GDT: Game 38: Columbus at Dallas | 1/6 8:30PM EST

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Can't believe some of you guys actually feel fighting is still an integral part of the game. We don't need an "enforcer" on the roster. When is the last time we had a top 6 skater suffer a major injury in a fight? Brassard v Neal?

And stop lumping Prout in with Boll. Prout's a solid dman with 3 freakin majors on the season (and 2 of those involved Lucy picking fights with him). Boll sees 1/3 the TOI and has 8 majors on the season. One guy gets payed to play hockey, the other gets paid to put butts in seats and throw punches a couple times a month. Jared Boll is a great guy, but his contribution to the team is minimal, and insignificant. I'd take MacKenzie back in a heart beat over Boll.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Can't believe some of you guys actually feel fighting is still an integral part of the game. We don't need an "enforcer" on the roster. When is the last time we had a top 6 skater suffer a major injury in a fight? Brassard v Neal?

And stop lumping Prout in with Boll. Prout's a solid dman with 3 freakin majors on the season (and 2 of those involved Lucy picking fights with him). Boll sees 1/3 the TOI and has 8 majors on the season. One guy gets payed to play hockey, the other gets paid to put butts in seats and throw punches a couple times a month. Jared Boll is a great guy, but his contribution to the team is minimal, and insignificant. I'd take MacKenzie back in a heart beat over Boll.

Foligno had his teeth knocked out twice this year so far...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't mind fighting as part of the game. You need to answer the bell sometimes, especially if you cross a line. Look, I don't know how valuable Boll is in the room to the young guys or how much of a leader he is, and if he is a great leader/mentor that's great we always need those guys. But he is a liability on the ice at everything other than fighting. He misses body checks, he sure as hell doesn't score, and frankly getting the puck out of the zone is an accomplishment for him right now. Boll seems like a great guy and an important figure to the past of the team, but his 1.7 million salary could be spent on a far more important player. Gone are the days of 'goons' for the sake of being goons (Except John Scott). If you're going to be an enforcer or a fighter, at least have some hockey skill like Prout or Dorsett when he was here. Give me Dorsett back before I would have Boll at his salary.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Jared Boll is a great guy, but his contribution to the team is minimal, and insignificant. I'd take MacKenzie back in a heart beat over Boll.

I don't think people realize that Boll's contract is similar to a lifetime achievement award. It is not compensation for current value, but reward for past services. He is, and has been, a fan favorite for the entire time he has pulled on a Jackets sweater. Heart and soul kind of guy. When they handed him his contract, they were not confined by cap space. By the time it expires, we will need the money, but don't hold your breath that he gets an extension, much less a raise. This is his "gold watch" and everyone except the "haters" understand that. Boll's contribution to the team may be minimal & insignificant today, but it was not during the Dark Years of the organization. He was a distraction from the hot, steaming mess that was a team with no hope of playoff aspirations; or even a hope to be competitive.

Mac was a different situation. The only way to retain him was to go long on term, and with the prospects coming up, there was no way that could happen. In two years you guys would be here screaming about how much a waste Mac is when you could have "X" for a million $ less doing the same job, blah, blah, blah.
I think they did Mac a huge favor by letting him go where he could get paid what he is worth, and not have to listen to people gripe about how he isn't playing up to his contract.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I was being facetious. However, I would rather have Boll/Prout fight for two reasons:

1. They train to fight in the off-season
2. I don't want to see any of the aforementioned in your post get hurt in a fight

I realize those guys can and will drop the gloves, I would just rather it not be them.

Thanks for clarifying.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I don't think people realize that Boll's contract is similar to a lifetime achievement award. It is not compensation for current value, but reward for past services. He is, and has been, a fan favorite for the entire time he has pulled on a Jackets sweater. Heart and soul kind of guy. When they handed him his contract, they were not confined by cap space. By the time it expires, we will need the money, but don't hold your breath that he gets an extension, much less a raise. This is his "gold watch" and everyone except the "haters" understand that. Boll's contribution to the team may be minimal & insignificant today, but it was not during the Dark Years of the organization. He was a distraction from the hot, steaming mess that was a team with no hope of playoff aspirations; or even a hope to be competitive.

Totally agree with this assessment. I've often said the Boll contract is a 'thank you' more than anything. It's particularly meaningful when you think about other guys in his line of work that end up having problems later in life because of brain damage.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I don't mind fighting as part of the game. You need to answer the bell sometimes, especially if you cross a line. Look, I don't know how valuable Boll is in the room to the young guys or how much of a leader he is, and if he is a great leader/mentor that's great we always need those guys. But he is a liability on the ice at everything other than fighting. He misses body checks, he sure as hell doesn't score, and frankly getting the puck out of the zone is an accomplishment for him right now. Boll seems like a great guy and an important figure to the past of the team, but his 1.7 million salary could be spent on a far more important player. Gone are the days of 'goons' for the sake of being goons (Except John Scott). If you're going to be an enforcer or a fighter, at least have some hockey skill like Prout or Dorsett when he was here. Give me Dorsett back before I would have Boll at his salary.

It's as if you think there's some kind of choice as to whether the CBJ pay Boll or not. :huh:

Money's spent. Whether it could be 'better' spent is sort of irrelevant, IMO, because there's no choice. I don't see them trading him without retaining salary and given the fact he seems to have an important role in the room, I don't see any benefit to doing that - it could in fact have a negative effect within.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Totally agree with this assessment. I've often said the Boll contract is a 'thank you' more than anything. It's particularly meaningful when you think about other guys in his line of work that end up having problems later in life because of brain damage.

He puts butts in seats, no argument from me on that one. Jody Shelley was much the same way, but it doesn't change my mind about fighting and the end of the enforcer era. Boll is a fighter first, player second, and he should be the last Jacket to ever qualify in that way if the front office is serious about building a contender.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's as if you think there's some kind of choice as to whether the CBJ pay Boll or not. :huh:

Money's spent. Whether it could be 'better' spent is sort of irrelevant, IMO, because there's no choice. I don't see them trading him without retaining salary and given the fact he seems to have an important role in the room, I don't see any benefit to doing that - it could in fact have a negative effect within.

Uh, there was a choice. They had every right to let him walk after last season(?) but they didn't. You're right, money is spent and it's too late and we're stuck with him.

As I said, if he's got an important role in the room and is in the leadership side then great, that's good for him to earn his money somewhere. Because it for sure isn't on the ice.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
He puts butts in seats, no argument from me on that one. Jody Shelley was much the same way, but it doesn't change my mind about fighting and the end of the enforcer era. Boll is a fighter first, player second, and he should be the last Jacket to ever qualify in that way if the front office is serious about building a contender.

Fighting has lost some significance over the last several years but that doesn't mean a team needs to play like *******... Boll is expendable but if you tell the league your team won't fight or stand up with a fist or two you are fooling yourself... This is not European hockey, the NHL is still a drop the glove league when called for and I hope it continues as such..

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Fighting has lost some significance over the last several years but that doesn't mean a team needs to play like *******... Boll is expendable but if you tell the league your team won't fight or stand up with a fist or two you are fooling yourself... This is not European hockey, the NHL is still a drop the glove league when called for and I hope it continues as such..

Buffalo leads the league in major penalties this season.
Detroit, Nashville, and Chicago have the fewest.

The SCF Rangers were 23rd, the Kings 21st last season in major penalties.

I'm not debating whether fighting in hockey is entertaining, I jump out of my seat like anybody when the gloves are dropped. I'm telling you the successful teams in today's NHL aren't paying guys to fight anymore.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Buffalo leads the league in major penalties this season.
Detroit, Nashville, and Chicago have the fewest.

The SCF Rangers were 23rd, the Kings 21st last season in major penalties.

I'm not debating whether fighting in hockey is entertaining, I jump out of my seat like anybody when the gloves are dropped. I'm telling you the successful teams in today's NHL aren't paying guys to fight anymore.

All the teams listed have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talent. I figure if you don't have that luxury, you better be tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad