Post-Game Talk: GAME 38 - Ugh - New Jersey 5 BRUINS 2 F - We're on to Buff-a-lo

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I watched the replay :help:

The coaches banked 2 points as did the players. A total fail.

The week ahead is not easy

@Buffalo - Sabres remember their home opener
@Chicago (South Bend) - Blackhawks trying to salvage something from this season
Calgary - Surprise team in the West
Buffalo - last time we play them this year.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Well they better get that powerplay back up and running efficiently because this team ain't anything special 5 on 5.

Frustrating....Are we going to call this a development year? Too many guys not ready for prime time.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Wow 1st line scored half the goals.......again...........wonder if any point they will get scoring help from the team or a trade.

I said it earlier.They are caught in between and Sweeney is on the hot seat.They have 2 huge holes up front and he needs to fix them.If he does not then he has a pile of vets losing another year and still the same issues.He has to either trade and fix them holes or start unloading them vets for some nice returns and build for future.Standing pat is a deer in the headlights decision.

Reactions: Blowfish

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Defencemen making brain farts is taking it's toll the last few games . I'm sure the problem will work itself out as returning defenders slowly work their way back to a hundred percent....I flipping hope anyways .

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I like some of these young forwards and think a couple will become good NHL'ers...but they've got to learn that there is more to hockey thanskating fast with the puck and going behind the net and flipping the puck in front. Not saying that is a bad play if it's available....but if you're a shooter, then you've got to find the open areas of the ice....a bit of playmaking wouldn't hurt either. They look like carbon copies out there. Some progress will come with time but I wonder about the hockey sense of a few guys. Example....I had a pretty good idea Pastrnak was going to be an elite player when he scored the goal in Philadelphia years ago on the feed from Krejci...that hockey sense of knowing where your teammate is and when the puck will arrive and how to get to the open area of the ice is special. I don't expect the other guys to be like Pastrnak...but getting a few clean shots off that test goalies shouldn't be too much to ask.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I was actually kinda hoping there would be one with Lou is talking about. But from everything I've seen, there's no elbow. His shoulder caught him square. If the elbow comes up after contact, but isn't what he hits him with, sorry, that's not an elbow.

The one angle I saw shows him lifting armor where shoulder gets head and elbow gets teeth. Regardless bush league move by a guy who has been cheapshotted numerous times. If he was feeling frisky maybe he should have challenged Wood who was a wrecking ball all night

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I like some of these young forwards and think a couple will become good NHL'ers...but they've got to learn that there is more to hockey thanskating fast with the puck and going behind the net and flipping the puck in front. Not saying that is a bad play if it's available....but if you're a shooter, then you've got to find the open areas of the ice....a bit of playmaking wouldn't hurt either. They look like carbon copies out there. Some progress will come with time but I wonder about the hockey sense of a few guys. Example....I had a pretty good idea Pastrnak was going to be an elite player when he scored the goal in Philadelphia years ago on the feed from Krejci...that hockey sense of knowing where your teammate is and when the puck will arrive and how to get to the open area of the ice is special. I don't expect the other guys to be like Pastrnak...but getting a few clean shots off that test goalies shouldn't be too much to ask.

This team was ECF finals or bust for me, anything less is not good enough

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well they better get that powerplay back up and running efficiently because this team ain't anything special 5 on 5.

Frustrating....Are we going to call this a development year? Too many guys not ready for prime time.

They have no time for a development year with the ages of Chara, Bergeron and Krejci.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
There’s 5 forwards with more than 10 points halfway through this season and people still think the line combos are the problem. Haven’t won a game this season when they are down going into the third but they can handle anyone but maybe Tampa in the playoffs.

Yeah, I’m not seeing it. They dealt with serious injuries last season and kept making it work. This team looks like a serious step back from last year’s so far and thats unacceptable given the age of our core. If Halak played anything like a backup to start the season this team would be among the worst in the conference right now. If he comes down to earth they’re in trouble. It’s obvious how much Cassidy trusts Rask these days.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Is it me or do I get the feeling the next week will be the decider for the season? If they lose both Buffalo games and look as bad in the winter classic as they did in their last one I am thinking management will start to look at drastic moves. Like long-term changes to the team. Not filling holes or small retooling.

This team has little to no confidence, zero swagger. Inconsistent, and seems to struggle to come back. The offense is nearly all by one line and goaltending has been our band-aid, which is now showing signs of peeling. Rushing trades when in need results in GMs getting taken advantage of, which usually results in them getting fired down the line. So I don't know what Sweeney is looking at for trades or what ridiculous costs are being asked. But at this point, something needs to be done.

Hate to overreact to a game before and after Christmas, but I see deep flaws with this team that will keep them in the first round if injuries don't crop back up and keep them out fo the post-season.

Right now this team is a Werewolf, they are dangerous once a full moon.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
sports12282018.png

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
Just beat Buffalo on Saturday and go from there - they were playing well before the past 2 where you can see they did not want to put in the effort.

Orr Fourever

#Staysafe
Sponsor
Mar 27, 2018
The Wheat Province
Somebody forgot to tell the group, Christmas break is OVER!!!

Bergy brings it every game.
Pasta the puck once in awhile Bruh.
Kuraly is fast on his skates. Can't stick handle.

I didn't like Woods wacking Jaroslav. It should have been addressed..
I'll throw a name out there . I think he would look good in Black & Gold
Kevin Bieksa.
On to Buffalo...

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Kevin Bieksa.
On to Buffalo...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Kevin Bieksa.
On to Buffalo...

considering the Bruins had all their muscle back it really wasn't a good look.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
And also Marchand

Rust or not Chara really slows down things from the back end. He logs so many min... the overall "speed" from backend drops

Love the big guy and going up the rafters. But this has to be his last season
not only does he slow things down, but there was about fifteen times he just throws the puck into open space hoping someone would go get it, but in reality he is just giving posession back to the devils, so now they can come into the zone with speed while the rest of the b's scramble to get back into position

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This is what they are.

They’re good, not great. They’re flawed and streaky.

They’ll win a few in a row. They’ll win games against teams that are better than them and the fans have and will get their hopes up.

Then they’ll lose a few in a row and the sky is falling.

Their flaws are glaring and we’ve discussed them often as a board. In a cap league, you’re going to have some holes. It’s evident that management was banking on someone stepping up from within to take on the roles left vacant by both Riley and Rick Nash.

That’s what you need as an organization to happen in a cap world.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them simply stay the course and be neither buyers nor sellers regardless of how this next stretch unfolds.

If anything, I can see them making some very minor moves to bring in more depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad