Post-Game Talk: GAME #37: Canucks vs. Lightning on Guaranteed Loss Night... and they lose 5 - 2 (and lose Stecher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Nah its pretty easy really. I mean I can watch sports I am not familiar with and see whos good and whos bad

Lets not pretend that being a hockey fan = some sort of savantiness.

Wrong. If you’ve never watched a rugby game you may THINK player X is awesome but have no idea if what he’s doing is helping or hurting. You just think you know who’s good / bad. It’s bad enough when people on here have complete opposite reactions to a players performance in the same guy. One guys synopsis is “Guddy was awesome” and a few posts later someone else is saying “Guddy was terrible”.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
I like the current status of fighting in the NHL.
The emotionless staged fights between paid goons are gone. Pointless and boring.

The fights now (tonight being a good example) are mostly actual payback for dirty plays, so they have real emotion, purpose and hatred behind them. You're cheering for your guy to get revenge; emotional investment = entertaining.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
RE Gudbransen.

You’re friends don’t watch hockey , but they’re qualified to single out who’s the worst player ?

That’s like saying , “I’ve never seen a root canal, but of all the dentists in the room doing them, this one is the worst”
Not knowing anything about hockey doesn’t stop you from spewing all the crap you have the last few years.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Real proud of the fellas tonight. Tough loss, but I think they've been itching for an excuse to back up their teammates after the whole Petterson thing.

Any word on if the league will look at the Martel hit?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Feel bad for Stecher. He was on the fringe with this coach, IMO, and he needed to keep his recent good playing going. Now, we wait to see how he returns. Tough loss.

On another note: I like Eriksson paired with Horvat. I think Eriksson needs to be in the top6. He's a very smart player even if he has lost foot speed. I would like to see a Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson line when SB returns.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Feel bad for Stecher. He was on the fringe with this coach, IMO, and he needed to keep his recent good playing going. Now, we wait to see how he returns. Tough loss.

On another note: I like Eriksson paired with Horvat. I think Eriksson needs to be in the top6. He's a very smart player even if he has lost foot speed. I would like to see a Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson line when SB returns.
Eriksson battled hard tonight but did absolutely nothing positive offensively, was slow and pucks died on his stick. I'm fine with using him on the PK and in defensive deployment but he should be nowhere near Horvat who has played significantly better with Roussel this year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Eriksson battled hard tonight but did absolutely nothing positive offensively, was slow and pucks died on his stick. I'm fine with using him on the PK and in defensive deployment but he should be nowhere near Horvat who has played significantly better with Roussel this year.

Horvat didn't do much offensively tonight either.

Eriksson is slower, but he's efficient in what he needs to do. That's why he's on that line in the first place. I'm not too concerned over the short term offense. The points will come so long as they keep shot differentials in their favour. It's in thinking the game. Eriksson thinks the game well enough to play there. By contrast, while Roussel doesn't think the game as well, he's a quicker forechecker and plays in straight lines. That seems to mesh with Horvat as well.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Horvat didn't do much offensively tonight either.

Eriksson is slower, but he's efficient in what he needs to do. That's why he's on that line in the first place. I'm not too concerned over the short term offense. The points will come so long as they keep shot differentials in their favour. It's in thinking the game. Eriksson thinks the game well enough to play there. By contrast, while Roussel doesn't think the game as well, he's a quicker forechecker and plays in straight lines. That seems to mesh with Horvat as well.
That's a pretty small sample size Bleach, Horvat is having a great season offensively dragging around replacement level junk and on a ~70 point pace.

Eriksson is working hard, does the little things well but is a complete black hole offensively, Rousell has outplayed him for sure and his underlying numbers with Horvat have been fantastic this year. Ideally neither of them play with Horvat as I'm trying to see if Baertschi and Virtanen work out with him as a 2nd line.

Eriksson should be stapled to a checking line and 70% defensive zone starts with Sutter or Beagle obviously he's nowhere near worth his contract but in a role like that he's at least effective and freeing up offensive usage for Pettersson and Horvat's lines.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Sorry dude. My wife who grew up in India and never watched was able to pick out who was good and who wasnt.

Rugby is a much more "complex" sport with very specific roles so its not comparable at all.

Hockey isnt all that complex to figure out whos good and who isnt.
Wrong. If you’ve never watched a rugby game you may THINK player X is awesome but have no idea if what he’s doing is helping or hurting. You just think you know who’s good / bad. It’s bad enough when people on here have complete opposite reactions to a players performance in the same guy. One guys synopsis is “Guddy was awesome” and a few posts later someone else is saying “Guddy was terrible”.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That's a pretty small sample size Bleach, Horvat is having a great season offensively dragging around replacement level junk and on a ~70 point pace.

Eriksson is working hard, does the little things well but is a complete black hole offensively, Rousell has outplayed him for sure and his underlying numbers with Horvat have been fantastic this year. Ideally neither of them play with Horvat as I'm trying to see if Baertschi and Virtanen work out with him as a 2nd line.

Eriksson should be stapled to a checking line and 70% defensive zone starts with Sutter or Beagle obviously he's nowhere near worth his contract but in a role like that he's at least effective and freeing up offensive usage for Pettersson and Horvat's lines.

One of the reasons I think Horvat has suffered a revolving door of wingers is because none have distinguished themselves for the spot. Even Roussel has apparent limitations. They will see him move down when Baertschi returns. Virtanen got a look and was then moved off for Eriksson. This change matters. It let's us know that despite his lack of speed, he's still seen as a player that can be effective 2ways near the top of the line-up.

Virtanen, Roussel and Eriksson are all hovering around the same PPG pace. Let's not overlook this when condemning one player of the lot while promoting another (Virtanen in your scenario), for the aesthetic of speed and random shot selection.

I say give LE a run and if he bombs, then demote him. Really, this should be the mantra for any winger not named Boeser.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Entertaining game. Loved seeing the guys stick up for each other. Boeser didn't have a good game but I love how he was the first one over to Paquette after his charge on Petterson. You would never have seen Daniel do that for Henrik or vice versa. Nice to see our top players showing a little backbone for once.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Why the hell did both Goldobin and Hutton manage to find opportunities to take the puck to the net when in the first period Virtanen had a clear path to the front and went behind the net instead.

Watching Virtanen skate down the wing and either take a low percentage shot or go behind the net every single time 1 on 1 is frustrating enough, but this time he actually had a wide open path to the net and still chose not to take it. I like Virtanen, and he's clearly improved and I hope he can continue to do so, but what the **** man.

At this point, that’s how he plays the game. It’s not a bad habit etc. That is literally all he is capable of as his hockey IQ is so low.

Maybe he looks better and is more engaged, but the same massive issues that were holding him back years ago, still are.

Those shots from the corner or bad angles piss me right the f*** off. Every single time.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I didn’t think the martel hit was that bad and it seemed like he got shoulder first. Emotions were running to high last night to have a discussion about it,

But to the game at hand, why does anyone consider gudbranson tough at all. All season he only cheap shots players being held already or does nothing and then talks big.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I didn’t think the martel hit was that bad and it seemed like he got shoulder first. Emotions were running to high last night to have a discussion about it,

But to the game at hand, why does anyone consider gudbranson tough at all. All season he only cheap shots players being held already or does nothing and then talks big.

Completely agree.

Thought the hit was fine and the whole game was just ugly and embarrassing. I hate that punks like Roussel and Gudbranson are on the team.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yea I thought people didn’t want punks like Cooke and burrows on this team, but these are the same people that are cheering for rousell?

Idk could be because of whom signed him that rousell has to be defended

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018

Im not surprised this is your take. Good for guddy for clobbering the rat. You want to make a potential season/career ending hit on a player I feel no sorrow if you get clocked in a scrum. Tampa players had all game to go challenge Guddy for that.

As for Roussel, what did he do? He hit the guy clean and then he got challenged. He dropped him. Do you feel sorry for Gourde too?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yea I thought people didn’t want punks like Cooke and burrows on this team, but these are the same people that are cheering for rousell?

Idk could be because of whom signed him that rousell has to be defended

It's amazing to me that for all the talk of character and guys who play the right way and blah blah, the player who showed the most character was Ben Hutton.

I wish we would send Gudbranson to the Marlies so he can play close to home with Sam Gagner. I wouldn't even want him on the Comets. A total pylon of a hockey player and a fake tough guy to boot. Just a joke of a player.

As for the hit, it seems pretty clear to me that first point of contact was the shoulder. Sucks what happened to Stecher but it wasn't head hunting.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
At this point, that’s how he plays the game. It’s not a bad habit etc. That is literally all he is capable of as his hockey IQ is so low.

Maybe he looks better and is more engaged, but the same massive issues that were holding him back years ago, still are.

Those shots from the corner or bad angles piss me right the **** off. Every single time.

I think we just need to accept that that's the player he is. Much like Mason Raymond who was a perfectly good and effective player but constantly maligned because people thought he should be better and didn't like the aesthetics of a lot of his play.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Sorry dude. My wife who grew up in India and never watched was able to pick out who was good and who wasnt.

Rugby is a much more "complex" sport with very specific roles so its not comparable at all.

Hockey isnt all that complex to figure out whos good and who isnt.

Again. Makes 0 sense. You cannot say “rugby is more complex then hockey”. You think Rugby fans know about gap control , weak side locks, umbrella PP, controlled breakouts, overlaps etc? Most “hockey fans” don’t even. So someone who never watches hockey May THINK they can suss out who’s good or bad.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I'm confused that the league won't even look at the hit. There was a clear injury on the play. Martel also took a blind side route into the hit. That was the kind of hit that brought about the whole reform on head shots. The refs also botched the call which usually leans towards supplementary discipline.

Reactions: daddyohsix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad