Post-Game Talk: GAME #37: Canucks vs. Lightning on Guaranteed Loss Night... and they lose 5 - 2 (and lose Stecher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Team played well. Clearly outclassed talent-wise but competed hard.

Referees completely blew the Stecher hit. Just the most obvious major penalty ever. However, the blown call probably worked in our favour as the team played much better after and the game got a lot more interesting.

- hopefully Stecher is ok. This wasn’t his first concussion.

- not a good night for the Pettersson line. Pettersson was ok, but Boeser had a rough night and Leivo was benched.

- Horvat line excellent again. Roussel very good although he probably escalated the game to result in an injury. Eriksson getting by.

- Virtanen was outstanding. Loved his work on the 1-1 goal, loved that he was the guy to go after Martel.

- Goldobin was better and played himself back up the lineup. Liked how he took the puck to the net late.

- Gaudette getting benched in every close game is frustrating given how responsible he’s been defensively.

- Granlund was better than usual and not a liability.

- Edler and Tanev were huge again, with the usual caveat that Edler sucks on the PP.

- Gudbranson just awful. Remember that point streak? Since that ended, 1 point in 13 games and a -15. Human turnstile tonight. Basically unplayable. Just mistake after mistake after mistake.

- staying on Gudbranson, didn’t do much to ruin the idea he’s a fake tough guy. Only did anything to Martel after Jake had jumped him. Didn’t touch him or anyone else otherwise. Stood around while Hutton went flying in to defend Pettersson and Boeser.

- who knew Hutton could fight like that? Tuned a borderline heavyweight in Paquette. Got caught on the 4-2 goal but otherwise was outstanding cleaning up Gudbranson’s messes.

- Nilsson did a lot of good things but you can’t allow that goal at that point in the game.

- did not like Cooper fist-bumping Martel. Hopefully someone in the media calls him on it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Figured the Bolts would win, but I seriously wonder how they'll do in the playoffs. They don't really play much of a 'heavy game' and seemed to give a Canucks a lot more space and time. I thought the Lightning were lucky they were playing the Canucks and not one of the teams at the top of the Western Conference.

But this was a game where the Canuck blueline got exposed. Figured the speed of the Bolts forward would give them trouble. Thought Pouliot was one of their better defenders, which tells you everything about how the other guys played. Canucks better pray nothing happens to Edler again....now playing close to 30 minutes a night because they really don't have anyone else.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well. So that happened. Far, far closer than the game had any right to be given the disparity in rosters and records. Still, give the Canucks credit. Fought until the last and even showed some tiny hint of a backbone...although against the smurfs in Tampa it's really not saying that much. At least it wasn't boring.

--Pettersson: You can clearly see the games where he loses patience with his linemates and just internally sighs and tries to do it all himself. In terms of star power on this team, there's him, Horvat and then everyone else.

--Boeser: Notice how I didn't mention him just then? Something's still off with him. He's just not skating. Any situation where he's not the shooter and he's just lost. The play died on his stick in the D zone too many times. I really hope it's a lingering injury issue because if it's not...yeah, I don't even want to think about it.

--Horvat: Total horse. I'd love to see what he could do set free from the defensive duties, given good wingers and let off his leash.

--Virtanen: Such a frustrating player. On one hand, he skates like mad, is one of the very few physical forwards, was the first guy to go after Whozit on Tampa after he got out of the box...but then flubs basic plays. Still prone to brain farts like far, far too many players on this team. Once in the 3rd when it was still 3-2, the Canucks were threatening, Virtanen gets the puck, whips around, and...whiffs it into the corner, pretty much the one single thing that could kill the possession. While he has made strides you have to wonder if his brain can ever catch up to his body.

--Roussel: So help me I actually like this guy sometimes. You see why they wanted him for the new Dorsett role but...yeah. I was hearing things about "culture" in 2015 too. I'm still waiting.

--Gudbranson: God I hate this guy. Did he do anything beyond that stupid 3rd man in thing that he was lucky enough to get away with? Don Cherry likes him, well Don Cherry can come and get him. They can hold hands and dance off into the sunset together. Like now.

--Stecher: Was honestly struggling until he got hit. Poor guy. Hope he's okay.

--Goldobin: Yawn. Back into his funk. Wake me up in ten games when he scores and the usual suspects want to remind us all about how great the Hansen trade was.

--Eriksson: He played.

--Granlund: I guess he did too.

--Beagle: Like Granlund but sometimes shoves people.

--*edit* Oh yeah, Motte and Gaudette played too.

--Leivo: Initial energy spurt wearing off. I mean, he's okay. Certainly not the worst guy out there. Decent-ish puck retrieval but much like Baertschi; if he's in your top 6 then your top 6 sucks.

--Edler, Tanev: Five years in, and still Benning has yet to find any dman that can even come close to Gillis' leftovers. Stuff like that is why I just can't get off the tank and just enjoy games like this (although I did enjoy this one).

--Nilsson: Was great...right up until he wasn't. And that was game.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh, and got a chuckle out of Pettersson's new commercial endorsement for Capilano Audi. He talked like an robot under remote control by someone who lost the instruction manual and couldn't figure out how to make his face move.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is a fantasy camp for Martel.

Guy is 25 years old and has how many career NHL games.

Martel is not a goon. He is 5'8" tall and weighs 161 lbs. He has no history of being a dirty player. He has been a 22 goal/40 PTs player in the AHL every one of his 3 years there with Lehigh Valley. His penalty minutes add up to an average of 1 2-minute penalty every 2 games. No matter the events tonight, Martel has always been a hockey player.

In overzealous chance to impress he delivered a hit that was a definite penalty, should have been 5 and a Game. Refs blew this one not the player. Many guys make that kind of bad check every year unintentionally. He has no history of the kind, not a repeat offender, etc. I don't know the guy, but have seen him play and don't think that hit had an ounce of injurious intent. It happens and it just so happens this time it was against a Canuck. A Canuck has and will likely do the same thing this season without it being done intentionally.

Beat me up if you must, but the guy doesn't deserve your ugly vehemence for a malicious endeavor that was not that at all.

Binghamton's Tangradi does deserve the dislike for his hits intentional hits to Sautner's and Dahlen's heads. He hits to hurt. His reputation precedes him. Martel's does not.

Reactions: mossey3535

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... How did you get Boeser?????? Maybe by not being very good and draft a great player????? Kinda easy question to answer if you pay attention on records during a season, trading away top picks for a stud D-man...…….you know, trivial facts like that.

I think you missed the trivial fact that Boeser was drafted 23rd overall, the Canucks own pick in the 1st round of 2015. It had nothing to do with the Canucks not being very good-they were 2nd in the Pacific in 2014-15.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Martel is not a goon. He is 5'8" tall and weighs 161 lbs. He has no history of being a dirty player. He has been a 22 goal/40 PTs player in the AHL every one of his 3 years there with Lehigh Valley. His penalty minutes add up to an average of 1 2-minute penalty every 2 games. No matter the events tonight, Martel has always been a hockey player.

In overzealous chance to impress he delivered a hit that was a definite penalty, should have been 5 and a Game. Refs blew this one not the player. Many guys make that kind of bad check every year unintentionally. He has no history of the kind, not a repeat offender, etc. I don't know the guy, but have seen him play and don't think that hit had an ounce of injurious intent. It happens and it just so happens this time it was against a Canuck. A Canuck has and will likely do the same thing this season without it being done intentionally.

Beat me up if you must, but the guy doesn't deserve your ugly vehemence for a malicious endeavor that was not that at all.

Binghamton's Tangradi does deserve the dislike for his hits intentional hits to Sautner's and Dahlen's heads. He hits to hurt. His reputation precedes him. Martel's does not.

He's still a POS along the lines of Mike "WWE" Matheson.
He deserves nothing less than a stick to the groin.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Team played well. Clearly outclassed talent-wise but competed hard.

Referees completely blew the Stecher hit. Just the most obvious major penalty ever. However, the blown call probably worked in our favour as the team played much better after and the game got a lot more interesting.

- hopefully Stecher is ok. This wasn’t his first concussion.

- not a good night for the Pettersson line. Pettersson was ok, but Boeser had a rough night and Leivo was benched.

- Horvat line excellent again. Roussel very good although he probably escalated the game to result in an injury. Eriksson getting by.

- Virtanen was outstanding. Loved his work on the 1-1 goal, loved that he was the guy to go after Martel.

- Goldobin was better and played himself back up the lineup. Liked how he took the puck to the net late.

- Gaudette getting benched in every close game is frustrating given how responsible he’s been defensively.

- Granlund was better than usual and not a liability.

- Edler and Tanev were huge again, with the usual caveat that Edler sucks on the PP.

- Gudbranson just awful. Remember that point streak? Since that ended, 1 point in 13 games and a -15. Human turnstile tonight. Basically unplayable. Just mistake after mistake after mistake.

- staying on Gudbranson, didn’t do much to ruin the idea he’s a fake tough guy. Only did anything to Martel after Jake had jumped him. Didn’t touch him or anyone else otherwise. Stood around while Hutton went flying in to defend Pettersson and Boeser.

- who knew Hutton could fight like that? Tuned a borderline heavyweight in Paquette. Got caught on the 4-2 goal but otherwise was outstanding cleaning up Gudbranson’s messes.

- Nilsson did a lot of good things but you can’t allow that goal at that point in the game.

- did not like Cooper fist-bumping Martel. Hopefully someone in the media calls him on it.

Great assessment as usual MS, just wanted to comment on the fist pump from Cooper.

Perhaps he was impressed that Martel took more than a few cheap shots from both Virtanen and Gudbranson, stood in there got bloodied up and didn't turtle when it was apparent that he was gonna be targeted before games end?

Was also Martel's 2nd NHL game and he made a beautiful pass on the 2nd goal by Paquette. Maybe more of a fist pump recognizing his overall game up to that point? Who knows, certainly a poor gesture by Cooper, not to mention a cheap hit by Martel but doubt coach really cares as his team won the game.

Just a thought I had on the incident, not something we usually see between players and coaches.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Expected the loss. Way way better team. I’m ok with that. I’m happy with the response tho physically. Come a very long way from earlier in the year. I would like to take some credit for that. I think the fan / media outrage at no pushback from hits in Brock / EP40 earlier has equated to an expectation that we won’t be pushed around. Especially in our own barn.

Good on JV18, and EG44 and even AR26.

Hope Stetcher is ok.... don’t think he’s a great defensman but think he’s a good person and never wanna see a Canuck injured.

An EP40 point and I would have been happy.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hedman came by being one of the worst teams in the NHL before that draft year. McDaddy came with hopefully TWO!!!!!!!! number one draft picks back to the Rangers. Last year the nRags got a numbr one pick, and this year, if the Bolts win the cup, the Rags get the Bolts number one pick this coming draft. How did you get Boeser?????? Maybe by not being very good and draft a great player????? Kinda easy question to answer if you pay attention on records during a season, trading away top picks for a stud D-man...…….you know, trivial facts like that.

this makes no sense.

Last edited:

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
No problem with the effort. They stood toe to toe with Tampa. They score just one pp goal and it’s at least going to overtime imo. A win would have been massive but they were right there with the best team in the league

Reactions: Blue and Green

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Wtf? Over the top BG. It was a cheap shot and canuck fans have a right to be pissed off. We don’t care if he was a clean player in the AHL. It was a bad hit

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks should have been better on the power play. Why is Edler outside the blue line on a 5 on 3? It’s a lot more effective with everyone closer to the net on a 5 on 3 for cross ice/slot/backdoor passes.

Leivo-EP-Boeser:
Line was ineffective and generated nothing. Boeser as talented as he is, is a bad stick handler, line played better with Goldobin on it than Leivo.

Eriksson-Horvat-Virtanen
Line played great, Virtanen and Horvat had tremendous jump and drove possession while Eriksson was responsible defensively.

Beagle/Motte/Roussel battled hard and played well. PK has now killed off 17 in a row; kept the best PP off the scoresheet.
Pretty decent game against the best team in the league. Liked how we went after Martel, that response was warranted, Martel should be suspended, hope Stecher’s OK.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Virtanen seems to have that McDavid like first few strides that can get him by people. It's only this year that he 's using it effectively. And his decisions with the puck are getting much better. He's progressing at a faster rate this year. His forecheck is startibg to look like Horvats. And he's scoring at 20 goal + rate. Too bad he's not a left winger, otherwise he would be perfect on the Pettersson line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad