GDT: Game 35: Red Wings at wild 8:00 pm et 12/27/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
It’s unfair that we get to watch this team after all these years of being bad. Barely anything to show for it either with only a few younger guys on the team
The real bitch of it all is that there's a reason why Yzerman signed all these UFAs these past 2 summers...And that's because what we have in GR is likely gonna take a long time to develop and/or they may never be regulars at the NHL level.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
The real bitch of it all is that there's a reason why Yzerman signed all these UFAs these past 2 summers...And that's because what we have in GR is likely gonna take a long time to develop and/or they may never be regulars at the NHL level.
And he keeps letting Draper run the drafts. A while back they "promoted" Draper to a new position, which I thought was Yzerman's way of finding someone better to run amatuer scouting but was shocked (and saddened) to learn Draper would also remain in his current position

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
And he keeps letting Draper run the drafts. A while back they "promoted" Draper to a new position, which I thought was Yzerman's way of finding someone better to run amatuer scouting but was shocked (and saddened) to learn Draper would also remain in his current position
I would assume Draper has Yzerman's 'blessing' on whom they draft?

Then again I believe it was Osgood whom was impressed with Cossa and felt he was the guy to go with...Would be amusing if current USA JR goalie and 2023 Red Wings pick Trey Augustine surpasses Cossa and becomes our #1 in net.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I would assume Draper has Yzerman's 'blessing' on whom they draft?

Then again I believe it was Osgood whom was impressed with Cossa and felt he was the guy to go with...Would be amusing if current USA JR goalie and 2023 Red Wings pick Trey Augustine surpasses Cossa and becomes our #1 in net.
Blessing sure at least with top picks, but Yzerman is putting his trust in draper and the scouts as well. He's not watching these kids as much as they are.

I've heard the Osgood story as well, probably not a good idea to let a guy who's probably never done much, if anything, with scouting or amateur development make 1st round picks for you

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Seider looking neutered. He's been a shell of the Mo Seider I'm used to seeing.
The whole team needs a good, hard kick in the ass. I've been having less fun watching games than the last couple seasons when games were like root canals.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
I think a Coaching change is something Stevie needs to consider if this continues much longer. They literally are repeating the same issues over and over, game by game. It's the definition of insanity. And yet nothing changes. I think there's a lot of talent on this team but there's no structure, no accountability and no coach to make in game adjustments. Again tonight in the 3rd, why didn't lalonde take a timeout to slow things down and get the guys going? He fails to do this ever he just let's games get out of hand. We need a coach with passion who can motivate the players, instill a system that works and demand player accountability.

lgrws91

Jun 14, 2023
When players hit their own teammates multiple times per game, and sometime concuss each other putting them on LTR... maybe its time to start thinking about cutting the coaches and sending them on their way.

Problem is, nobody on the bench can take over. All have to go. How do you hire an entire coaching staff in late December? Has it ever been done?
I'd rather have a scott bowman sitting in Florida from.home coaching this team with a radio mic. Doing both offense and defense. Ain't I ain't joking

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seider looking neutered. He's been a shell of the Mo Seider I'm used to seeing.
The whole team needs a good, hard kick in the ass. I've been having less fun watching games than the last couple seasons when games were like root canals.
What? Despite the losing skid this is easily the most entertaining Wings team in about a decade (maybe since 2014-2015). One of the top scoring teams in the league. Even a loss like this was pretty fun to watch.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
What? Despite the losing skid this is easily the most entertaining Wings team in about a decade (maybe since 2014-2015). One of the top scoring teams in the league. Even a loss like this was pretty fun to watch.
Yea, I should have specified the last few games. Season started well, but even with increased scoring, watching Seider regress like this has been excruciating. At least there was that bright spot of Seider, Raymond and our potential future stars to be excited about the last couple of seasons.
This year, we have scoring and (for those of you who can stomach him) Patrick Kane. Meanwhile, the team's future defensive stud loses his pp time to a rental and is consistently falling to pieces in his own zone.
The current scoring is simply less fun as the shine seems to dim a bit on the future. Its a bleak outlook, but its where I'm at. This rebuild is looking like it may go on for some time.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yea, I should have specified the last few games. Season started well, but even with increased scoring, watching Seider regress like this has been excruciating. At least there was that bright spot of Seider, Raymond and our potential future stars to be excited about the last couple of seasons.
This year, we have scoring and (for those of you who can stomach him) Patrick Kane. Meanwhile, the team's future defensive stud loses his pp time to a rental and is consistently falling to pieces in his own zone.
The current scoring is simply less fun as the shine seems to dim a bit on the future. Its a bleak outlook, but its where I'm at. This rebuild is looking like it may go on for some time.
Seider is also the highest scoring U23 defender in the league. Just for perspective. His defense is a mixed bag this season but we’re still talking about a 22 year old who is getting the opposite of sheltered minutes. Raymond also looks great this year and Veleno, Ras, Berggy, Ed etc. continue to progress. ASP is making history, Cossa is trending the right way, Augustine looks great, Danielson looks good.. plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Seider is also the highest scoring U23 defender in the league. Just for perspective. His defense is a mixed bag this season but we’re still talking about a 22 year old who is getting the opposite of sheltered minutes. Raymond also looks great this year and Veleno, Ras, Berggy, Ed etc. continue to progress. ASP is making history, Cossa is trending the right way, Augustine looks great, Danielson looks good.. plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
You’re being very optimistic and I give you a lot of credit but I don’t see the progress in most of these younger guys that you are. Cossa has been average at best. Veleno looked good for like a week. Rasmussen is barely noticeable. Raymond runs hot and cold.

Hard to speak on the prospects playing in different leagues. Kasper looked like a world beater in his league and now he’s struggling to make an impact for the griffins.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Something I noticed watching this team for pretty much the entire season.

How come our point shots, whether they're 5on5 or on the PP always seem to be blocked by traffic (sometimes resulting in a rush the other way) yet whichever team they play always seem to have seeing eye shots with no traffic in front, which lead to rebounds and scoring chances against?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Raymond has been a complete different playing since Kane has come in. It's weird, it's almost like Raymond new his minutes and ice would be lessened due to Kane coming in, and it's affected his entire game.

I guess the silver lining is; 1) we once again saw the rookie version of Lucas Raymond where he would dominate shifts, and make things happen out of nothing, and 2) if he continues to struggle, the extension number goes down.

Tough to see him play so poorly, I still think he needs to be on PP1 based on his skillset, but right now he's not helping his case.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I hope someone in that dressing room (Dylan?), is calling a player only meeting. This is on the players. It’s the same group that had risen to top five in league standings. There are no reinforcements coming. This is it. We are as healthy as we are going to be. Wake up guys

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Please do tell.

You used +/- to state that Ghost and Chiarot have been scored on just as much.

I'm guessing you know how the stat works. Plus-minus doesn't account for whether a player had anything to do with a play or not yet you're using it to try and equate Chiarot and Ghost's play during the game with Walman and Seider's.

I've also said nothing about the veterans being some "bastion" of defensive play.

As I've said several times now, those veteran defenseman may not be the greatest but they haven't been the leading reason for this tailspin. This whole team is a dumpster fire defensively, including the forwards. Tons of blown coverage. They are not trusting their teammates. They are trying to play goalie in front of their goalie. They're puck watching. In the case of Seider he's making uncharacteristically bad plays by forcing things. Continuing to pinch when he should retreat. Trying a long bomb pass from beside his own net that is easily picked off.

What I'm saying is this isn't a "Chiarot and Petry suck" problem. This is a team problem.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I do appreciate you're optimism. Gives me some positive vibes, especially in regards to Seider.
Now, can you spin me some confidence in this coach?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

The only point I take disagree with is Ras. He progressed last season but since his knee injury this season has been a complete regression. He's still a decent defensive forward but once the puck gets near Ras all offense dies.

In general though thank you for the positive post. After frustrating losses like this it's easy for me to get negative about the team.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
You’re being very optimistic and I give you a lot of credit but I don’t see the progress in most of these younger guys that you are. Cossa has been average at best. Veleno looked good for like a week. Rasmussen is barely noticeable. Raymond runs hot and cold.

Hard to speak on the prospects playing in different leagues. Kasper looked like a world beater in his league and now he’s struggling to make an impact for the griffins.
I can't speak to the prospects but I strongly disagree on Veleno. In the offseason I remember thinking Veleno is what he is and is easily replaceable. Assuming he doesn't show anything, the Wings can let him go.

But he's playing over 3 more minutes TOI than last season, which he deserves. He has 13 points already when his career high was 20 points. He can play on the PP, PK. He's using his speed, winning puck battles. He's taken a major step forward.

He sat last night even after having a few days off so he must be banged up, but overall he's gone from a player with little value to an actual asset.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's like with late career Dan Cleary. Homeboy was a negative possession wise and offensively, but he could still play in the defensive zone.

The veterans should be skewing this team toward low event hockey, so it's really strange that we're not seeing that.
Come now, remember last season when no one wanted low event hockey? Well they finally got their wish and are now bitching and moaning about giving up six goals a game. Some people will just never be happy.

The game was a travesty. We played really well for 40 minutes and folded like a cheap lawn chair in the span of 2 minutes. I honestly have no idea how Bernier is still in the league. I would love to ship his ass to the SPHL at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00