Post-Game Talk: GAME 38 - Ugh - New Jersey 5 BRUINS 2 F - We're on to Buff-a-lo

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Me too.

Glad I missed it.
My sons wanted to see Holmes & Watson.
It sucked. But Im betting better than this.

I think a couple of us got the memo or something.

I went to dinner and they were late seating us. Saw a bit on the tv there and heard the first Bruins goal.

Came home and made the decision to watch a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey.

That’s sort of where I’m at with this club.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think a couple of us got the memo or something.

I went to dinner and they were late seating us. Saw a bit on the tv there and heard the first Bruins goal.

Came home and made the decision to watch a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey.

That’s sort of where I’m at with this club.

Better "Downton than Danton" eh?!?

Reactions: smithformeragent

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Can’t agree with this. So far this season considering, the injuries, Cassidy has turned coal in diamonds. He has had a broken roster from day one and they are still in a playoff spot. Tonight’s game is on the players, no one else. If he was to bench the players giving half effort the only players on the ice would have been Wagner, DeBrusk, Grizz and Halak, would have been an even longer sixty minutes. For me putting in three guys that have been injured for extended period of time, all at the same time really showed tonight. But they have to play to get the rust off so it is catch 22. I am not about to throw the coach under the bus before holding the players accountable. He tries everything possible, he mixes his lines, changes his defensive pairs when they start to struggle. I don’t believe this team, as it stands now, will go far in the playoffs, but I do believe they are good enough to get in. I am also certain Sweeney will make a move or two, and I am even more certain many won’t be happy with whatever moves he makes.

Regardless of guys coming back from injury, the Bs were still playing at home against one of the worst teams in the NHL, a team with 3 road wins in 18 games entering the evening, and a team missing their star player. Zero excuse to lose tonight, and I agree with Bruce that the coaches did a poor job of preparing the team. The Bs shouldn't have lost to Carolina before the break. They were in a close game for most of the game with a Nashville team that has been playing as bad as any team in the league. The Bs had more talent on the ice than any of those three teams at the time they played them. Bruce is not maximizing the talent he has available, whether it be through who he is putting on the roster nightly, or the lines he is coming up with. Also, I'm not sure how the bottom 9 are ever supposed to develop chemistry when Bruce is playing musical chairs with them.

I would kind of like to have an idea of what the Bs actually have before the trade deadline, but that's mighty difficult to assess given the way the team is being managed. Is JFK a reasonable answer at 3C? Might be, but he got sent down just as he was looking good and producing better than other people they've put there this season. Is Cehlarik someone who could fill a hole? Might be, but he hasn't even been called up this season after having a strong preseason, and after looking like a pretty damn good playmaker in his NHL games before this season. Would a 4th line of Nordstrom-Cave-Wagner be a great 4th line that would have the advantage over most 4th lines in the league? Might be, but we won't know that because Kuraly, and up until the past couple games Acciari, are binkies that don't produce but somehow keep getting ice time. What we do know is that Nordstrom does nothing for the second line, yet Bruce couldn't help himself tonight and scrapped the original second line and put Nordstrom there yet again. We do know that the bottom 9 has trouble producing, yet the same cast of characters keeps getting recycled through the line. We do know that the kid line was working, but that was abandoned by Bruce for whatever reason. And I'll stop there. I do like the job overall that Bruce has done, but I haven't been liking the way he has been doing things in recent weeks.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Can’t agree with this. So far this season considering, the injuries, Cassidy has turned coal in diamonds. He has had a broken roster from day one and they are still in a playoff spot. Tonight’s game is on the players, no one else. If he was to bench the players giving half effort the only players on the ice would have been Wagner, DeBrusk, Grizz and Halak, would have been an even longer sixty minutes. For me putting in three guys that have been injured for extended period of time, all at the same time really showed tonight. But they have to play to get the rust off so it is catch 22. I am not about to throw the coach under the bus before holding the players accountable. He tries everything possible, he mixes his lines, changes his defensive pairs when they start to struggle. I don’t believe this team, as it stands now, will go far in the playoffs, but I do believe they are good enough to get in. I am also certain Sweeney will make a move or two, and I am even more certain many won’t be happy with whatever moves he makes.

That's the easy way out. I feel as a coach anyways. Its ultimately his responsibilities that the players come-out of their break and are ready too play. He's the Coach and he needs to make sure his team is ready too play no-matter who their playing. They have a bad tenancy of playing down too and below their opponents ability.

He changes his lines way too often, I mean one shift your on the first line, then your benched, then your back on the second line, then your down on the 4th line. Its gotta be pretty hard to build some chemistry with one another when he's to busy playing mix and match and for the younger players to build some confidence in themselves.

I mean if they make a mistake their demoted a line or benched. I think he should be more patient with all the juggling he doe shift to shift and when one mistake is made, it means you might be in the press-box tomorrow. Each player will handle it different but Cassidy is playing a big revolving door with his lines and that just won't lead too success. He also refuses to reward a line when they work their tales off or make some nice plays in the o-zone that leads to a face off in the O-Zone. Out you come, and in goes the Bergy line. I mean its one of if not the best line in Hockey but come-on you need to let the other players have an offensive draw when they've earned it. Build some confidence in them and give them a chance to prove themselves.

Now every player is going to tell you Bergys tremendous on draws and that's a great line but deep down its gotta burn, and eventually Cassidy is taking the chance of losing his players. Especially when their hearing there's no scoring out side of the top line and then you go out have a good 30 second shift and your taken out as soon as there's an offensive face-off. He's won more than he's lost but as soon as a losing streak comes so will the snowballs.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Marchand (shows up when he wants to)- Bergeron - Pastrnak (shows up when he wants to)
DeBrusk - Krejci (shows up when he wants to) - HOLE
HOLE - HOLE - HOLE
Edited. These guys have to be better. They deserve credit for carrying the team since Bergeron went down, but their effort is not consistent whether they are/were playing with each other or not.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That's the easy way out. I feel as a coach anyways. Its ultimately his responsibilities that the players come-out of their break and are ready too play. He's the Coach and he needs to make sure his team is ready too play no-matter who their playing. They have a bad tenancy of playing down too and below their opponents ability.

He changes his lines way too often, I mean one shift your on the first line, then your benched, then your back on the second line, then your down on the 4th line. Its gotta be pretty hard to build some chemistry with one another when he's to busy playing mix and match and for the younger players to build some confidence in themselves.

I mean if they make a mistake their demoted a line or benched. I think he should be more patient with all the juggling he doe shift to shift and when one mistake is made, it means you might be in the press-box tomorrow. Each player will handle it different but Cassidy is playing a big revolving door with his lines and that just won't lead too success. He also refuses to reward a line when they work their tales off or make some nice plays in the o-zone that leads to a face off in the O-Zone. Out you come, and in goes the Bergy line. I mean its one of if not the best line in Hockey but come-on you need to let the other players have an offensive draw when they've earned it. Build some confidence in them and give them a chance to prove themselves.

Now every player is going to tell you Bergys tremendous on draws and that's a great line but deep down its gotta burn, and eventually Cassidy is taking the chance of losing his players. Especially when their hearing there's no scoring out side of the top line and then you go out have a good 30 second shift and your taken out as soon as there's an offensive face-off. He's won more than he's lost but as soon as a losing streak comes so will the snowballs.

Damned if you do and damn if you don't around here.

Reactions: BBB24

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Now every player is going to tell you Bergys tremendous on draws and that's a great line but deep down its gotta burn, and eventually Cassidy is taking the chance of losing his players. Especially when their hearing there's no scoring out side of the top line and then you go out have a good 30 second shift and your taken out as soon as there's an offensive face-off. He's won more than he's lost but as soon as losing streak comes so does the snowballs.

Never coached nor played at the NHL level, did make er to Junior B, never did I feel a rah rah speech did squat for me and my teammates over the years. I did however feel that having a coach who was consistent in both his message and teachings were the one`s who tended to have the ear and the effort of the team the longest.

Also never had an issue with coaches who, when something wasn`t working, was willing to make an adjustment however, that adjustment, as you mentioned, can`t be after one shift. Funny thing though, Claude was too slow to change things up, Butch tends to change em awfully quick.

My issues with Butch are he too, like every coach in the league, has his favourites and too often plays them far more than this guy would.

Now, end of the day, the on ice results is almost always on the players, if guys aren`t executing the game plan, it`s on them. If it`s clear the game time approach isn`t working, it`s on the coach. I see a team with little to no finish right now, loads of guys gripping the sticks too tightly, not sure what the coach can do about that.

Reactions: BBB24 and TCB

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Edited. These guys have to be better. They deserve credit for carrying the team since Bergeron went down, but their effort is not consistent whether they are/were playing with each other or not.

You must be jokin

Everyone is trying hard

Its the lines and chemistry issues that are the problem (cough Cassidy)

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I'd like to see that. Although it will probably just make me angry, because we all know the BS Brad has to put up with, with no hope of drawing a penalty.

I rewound the PVR to see the replay with just over a minute left in the third.

It looked kinda harmless and didn't look like anything that would cause a concussion but Brad was a little wobbly afterwards.

Marchand is a tough little bugger so I'm thinking he'll be OK

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Damned if you do and damn if you don't around here.

You gotta win, that's all;)

I like Cassidy but I'm not a fan of the way he's juggling his lines. I mean give them a chance for more than a period or two, with one another. Way too much juggling with them.

You have four arguably five top six forwards, three of them are all-world players, he should be able to find a way to get two scoring lines out of them. If not he's failed and right now with all his inconsistency in his line juggling he's failing.

Why not try Krejci with Marchy and Bjork/Cehlarik or Donato. Bergy with Pasta and Debrusk and play them together for 5-6 games.
He has two world class wingers , the top all around center in the league and one of the best play making centers in the league, he should be able to find a way too have two scoring lines.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Never coached nor played at the NHL level, did make er to Junior B, never did I feel a rah rah speech did squat for me and my teammates over the years. I did however feel that having a coach who was consistent in both his message and teachings were the one`s who tended to have the ear and the effort of the team the longest.

Also never had an issue with coaches who, when something wasn`t working, was willing to make an adjustment however, that adjustment, as you mentioned, can`t be after one shift. Funny thing though, Claude was too slow to change things up, Butch tends to change em awfully quick.

My issues with Butch are he too, like every coach in the league, has his favourites and too often plays them far more than this guy would.

Now, end of the day, the on ice results is almost always on the players, if guys aren`t executing the game plan, it`s on them. If it`s clear the game time approach isn`t working, it`s on the coach. I see a team with little to no finish right now, loads of guys gripping the sticks too tightly, not sure what the coach can do about that.

You need too have the players believe in you and respect you to be good coach and I feel the top players on the Bruins, Cassidy has that, but when he's changing his lines, and his line-up in the bottom 9, way to often, it tends to make players squeeze their sticks a little tighter than usual, as their putting undo pressure on them selves to succeed.

I totally agree with everything else you stated especially that raw raw guy. What I come to find out by Playing and Coaching its usually comes from one who's more into themselves than actually coaching.:laugh:

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

I like Cassidy but I'm not a fan of the way he's juggling his lines..........Why not try Krejci with Marchy and Bjork/Cehlarik or Donato. Bergy with Pasta and Debrusk and play them together for 5-6 games.
He has two world class wingers , the top all around center in the league and one of the best play making centers in the league, he should be able to find a way too have two scoring lines.
I agree with this.

Still doesn’t address that dumpster fire we call a third line though...

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
What a disappointing game . I thought we’ve got just about everyone back and now the team would gain some traction and start playing like they did around this time last year . It’s looking more and more like a wildcard spot and a date with Tampa / Washington and a 1st round exit . I really thought this team was better than that .

Reactions: Absurdity

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I like Cassidy but I'm not a fan of the way he's juggling his lines. I mean give them a chance for more than a period or two, with one another. Way too much juggling with them.

You have four arguably five top six forwards, three of them are all-world players, he should be able to find a way to get two scoring lines out of them. If not he's failed and right now with all his inconsistency in his line juggling he's failing.

Why not try Krejci with Marchy and Bjork/Cehlarik or Donato. Bergy with Pasta and Debrusk and play them together for 5-6 games.

With how little Heinen has produced, we are really talking about a team with SEVEN 4th liners.

Reactions: Estlin

Bleed Black and Gold

Dec 16, 2018
Trying to figure out this team makes my head hurt. They have 3 games in a row against playoff teams and look like world beaters and then they lay a couple of eggs against 2 if the weaker teams in the league? Their inconsistencies are truly mind boggling.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Bit of an Xmas hangover, I suppose. Had some point blank chances, but thwarted again by an inexperienced goalie. Good to see Chara and Miller out there.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Well that was UGLY.

At the end of the period Brad limped down the tunnel...NOT GOOD

Sigh. I am to tired to read through the GDT .

Night B's fans

Ugly is the right word for this game

It was a frustrating game watching on tv so it must've been really frustrating watching in person

Brad got his bell rung but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays next game

Reactions: gillesgilbert

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I don’t like how this team is being managed right now. They look like the Celtics, if everyone is healthy, coach has no idea what to do.

They need impact trades but I doubt those will happen during the season and I certainly don’t expect anything until the deadline which doesn’t bode well.

I could see them missing the playoffs but I remain hopeful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad