GDT: Game 38: Columbus at Dallas | 1/6 8:30PM EST

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
A forward line made a huge difference tonight, and that line wasn't the Benn / Seguin line. It was the Hartnell - Johansen - Foligno line.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Somebody had to do something with Cole taking a run at Toots and cross-checking (Collins?) in the face, and Boll was the one to do it.

I know he's not popular around NWA or on these boards, but he's always been one of my favorites. Injuries the last two or three years and fighting out his weight class season after season have clearly hurt, but his skating and work along the boards are so much better now compared to when he was 26. What do people want, the kid who would just go full speed and maybe make contact on the checking attempt?

He's on pace for his most fighting majors since 11-12, even though fighting seems to be on the way out. (I don't like staged fights but I think even the staged bouts keep other teams honest. Nash should send him a Christmas and birthday present every year.) He'll get his two or three goals and add a few assists. He seems to be a good influence on the younger guys.

Not trying to marry him, and it's his job, but I would hate to bust tail and contribute the little things only to know that the majority of the fan base thinks I'm overpaid and have to go. (I just went to capgeek and learned the site has ceased operations, but I think he makes 1.7 mil and I'm good with that for another year or two.)

Very pleased with the efforts after that goat---- in the desert. Now on to Toronto, where the team that holds the final playoff spot just fired Randy Carlyle. Glad I'm not a Leafs fan. Must be like rooting for the Cubbies or the Tribe.

Emotional post..... and a good one too... My take, Columbus is years away from being a NHL town as Boston, Philly, NYR, Toronto, Winnipeg or even the dreaded Buffalo Sabres.... NHL hockey is not kid stuff..... it's war.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Emotional post..... and a good one too... My take, Columbus is years away from being a NHL town as Boston, Philly, NYR, Toronto, Winnipeg or even the dreaded Buffalo Sabres.... NHL hockey is not kid stuff..... it's war.

The other guys make great points that are hard to argue against, and tonight's fight didn't give us the momentum back. But I think it put a stop to the chippy stuff and kept things honest enough for Wennberg to Letestu. (Hell of a play going skate-to-stick-to-pass, and it put the Stars down for good.)

Jody was really our last true heavyweight, right? The days of the Boll-Dorsett platoon are long gone. We have Prout, and the team as a whole has some chippy personas with skill that were sorely lacking back in the day, guys like Dubi and Foligno, but we don't need them fighting. So for me--and I won't mention it again here, it's Boll and Prout serving as the muscle.

I do see the POV from non-Boll fans, but I agree to disagree. Go Jackets, talk to y'all soon!

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Well one thing is for certain, our PK won't stay at 22 in the league for long with #55 back in the lineup. We've missed him dearly there and on the dots.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wennberg has what 3pts in 5 games since coming back?

Yeah he definitely needs to go back down... :rolleyes:

Hes played more physical and more aware ever since his call back up

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Nice win. I thought Hartnell's pass to Joey was too late, but the kid buried it. Very nice play by both. Wennberg to Letestu was great, happy for em both.

That PK!

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
How about K-Conn, still? His shot just insane, it's no fluke he keeps scoring. If he can make better plays under pressure and not be a big liability, he'll pot 10-15G for us easily per season.

I hope he isn't Cody Franson 2.0, though... scores a lot so you keep him in the lineup, but you know he could still have a negative impact on the team.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Don't look now...6 points out of the WC. Toronto just fired their coach. We have two games in hand on them. And we play them Friday. HUGE.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Times like that I wish Prout was in the lineup... Boll just doesn't have it anymore.

According to hockeyfights.com, he's 14-7-7 the last three seasons, including 5-0-3 this season. He was tied up with Moen during the scrum after the crosscheck to Morin, that's why he went with Moen, as well as the guy that crosschecked Morin isn't a fighter and wouldn't have gone. He was sending a message to Dallas that you aren't going to pull that stuff with us, he was doing his job. It was not a staged fight in the least. I understand now why he gets so much hate on here, most of you don't understand the intricacies of fighting. Moen kept spinning in circles because he was afraid of getting hit, Boller did his best in that fight and got the slight edge. But more importantly stood up for his teammates.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How about K-Conn, still? His shot just insane, it's no fluke he keeps scoring. If he can make better plays under pressure and not be a big liability, he'll pot 10-15G for us easily per season.

I hope he isn't Cody Franson 2.0, though... scores a lot so you keep him in the lineup, but you know he could still have a negative impact on the team.

I like Cotton but I wouldn't call him legit yet. He's had a hot few weeks and he's playing extremely well, but if he was this good consistently he wouldn't have been on waivers. Now I get it, he wasn't given an opportunity with the Stars or Canucks that he is here and he's thriving with it, but still its something to keep note of. I like him alot hope he keeps going.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Somebody had to do something with Cole taking a run at Toots and cross-checking (Collins?) in the face, and Boll was the one to do it.

I know he's not popular around NWA or on these boards, but he's always been one of my favorites. Injuries the last two or three years and fighting out his weight class season after season have clearly hurt, but his skating and work along the boards are so much better now compared to when he was 26. What do people want, the kid who would just go full speed and maybe make contact on the checking attempt?

He's on pace for his most fighting majors since 11-12, even though fighting seems to be on the way out. (I don't like staged fights but I think even the staged bouts keep other teams honest. Nash should send him a Christmas and birthday present every year.) He'll get his two or three goals and add a few assists. He seems to be a good influence on the younger guys.

Not trying to marry him, and it's his job, but I would hate to bust tail and contribute the little things only to know that the majority of the fan base thinks I'm overpaid and have to go. (I just went to capgeek and learned the site has ceased operations, but I think he makes 1.7 mil and I'm good with that for another year or two.)

Very pleased with the efforts after that goat---- in the desert. Now on to Toronto, where the team that holds the final playoff spot just fired Randy Carlyle. Glad I'm not a Leafs fan. Must be like rooting for the Cubbies or the Tribe.

Good post, glad someone else gets what he brings to the team! We are in the minority for sure on here...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 2m2 minutes ago

#CBJ Jared Boll played one shift in the third period, but that was Richards' decision based on game flow. No new injuries, Richards said.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I like Cotton but I wouldn't call him legit yet. He's had a hot few weeks and he's playing extremely well, but if he was this good consistently he wouldn't have been on waivers. Now I get it, he wasn't given an opportunity with the Stars or Canucks that he is here and he's thriving with it, but still its something to keep note of. I like him alot hope he keeps going.

I understand the cautious optimism, and I'm not saying he won't have a set back or anything like that, but often it is the case that a change of scenery or personnel will spark an outbreak. Look at Letestu, for example. Every time he's in the top six, he produces. He was moved up to the top-six shortly before he was injured, and had 4 goals in his past five games, but he was a fourth liner in Pittsburgh that we got for a low pick. He had a slow start last year, but again, when he played higher he got most of his points in the latter half of the season.

What I think contributes to Cotton's success here is how mobile our blue line is. We have guys like Wiz and Savard and Johnson that people are concentrating on as well, and we have people that not only can set him up, but give him the time to set up as well.

He also seems to have a high hockey-IQ. He pinches frequently but is rarely caught up ice. That's not to say he doesn't have more to improve on, but he's young, and I think we really picked up a gem. Guy can really throw some hits too.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I understand the cautious optimism, and I'm not saying he won't have a set back or anything like that, but often it is the case that a change of scenery or personnel will spark an outbreak. Look at Letestu, for example. Every time he's in the top six, he produces. He was moved up to the top-six shortly before he was injured, and had 4 goals in his past five games, but he was a fourth liner in Pittsburgh that we got for a low pick. He had a slow start last year, but again, when he played higher he got most of his points in the latter half of the season.

What I think contributes to Cotton's success here is how mobile our blue line is. We have guys like Wiz and Savard and Johnson that people are concentrating on as well, and we have people that not only can set him up, but give him the time to set up as well.

He also seems to have a high hockey-IQ. He pinches frequently but is rarely caught up ice. That's not to say he doesn't have more to improve on, but he's young, and I think we really picked up a gem. Guy can really throw some hits too.

I agree, he's very mobile and quick and can turn from backwards to forwards without stumbling like most of our D and he's got as good a shot as Wiz, if not better and get's the shots through.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I'm very glad, that we won. I'm very glad, that Letesty come back. I'm very glad, that without new injuries. I'm very glad, that 12-2-1 in last 15 game.
Dallas have 8-1-1 in last 10, but we won.
All with win!!!

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I like how we continue to win with mirrors. But if we are going to be legit playoff contenders, the Calvert-Dubie-Cam line has to step up. Frankly none of them is playing at the level they played at last season. Dubie is still probably trying to regain his touch. And both Matt and Cam have had injuries. But still, we have got to get that line going.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I like how we continue to win with mirrors. But if we are going to be legit playoff contenders, the Calvert-Dubie-Cam line has to step up. Frankly none of them is playing at the level they played at last season. Dubie is still probably trying to regain his touch. And both Matt and Cam have had injuries. But still, we have got to get that line going.

This. Mostly Atkinson tho

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
WHAT!!!!

No new injuries?

:yo::handclap::thumbu::rolly::cheers::hyper::5: :banana::hockey:

Play of the night was Wennberg taking Test tubes crappy pass, and turning it into a beauty of an assist. I think the only other Jacket that makes that play is Johan.

So far, the thing that is impressing me about Cotton is the fact that he gets his shots on net with authority. How many defensemen have we had that spray the damn puck everywhere but on net.

Nice win, now on to Toronto.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I appreciate the win and the closing of the playoff gap but I think we won that game last night because of who was in goal. Both Bob and Lindback.

If the Jackets could figure out how to attack consistently like the Stars do they would be a very good team. There were occasional flashes last night but a lot of the time was same old throw it in bang around lose the puck.

One other observation- I thought the Stars looked like an Eastern team and the Jackets a Western.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad