GDT: Game 36 - Blackhawks @ Avalanche - 7PM - Watch 'Em Like a Hawk

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
By the way, when I said to upgrade Wilson, I didn't mean like this. :( I feel for him in a contract year. Hopefully it's not as bad as it seemed.

I hope that this means that a. the frat boy line gets a decent look b. they don't give Wilson's minutes to the wrong players (e.g. Bourque and Calvert *shudder*) and c. maybe Sakic is more motivated to bring in some second line help sooner rather than later. The offense could certainly use a shot in the arm in the short and long term.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah it's really bad for Wilson on a contract year. However he did make a lot more money than what players like him usually make so while he'll take a huge pay cut on his next contract he should be settled financially for life. Crazy to think that he has made 27M dollars in his career so far.

Still, sucks to get seriously injured just before Christmas.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really sucks for Wilson. They ruled him out quickly and immediately called it week to week so it must be pretty serious. Time for the Jost-Kerfoot-Compher line now.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Bednar's been trying to keep Wilson with the kids (1-2 of Jost / Compher / Kerfoot) at a time, because I think even for him there is something called too much smurfiness...interesting to see what the Avs do. Wilson in of himself isn't a huge loss as a player (really feel badly for him, though...that's rough), but if 5'9 Dries is the replacement....oof. Other teams must have a good chuckle looking at 7 of Compher / Kerfoot / Jost / Bourque/ Nieto / Calvert / Dries coming in on the forcheck. The biggest is Compher...everyone else is under 6 feet. And most of them aren't particularly effective at getting on the defenders and getting the puck. I ragged on Roy a bit for being something of a size queen, but Sakic and Bednar are the goddam midget queens.

It's already been said, but Jost looks so terribly out of place right now after a brief reanimation since being put on the wing. The disturbing part is that there really is no bright sign right now either. It's not like he's showing flashes of potentially being an excellent player and you know there will eventually be something good there once a young player has figured things out. He's handling the puck like an AHL lifer when he gets it on his stick. If they get a centre at some point he deserves a look on their wing, but if that's not soon or they don't make that move I'd rather they actually move him to the AHL at this point and try to rectify the fact that they rushed him, rather than doubling down. If he wasn't the Avs' 10th overall pick he wouldn't be in the NHL right now.

Last edited:

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Bednar's been trying to keep Wilson with the kids (1-2 of Jost / Compher / Kerfoot) at a time, because I think even for him there is something called too much smurfiness...interesting to see what the Avs do. Wilson in of himself isn't a huge loss as a player (really feel badly for him, though...that's rough), but if 5'9 Dries is the replacement....oof. Other teams must have a good chuckle looking at 7 of Compher / Kerfoot / Jost / Bourque/ Nieto / Calvert / Dries coming in on the forcheck. The biggest is Compher...everyone else is under 6 feet. And most of them aren't particularly effective at getting on the defenders and getting the puck.

It's already been said, but Jost looks so terribly out of place right now after a brief reanimation since being put on the wing. The disturbing part is that there really is no bright sign right now either. It's not like he's showing flashes of potentially being an excellent player and you know there will eventually be something good there once a young player has figured things out. He's handling the puck like an AHL lifer when he gets it on his stick. If they get a centre at some point he deserves a look on their wing, but if that's not soon or they don't make that move I'd rather they actually move him to the AHL at this point and try to rectify the fact that they rushed him, rather than doubling down. If he wasn't the Avs' 10th overall pick he wouldn't be in the NHL right now.

It sounds like they need another frat boy.....a large frat boy named Kevin, for example.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar's been trying to keep Wilson with the kids (1-2 of Jost / Compher / Kerfoot) at a time, because I think even for him there is something called too much smurfiness..

Yeah, he wanted Soda on a line and Wilson on the other so they added at least some weight into a bunch of players that get pushed around like high school kids.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Bednar's been trying to keep Wilson with the kids (1-2 of Jost / Compher / Kerfoot) at a time, because I think even for him there is something called too much smurfiness...interesting to see what the Avs do. Wilson in of himself isn't a huge loss as a player (really feel badly for him, though...that's rough), but if 5'9 Dries is the replacement....oof. Other teams must have a good chuckle looking at 7 of Compher / Kerfoot / Jost / Bourque/ Nieto / Calvert / Dries coming in on the forcheck. The biggest is Compher...everyone else is under 6 feet. And most of them aren't particularly effective at getting on the defenders and getting the puck.

We have a guy named Greer whose an in ur face type guy its too bad Jared likes his smurfs.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and arun

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ehhhhhh...so many guys mishandling the puck right now. They possess it, they skate it, but when it comes time to make a play, bad pass or turnover. It's like Blake Comeau never left.

MacKinnon is definitely slumping right now. Good news is that even slumping he's still crazy good. But I think that's one of the biggest reasons why this once-potent power play has suddenly gone dormant.

Also, both he and Girard gotta go skate together with the puck during practice. Unlike him and TB, those two are not at all on the same page.

The good news, except for that turnover and scoring chance against that made me want to put my foot through my basement TV, Lindholm wasn't terrible...for the limited minutes he played.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dater on Jost tonight:

"Tyson Jost has so much skill and speed, but now he’s buried on the fourth line and to me this is a real worry. I worry about him losing his confidence, if he hasn’t already. Now, there’s even more pressure on him to produce, as Colin Wilson will be out “week to week” with a left shoulder injury"

So much skill and speed?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Dater on Jost tonight:

"Tyson Jost has so much skill and speed, but now he’s buried on the fourth line and to me this is a real worry. I worry about him losing his confidence, if he hasn’t already. Now, there’s even more pressure on him to produce, as Colin Wilson will be out “week to week” with a left shoulder injury"

So much skill and speed?

Jost has failed, pretty much as spectacularly as I've ever seen. I know he's 20, but with young players, you'll see signs of potential. He has shown so little this year, and on a team with a revolving bottom 9. My only hope is that he can be a 2w if we get a proper 2c. I know he's young, but he's not even close. Kamenev showed more promise as a center than Jost has.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Dater on Jost tonight:

So much skill and speed?

If it’s not trade related ignore anything out of that mans mouth.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Ehhhhhh...so many guys mishandling the puck right now. They possess it, they skate it, but when it comes time to make a play, bad pass or turnover. It's like Blake Comeau never left.

MacKinnon is definitely slumping right now. Good news is that even slumping he's still crazy good. But I think that's one of the biggest reasons why this once-potent power play has suddenly gone dormant.

Also, both he and Girard gotta go skate together with the puck during practice. Unlike him and TB, those two are not at all on the same page.

The good news, except for that turnover and scoring chance against that made me want to put my foot through my basement TV, Lindholm wasn't terrible...for the limited minutes he played.
I saw Lindholm get walked hard in the first for a mini breakaway and he was just standing around in the second when Grubauer had to make the save from his ass. For 7 minutes that’s some excitement.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yah giving 5 minutes of ice time wont allow for much. He did play well his last call up. We should atleast see what we have in him before getting rid of him. Unless you rather see Dries some more?

I mean, it's a bit disingenous to say he played well while also saying 5 minutes won't allow him to do much.

IMO, Greer only started looking comfortable his last game against Dallas, and the shift he decided to start pressuring and getting himself involved the zebras called a weak penalty against him, which ended his night.

In regards to Jost, he still isn't having the impact we expect but I do think he's being a bit more tenacious on the puck. If he keeps that mindset up he'll improve his game, I think if Mack can help talk him through some things it will go a long way.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean, it's a bit disingenous to say he played well while also saying 5 minutes won't allow him to do much.

IMO, he only started looking comfortable his last game against Dallas, and the shift he decided to start pressuring and getting himself involved the zebras called a weak penalty against him, which ended his night.

In regards to Jost, he still isn't having the impact we expect but I do think he's being a bit more tenacious on the puck. If he keeps that mindset up he'll improve his game, I think if Mack can help talk him through some things it will go a long way.
His last call up being the Dallas game he was much more involved as in more involved then any game hes played prior this season. Took the puck to the net, drove the net, was physical. He played well for the amount of ice he got yes.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
His last call up being the Dallas game he was much more involved as in more involved then any game hes played prior this season. Took the puck to the net, drove the net, was physical. He played well for the amount of ice he got yes.

Ah, thought you were referencing the span of his 2nd call up which was EDM, STL, DAL.

I agree that was his first game he looked involved and decent, just unfortunate he took a penalty.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jost is a 20-year-old in the NHL. 20-year-old prospects aren't necessarily in the NHL yet.

The problem isn't age related. I just dont see how he can become a very good NHLer with the tools that he has. He's a jack-of-all-trades type of player who's undersized and not quick enough to make up for it. He will not develop some random elite skill out of the blue just by getting older.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The problem isn't age related. I just dont see how he can become a very good NHLer with the tools that he has. He's a jack-of-all-trades type of player who's undersized and not quick enough to make up for it. He will not develop some random elite skill out of the blue just by getting older.
Yeah, there's that. But he'll be able to round out his game and find a spot over time I'm sure. If it's not with us, it's somewhere else.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The only injury I'd be concerned with on the Avs is if anyone on the top line got injured. Seriously, other than MacK, Mikko and Landeskog, who has had impact for this team?

No one on defense has really had any big impact, goaltending has been mediocre and the other 3 lines have been pretty meh.

I cant say it enough how impressed I am with the Avs top line, to have this team in 3rd place in central is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad