Post-Game Talk: GAME #37: Canucks vs. Lightning on Guaranteed Loss Night... and they lose 5 - 2 (and lose Stecher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Really loved the compete level tonight. A couple of bounces, especially early on the two-man advantage and it's perhaps a different game.

The team really responded physically too. Impressed with Virtanen, Hutton and Edler. Love how Petterson is involved too, such an assertive player all over the ice. Has the talent and the drive to be as good as anyone, really. Virtanen's steal and assist was beautiful and I'm glad he was rewarded for his effort.

Tampa is a team that's full of veteran talent and playing with an easy precision that comes from being established and playoff hardened. And the Canucks gave them a pretty good fight but they're just not there yet. Tampa is and should be the target that the Canucks are shooting for.

Leivo is not quite a fit on that line with EP and Boeser. Tough to say who would be. Goldobin is too weak out there.

All in all a good game and despite the loss another step forward.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game where some people got exposed and some rose to the occasion.

Good

Virtanen - his play, especially in the first. was outstanding. Even with the speed Tampa has he was forcing the play and making good decisions with the puck. Showed talent, determination (and never thought I would say this) and some leadership in bringing it hard when the game got nasty.

Edler - played over half the game and gave it a real try at the end. Might have been too gassed to convert late chances or move the puck well with the man advantage late in the third, but he was critical to the Canucks being in this game

Tanev - both him and Edler had a ton of work to do in their end and also try to produce some offense. Scored again and generally moved the puck out his end efficiently

Eriksson - is in a stretch where he is skating better and providing some good defensive coverage as well as a decent forecheck. Really at this point all you can hope for is that he checks well and is decent in transition and I think he is presently doing this. Noticed he got rewarded with some PP time.

Roussel - Burrows-like intensity. Played hard nosed in a game that required that. Also he used speed to create some offense. Like him to have more finish but at least he was getting chances for himself and other players.

Bad/Exposed - Common factor was that skating weaknesses became evident

Boeser - had big problems with the Tampa speed. Tampa on him fast forcing him into turnovers and poor passes. Not effective on the PP or 5 on 5

Goldobin - wasn't playing with enough pace or focus when the play sped up. Was too slow in reacting to play around him and ended up chasing play or simply out of the play. When things get as fast as they were in this game he can't get things done quickly enough. Lacks strength and got bounced around.

Levio - ugh. some of the blemishes are starting to show. Again got standing and not reacting to what was going on around him. Looked unprepared to take passes early in the game when the Canucks were 5 on 3 and helped ruin PP chances. Behind the play most of the game. If Baertschi is ready, this player is probably out.

Gudbranson - kudos for going after Martel but clunky skating and slow reactions caused him to get burnt defensively. Now a -15 on the season. Too bad since he was starting to get a little better of late

Ugly

Pouliot - terrible - is del Zotto hurt. If not then he should replace Poo. Poo can't begin to skate well enough to hang in with Tampa. Pouliot would have, and did have, trouble enough in the AHL.

Others

Horvat - good defensively but one of his worst games offensively.

Guadette - Green doesn't have the confidence he can play this company and he is probably correct.

Pettersson - trying to find his way in this game. Got roughed up a bit but hung in there.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Was at the game and have a few thoughts:

• Canucks played pretty well and were a bounce or two away from it being a tied game in the 3rd. Compete level was there but Lightning just a more talented group
  • Roussel was in the face of Kucherov all night, tried to make him drop the gloves but Kuch wouldn't bite. Had a nice jump to his game tonight and went after Martel right after he got out of the box which was nice to see
  • JV was flying all game, had a chance to tie it on a breakaway right when he left the penalty box. The whole Rogers Arena was on its feet and was ready to erupt
  • Bo is a workhorse out there, guy competes and is a warrior in all 3 zones of the ice. Have to imagine he is given the C next year
  • Boeser's skating looked a little off, injury still nagging him perhaps?
  • Gudbranson..... directly responsible for the 2nd or 3rd Tampa goal. He iced the puck needlessly which lead to the Kucherov goal
  • Nilsson made some nice saves but let in a few stinkers... not sure why they didn't ride Markstrom who had the hot hand
  • Eriksson is so so bad. Handled the puck like a grenade all night
  • Stecher hit was ugly.... have to imagine the league will look at it and a suspension will follow. Need to get rid of that sorta stuff. Canucks did go after Martel but still feel like they didn't go after him enough. Miss the days where we had Torres and Bieksa and you knew they would go after whoever injured your guy. Hope Stech is ok
  • TB is a team full of smurfs.... was sitting way up and guys like Johnson, Gourde and Point looked tiny. Victor Hedman on the other hand is an absolute behemoth. Such a smooth skater though
Overall kudos to the Canucks for hanging in with the Lightning for the most part and for standing their ground when the game got nasty.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErrantShepherd

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Virtanen seems to have that McDavid like first few strides that can get him by people. It's only this year that he 's using it effectively. And his decisions with the puck are getting much better. He's progressing at a faster rate this year. His forecheck is startibg to look like Horvats. And he's scoring at 20 goal + rate. Too bad he's not a left winger, otherwise he would be perfect on the Pettersson line.

Do you really feel that way? When he was on Peteys line they couldn't maintain posession at all because if you pass it to JV in the O zone the play is dead.

I don't see much difference. He has all the physical tools but the IQ just isn't there to make use of them.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I only watched a bit of the game cause I’ve been sick, but how the hell can people have such different opinions of Erikssons game lol

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Why the hell did both Goldobin and Hutton manage to find opportunities to take the puck to the net when in the first period Virtanen had a clear path to the front and went behind the net instead.

Watching Virtanen skate down the wing and either take a low percentage shot or go behind the net every single time 1 on 1 is frustrating enough, but this time he actually had a wide open path to the net and still chose not to take it. I like Virtanen, and he's clearly improved and I hope he can continue to do so, but what the f*** man.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Was at the game, got box tickets for free great experience and intensity for two generally softish team.

Tampa Bay is fantastic, clearly the best team in the NHL and should win the cup this year.

Virtanen was fantastic, best player on the ice for the Canucks.

Pettersson had one of the quietest games as a Canucks and struggled a bit defensively, nothing to worry about he’s fantastic.

Roussel was an absolute monster on the ice tonight, fantastic at both ends of the rink and was stirring things up all night long. Loved the intensity, he’s a good player but the term on that contact is the only issue I have.

Gudbranson yikes, was with friends who don’t watch hockey and they singled him out as the worst player on the ice. Terrible, terrible player.

I thought the team played really well tonight and shower clear signs of being better than in previous years.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Was at the game, got box tickets for free great experience and intensity for two generally softish team.

Tampa Bay is fantastic, clearly the best team in the NHL and should win the cup this year.

Pettersson had one of the quietest games as a Canucks and struggled a bit defensively, nothing to worry about he’s fantastic.

Roussel was an absolute monster on the ice tonight, fantastic at both ends of the rink and was stirring things up all night long. Loved the intensity, he’s a good player but the term on that contact is the only issue I have.

Gudbranson yikes, was with friends who don’t watch hockey and they singled him out as the worst player on the ice. Terrible, terrible player.

I thought the team played really well tonight and shower clear signs of being better than in previous years.

RE Gudbransen.

You’re friends don’t watch hockey , but they’re qualified to single out who’s the worst player ?

That’s like saying , “I’ve never seen a root canal, but of all the dentists in the room doing them, this one is the worst”

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Game where some people got exposed and some rose to the occasion.
Edler - played over half the game and gave it a real try at the end. Might have been too gassed to convert late chances or move the puck well with the man advantage late in the third, but he was critical to the Canucks being in this game

Agree with everything except Edler, sure his Dzone game was solid but he is a miss on that 1st unit PP and single handedly killed the PP to start the period with his inability to take a pass, make a pass and keep the puck in the offensive zone. Really think Hutton needs to work with the 1st unit, he's hungrier and can get the pucks to Pettersson and Boeser's sweet spots.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
RE Gudbransen.

You’re friends don’t watch hockey , but they’re qualified to single out who’s the worst player ?

That’s like saying , “I’ve never seen a root canal, but of all the dentists in the room doing them, this one is the worst”
Nah its pretty easy really. I mean I can watch sports I am not familiar with and see whos good and whos bad

Lets not pretend that being a hockey fan = some sort of savantiness.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What an eventful game to be at!

A fun one as well despite the final result - the result being expected.

Great to see us remain in the fight till Nilsson let the 4th goal squeak thru. Coach's comments on the drive home - didn't like it... paraphrase "got within 1 and then you need a save on that"..
Makes ya think Marky plays the next 2 till the break.

Just finished watching parts on PVR... man, TV doesn't do justice to the energy in the crowd... cheered the Roussel fight.. cheered the replay of the fight even more than the original.. Crowd all stood up as Virtanen got the breakaway, stood up again during the Granlund 2on1... they showed Martel's face bleeding after his scrum with 18 and 44 and another bloodthirsty cheer.. and crowd continues to buzz the rest of the period..

Great energy in the building.

Only a fraction of Roussel's shenanigans is depicted during regular coverage... he doesn't stop... a complete agitator between whistles and TV timeouts... it was pretty cool to watch how many different people he got to react to his chirps.. oh, and he had a hell of a game between the whistles as well.

Pettersson... had 2 plays where he flailed his body to get a call.. failed. I hate that ****. He better not let that seep into his game... I was done with all Kesler fandom after his 2012 1st round vs the Kings... don't wanna see any of this crap as part of this kid's game going forward.

Boeser - bad. You could count on a 4-fingered hand the number of good touches of the puck he had. Bobbled everything.

The team came together tonight tho.
Statement game. Loved that. Have to thing they'll be ramping it up all the way to the Panthers game.

Loved Hutton feeding Paquette after tried to feed Boeser..
Virtanen-was a fun watch.
Horvat, Eriksson, Roussel great line..
Gaudette benched when we needed to score.... he's providing nothing offensively right now.
Edler - continues his beastly overall play. Very bad night transitioning the puck on the PP tho. But a beast.

PK continues its complete turn around... from liability to a strength with the return of Beagle and Eriksson back on it... obviously it's a bit more than that like coaching and bit of luck... but a good development.

Also had zero issue with the Cooper-Martel fist bump... ridiculous to think that was inappropriate...

Growth.
This game showed a growth of the kids and team... looking forward to the next one!

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
If Edler can actually hit the net on one of his two very good late chances, that's probably a tie game with 5 min left, and probably goes to overtime. Ah well. He was a stud playing half the game, regardless. Can't ask the world of the poor guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->