GDT: Game 35: Red Wings at wild 8:00 pm et 12/27/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
How is that a coaching issue? Isn't that a player leadership issue?

Coaches: here's a winning game plan
Bad player leadership: I'm not so sure, I think we'll just do our own thing instead.
Good player leadership: let's f***ing go get em boys. Anyone slacking is going to get his ass chewed and sit next to the bathroom on the flight back.
I was referring to the things he mentioned as the coaching issue: unforced turnovers, coughing up the puck on the forecheck, and too much time spent in the defensive zone.

But, yeah, you're right, the attitude stuff is definitely a player leadership issue. If they won't buy in, no coach has a chance.

Oh Boy. When I’m looking at January; Things could get really outta hand here.

D7A36B60-CFA0-4B46-8B70-CE5F0B57252F.png

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I get that the team has some better players in name value overall, but, has that actually translated to consistent better hockey, beyond just marginally, over the last 3 seasons?

I think that's what causes so much fsn disappoint...

The end result is the same even if the gameday program is glitzier..

The GM..the man at the top...he owns that or at least he should

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think it is a coaching issue, or lack there of. Got to keep in mind that they have hardly had a regular practice this month. It should get better in January.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think it is a coaching issue, or lack there of. Got to keep in mind that they have hardly had a regular practice this month. It should get better in January.
That’s just an excuse. The systems are all the same or similar around the NHL. Lalonde doesn’t motivate or keep anyone accountable

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Coaching and lack of high end talent. This team is full of the most forgettable players in the NHL, captained by the most milquetoast #1C in the league. Take Seider off the team and there would be no one to inspire hope for the future wearing the winged wheel

Is that just me not being able to see gifs?
Busted on my end too.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Is that just me not being able to see gifs?
Yeah - gifs are not working as intended.

Coaching and lack of high end talent. This team is full of the most forgettable players in the NHL, captained by the most milquetoast #1C in the league. Take Seider off the team and there would be no one to inspire hope for the future wearing the winged wheel

Busted on my end too.
Bedard is already a much more offensively talented player than what Larkin could have ever been...Watching Kane on this team - really goes to show how far down the talent pool we are :(

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

Busted on my end too.
Can I take credit for bringing the term "milquetoast" back into fashion by bringing it up a couple of weeks ago in regards to this team? It fits so perfectly, doesn't it?

When does he flick his finger and Lalonde begins choking?

If nothing changes and January is a f*** fest as well, then you have to at least consider a change. Is he the man for the job? I don’t know anymore. There are some in-game things that I’m growing tired of. In any case, it’d be unacceptable that this team is gonzo from the WC hunt 1 month earlier than last years team.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Can I take credit for bringing the term "milquetoast" back into fashion by bringing it up a couple of weeks ago in regards to this team? It fits so perfectly, doesn't it?
I didn't see it, but it does fit so you get credit for saying it first. The team is a mess and my only hope for Yzerman is that his summer spending spree was on orders from ownership.

At the end of December last year Detroit was 16-12-7 with 39 points in 35 games
This year they are 16-15-4 with 36 points in 35 games.

Think about that, after adding Ghost, ADB, Kane, Holl, Compher and their youngest players last year all being a year older (funny how that works) they are actually marginally worse than they were last year.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I didn't see it, but it does fit so you get credit for saying it first. The team is a mess and my only hope for Yzerman is that his summer spending spree was on orders from ownership.

At the end of December last year Detroit was 16-12-7 with 39 points in 35 games
This year they are 16-15-4 with 36 points in 35 games.

Think about that, after adding Ghost, ADB, Kane, Holl, Compher and their youngest players last year all being a year older (funny how that works) they are actually marginally worse than they were last year.
I feel the roster is certainly better and likely capable of making the playoffs...Coaching on the other hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad