GDT: Game 35: Red Wings at wild 8:00 pm et 12/27/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

Us taking stock of our team right now

5BA7BADF-3BD9-4AA3-A26B-33FF391ACADC.gif

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Where's the team grit? Who sets the tone that we're going to be tough to play against?

Nobody, they don’t have anyone that sets the tone

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They are underperforming at the moment, but we have been seeing the exact same issues every season. Unforced turnovers in their own zone, coughing up the puck from the forecheck, and giving teams extended time in their own zone. The defense is just really bad at defense.
But to me, that's a coaching issue. Those are system problems that a good coach can address.

My personal suspicion is this team has some weird square peg/round hole type issues where the coaching staff wants them to play defensively, but that is just not the player group's game. And after that not working for a while, it's come to a head, where the players aren't really playing the system, and the coaches can't really help. So now it's all on talent every game, with no help from a system. They just score as much as they can and hope it's enough.

Reactions: FMichael

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Didn’t catch this one (probably a good thing).

Fabbri, Compher, Raymond line was -4 and pretty much no other forwards were in the negative ? We’re they that bad ??

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
But to me, that's a coaching issue. Those are system problems that a good coach can address.

My personal suspicion is this team has some weird square peg/round hole type issues where the coaching staff wants them to play defensively, but that is just not the player group's game. And after that not working for a while, it's come to a head, where the players aren't really playing the system, and the coaches can't really help.

I thought Holland was a complete moron during his last five years managing the roster, so I could see him missing something like that. However, I don't think Yzerman would let that go unnoticed.

Fabbri, Compher, Raymond line was -4 and pretty much no other forwards were in the negative ? We’re they that bad ??

Yes.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Welp, that looks like the season boys.

Can’t wait to tank for a pick just for Draper to waste on some guy projected at 35 but has “good hockey iq”.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

Fabbri, Compher, Raymond line was -4 and pretty much no other forwards were in the negative ? Were they that bad ??
Raymond was awful, Fabbri was decent early but then f***ing soft the last half of game, Compher was fine just unfortunate to play with those 2

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
IIRC Chicago can't draft 1OA again due to lottery changes.

They will get 1OA again as soon as possible, though.
They can get it again. You can move up twice in a 5 year period.

I think technically they could get a 3rd if they are the worst team and a team that can't move up to 1 wins the lottery.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

My personal suspicion is this team has some weird square peg/round hole type issues where the coaching staff wants them to play defensively, but that is just not the player group's game. And after that not working for a while, it's come to a head, where the players aren't really playing the system, and the coaches can't really help. So now it's all on talent every game, with no help from a system. They just score as much as they can and hope it's enough.
How is that a coaching issue? Isn't that a player leadership issue?

Coaches: here's a winning game plan
Bad player leadership: I'm not so sure, I think we'll just do our own thing instead.
Good player leadership: let's f***ing go get em boys. Anyone slacking is going to get his ass chewed and sit next to the bathroom on the flight back.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Watching the Jets/Hawks game.

Gotta admire the Jets in that they lose some key players, but manage to fill the holes with quality replacements.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Bad player leadership: I'm not so sure, I think we'll just do our own thing instead.
Good player leadership: let's f***ing go get em boys. Anyone slacking is going to get his ass chewed and sit next to the bathroom on the flight back.
This team needs an 'old school' type behind the bench.

I don't care if he hurts the players feelings...I want them to play a system in which they win games.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

Good coach: players don’t execute the o plan, players ice time is cut

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad