GDT: Game 38: Columbus at Dallas | 1/6 8:30PM EST

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Toronto...we have 2 games in hand and play them...washington is further ahead...

Funny thing is we aren't even on SCS's "who to root for" chart. I don't really care either way. If Toronto is eventually going to collapse, then let them steal two from Washington. If Washington is going to play at our pace our better, it doesn't matter if they win.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Put me in the root for Washington group. I think Toronto is the team with the best chance of collapsing so they might as well get started.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Someone did do something. Brad Watson put Cole away for 2 minutes and put one of the most dangerous PP's in the league on the ice.

One of the greatest myths in hockey..........they put a big hit on one of your players, you have to answer by dropping the gloves with another player on the next shift. Jared Boll didn't do anything but try to justify his salary. Did that fight light a fire on the bench? Absolutely not, we actually lost control of the game from that point on.

Babcock figured this out years ago. You don't carry a fighter when forward depth is so critical. We carry Boll for 1.7 per, they got Abdelkader for 1.8 Which guy does more for their team? Boll makes 50% more than Calvert, again who brings more the to the ice?

We let MacKenzie go to the FLA for 400k less than we pay Boll............come on man.

You Boll-haters make great points, and I respect them, but please forgive me...

As far I can recall, Cole did not receive a cross-checking penalty for the sequence that preceded Boll's fight with Moen. He went to the box once in the first for the hit on Toots. Probably should have been whistled three times total instead of two.

Don't we want guys to "try and justify" their salaries? Shall we have the CBJ return to the days of guys not taking up for each other?

Of course we all miss D-Mac, but what can I say? If we let Boll go before he inked his last deal does that mean D-Mac would be here now? I don't think so. Let's see where Florida and CBJ are in the standing come March.

Always nice talking puck with everyone here, even when we disagree. I know so few people who dig the game. This is always a nice way to spend some free time. Cheers.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

As far I can recall, Cole did not receive a cross-checking penalty for the sequence that preceded Boll's fight with Moen. He went to the box once in the first for the hit on Toots. Probably should have been whistled three times total instead of two.

Don't we want guys to "try and justify" their salaries? Shall we have the CBJ return to the days of guys not taking up for each other?

Of course we all miss D-Mac, but what can I say? If we let Boll go before he inked his last deal does that mean D-Mac would be here now? I don't think so. Let's see where Florida and CBJ are in the standing come March.

Always nice talking puck with everyone here, even when we disagree. I know so few people who dig the game. This is always a nice way to spend some free time. Cheers.

Yeah, the Moen/Morin sequence was a bit ridiculous in the fact that no penalty was called. Can see why Boll fought him on the next FO.

Don't think it was a big "momentum changer" for a fight. Sure, the Stars didn't score but they also were out-shooting us and had the puck a lot after that as well. Boll didn't really play in the 3rd.

I don't think it's necessarily that people don't want him sticking up for teammates, it's that it's...I don't know, not really necessary. Fighting is slowly being phased out, but think of the guys who don't really take $%# and will fight themselves - Foligno, Dubinsky, Prout, Calvert, Tropp, etc. I mean I can name just a handful of guys who won't fight - Joey (he does have one though last year), Cam, Letestu, Murray if he's healthy doesn't really fight, Tyutin, Arty. So this idea that the team absolutely needs an enforcer to "protect" guys doesn't hold much weight for me. There are guys on basically every line who will step in once in awhile when needed. I don't see a soft team or anything like that so Boll's role as a fighter is a bit diminished in my eyes.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
My issue with Boll is his usage, not his role.

If Boll were to dress 40-45 games per season, that would be just about right, imo. The fact that he's not been a healthy scratch through 38 games speaks more to the diminished roster than anything else.

I'm an advocate of fighting. Boll, however, is a very mediocre fighter, some website's ratings notwithstanding. He is, however, willing to stand up for teammates. Other than his willingness to fight, he brings precious little to the team.

I guess that I'd like more "bang for the buck", if you will, with my team's enforcer. Boll's contract isn't a back breaker, but it's a bad one. If his compensation were more in line with his value, then I'd expect very little negativism about him on this board. But, it isn't, and the fact that he's played in all 38 games on a poor 4th line, hasn't won any fights decisively, and is grossly overpaid is going to subject him to message board criticism.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio

Amen to that. In this OSU madness of Central Ohio, my CBJ peeps are my refuge. At my workplace, we may wear jeans every day until the game as long as we accompany it with OSU spirit wear. For the love of God, I don't even own anything OSU related.

I can only manage one sports-related obsession. I choose hockey, of course, and have very few people outside my immediate family and YOU ALL to talk about it with.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
WHAT!!!!

No new injuries?

:yo::handclap::thumbu::rolly::cheers::hyper::5: :banana::hockey:

Play of the night was Wennberg taking Test tubes crappy pass, and turning it into a beauty of an assist. I think the only other Jacket that makes that play is Johan.

So far, the thing that is impressing me about Cotton is the fact that he gets his shots on net with authority. How many defensemen have we had that spray the damn puck everywhere but on net.

Nice win, now on to Toronto.

WTF???????
You do realize that the defenseman was able to partially deflect the aerial saucer pass don't you?

Not to mention any hockey player should be able to kick that up to his stick. It was very easy.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I like how we continue to win with mirrors. But if we are going to be legit playoff contenders, the Calvert-Dubie-Cam line has to step up. Frankly none of them is playing at the level they played at last season. Dubie is still probably trying to regain his touch. And both Matt and Cam have had injuries. But still, we have got to get that line going.

They're not doing it with mirrors. They are well coached & have a very good system that is very hard to play against & a good goalie.

It took awhile for all the new additions, due to injuries, to figure the system out & play as a team. Coach Richards & his staff should get a lot of credit for his patience & teaching during their injury swoon. They will be a better team for having to go through this adversity.

thebus2288*

Foligno better start putting on the foil once we start to get healthy. Dubi too. Who needs our 2 most important offensive players actually ON the ice? Hartnell and Tropp are gonna be beating people up all over the ice, can't wait boy!! The Joey Vitale's of the league better watch the **** out!! Maybe Horton comes back and puts it on some people.

This is what we need more of!!

Prout and Boll?!? Get that trash outta the game and them in the pressbox!!

They're both a LIABILITY!! And Boll can't even fight!!

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

I really don't see much value in Boll so I guess that puts me in the hater group but what he did last night had to be done. I have zero issue with a fight as part of the flow of the game & not just for the sake of having a fight.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Missed the 3rd but was pleasantly surprised to see we hung on and collected the 2 points against a solid team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
WTF???????
You do realize that the defenseman was able to partially deflect the aerial saucer pass don't you?

Not to mention any hockey player should be able to kick that up to his stick. It was very easy.

I agree. I can kick the puck to my stick at 3/4 speed like Wennberg did. If he managed to pull that off going full bore that would have been something.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Foligno better start putting on the foil once we start to get healthy. Dubi too. Who needs our 2 most important offensive players actually ON the ice? Hartnell and Tropp are gonna be beating people up all over the ice, can't wait boy!! The Joey Vitale's of the league better watch the **** out!! Maybe Horton comes back and puts it on some people.

This is what we need more of!!

Prout and Boll?!? Get that trash outta the game and them in the pressbox!!

They're both a LIABILITY!! And Boll can't even fight!!

Why on earth would you want Foligno and Dubi "putting on the foil" and putting Boll in the pressbox in favor of Tropp? You say Boll can't fight, yet hockeyfights.com has him at 5-0-3 on the season and Tropp got his jaw broken in a fight. And you think Horton is going to come back and fight?? IF he ever comes back, I can assure you fighting will not be part of his game anymore and I'm fine with that and I love fighting but I don't want our star players breaking their hands when that's not their job. Your post, while I enjoyed the videos, gave me indigestion...

thebus2288*

Why on earth would you want Foligno and Dubi "putting on the foil" and putting Boll in the pressbox in favor of Tropp? You say Boll can't fight, yet hockeyfights.com has him at 5-0-3 on the season and Tropp got his jaw broken in a fight. And you think Horton is going to come back and fight?? IF he ever comes back, I can assure you fighting will not be part of his game anymore and I'm fine with that and I love fighting but I don't want our star players breaking their hands when that's not their job. Your post, while I enjoyed the videos, gave me indigestion...

You sir are NOT a good rep for the whole hockey fighting/concussion issue. :sarcasm: Jesus man.:sarcasm: Couple ice DDT's back in the day, eh?:sarcasm: You WATCHED the videos?? I've got your back on the whole fighting thing homeboy. Sarcasm is sarcasm. Prout should be in prolly 80% of the games just for his pure toughness and (especially now) just his effect on the other team doing "questionable" things. He's also a very serviceable player defensively. Boll WHEN HEALTHY should be in prolly 60-70% of the time. We have not been healthy. He IS still a very good fighter. Way better league wise than most of you give him credit for. And way bigger "impact" on the bence on the ice and in the room. I don't have to live in Ohio to see it. I'd also like to remind you guys of HIS injuries the last few years. WE DO NOT NEED TO HAVE DUBINSKY OR FOLIGNO FIGHTING AT ALL. If something happens during a game and they feel the need to step up and drop the gloves with a reasonable opponent, ok. But neither of them should feel that they HAVE to step up and fight somebody because of something that happened in a game. And another thing is the physical or "dirty" play that is directed TOWARDS the CBJ players. Mainly the younger(Wennberg, Morin, Murray, Savard) smaller (Calvert, Atkinson), or "star" players( Johansen, Johnson, Wiz*). We are probably a top 3-5 team in the NHL when it comes to "toughness". High end and top to bottom. However I thin a lot of you guys underestimate how much of a difference our "top end" (Boll/Prout) makes on the OVERALL toughness throughout the lineup.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You sir are NOT a good rep for the whole hockey fighting/concussion issue. :sarcasm: Jesus man.:sarcasm: Couple ice DDT's back in the day, eh?:sarcasm: You WATCHED the videos?? I've got your back on the whole fighting thing homeboy. Sarcasm is sarcasm. Prout should be in prolly 80% of the games just for his pure toughness and (especially now) just his effect on the other team doing "questionable" things. He's also a very serviceable player defensively. Boll WHEN HEALTHY should be in prolly 60-70% of the time. We have not been healthy. He IS still a very good fighter. Way better league wise than most of you give him credit for. And way bigger "impact" on the bence on the ice and in the room. I don't have to live in Ohio to see it. I'd also like to remind you guys of HIS injuries the last few years. WE DO NOT NEED TO HAVE DUBINSKY OR FOLIGNO FIGHTING AT ALL. If something happens during a game and they feel the need to step up and drop the gloves with a reasonable opponent, ok. But neither of them should feel that they HAVE to step up and fight somebody because of something that happened in a game. And another thing is the physical or "dirty" play that is directed TOWARDS the CBJ players. Mainly the younger(Wennberg, Morin, Murray, Savard) smaller (Calvert, Atkinson), or "star" players( Johansen, Johnson, Wiz*). We are probably a top 3-5 team in the NHL when it comes to "toughness". High end and top to bottom. However I thin a lot of you guys underestimate how much of a difference our "top end" (Boll/Prout) makes on the OVERALL toughness throughout the lineup.

You clearly don't know me on here, I'm the biggest Boll supporter there is, I agree with everything you said in this post about Boll. If you were being sarcastic in the first post, my apologies, if not, you contradicted yourself. Perhaps I didn't pick up on the sarcasm, seems we are in agreement if so. I like Prout, though it's tough to see where he plays when we are totally healthy. Johnson, Wiz, Tyutin will never be healthy scratches, though I'm not a fan of Tyutin's play most nights. And Connauton has turned into our best blueliner and Murray is our best when he's healthy. And I like Savard and his physical play in front of the net and nose for the net during big goals. so i don't know who would sit for Prout out of that group. I would love for it to be Tyutin but that isn't going to happen I don't think.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
No way do I ever sit Prout and Boll at the same time. That would make our team Charmin Ultra Soft.

I won't argue with you about Boll and Prout, but I think you've seriously underestimated the rest of the team. Guys like Savard, Foligno, Hartnell, Johnson, Wiznewski, and Dubinsky are the farthest thing from soft.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I won't argue with you about Boll and Prout, but I think you've seriously underestimated the rest of the team. Guys like Savard, Foligno, Hartnell, Johnson, Wiznewski, and Dubinsky are the farthest thing from soft.

I was being facetious. However, I would rather have Boll/Prout fight for two reasons:

1. They train to fight in the off-season
2. I don't want to see any of the aforementioned in your post get hurt in a fight

I realize those guys can and will drop the gloves, I would just rather it not be them.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio

Don't forget Matty taking on big Rick Nash. Yeah, grit isn't one of our problems, IMO.

Truly the only ones I get nervous about in a scrum are Cam due to size (not questioning his heart) and Joey. Don't need Joey breaking a hand. He also just seems the affable type to me.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Don't forget Matty taking on big Rick Nash. Yeah, grit isn't one of our problems, IMO.

Truly the only ones I get nervous about in a scrum are Cam due to size (not questioning his heart) and Joey. Don't need Joey breaking a hand. He also just seems the affable type to me.

You do have to love the big cheesy grin on Joey's face when he gets involved in some of these types of things (particularly against the Rangers).

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You do have to love the big cheesy grin on Joey's face when he gets involved in some of these types of things (particularly against the Rangers).

And the fight against the Habs last year. I think it's good for them once in awhile to mix it up, brings the team closer together in the room with the jabs and ball busting that goes with it. I just hold my breath anytime it happens...

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Joey IS a big cheesy grin, lol! He seems like an oh shucks guy. The players love goofing with him when he's being interviewed, etc. He is clearly well liked.

His nickname suits him. The kid is JOEY. Never understood Johan or RyJo. All I've ever heard him referred to by management, coaches and teammates is Joey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad