personality for it. They play structured hockey and try to keep everything to the outside. That’s why you see extended offensive zone pressure from other teams in their zone. They allow them to keep playing to the outside. It’s just the teams identity. That’s also why they are really good in regular season. They play a very tight structured game which is why Monty sits the rooks if they pull out of the structure. (Probably one of the reasons they never call up Lysell too). Playoffs is another story, when you need that switch to play a more aggressive checking game so far we see the Bruins can’t manage that switch. They want to play regular season hockey in the playoffs.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

That's not a positive.

Coach definitely doesn't want that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad