GDT: Game 34: Sharks @ Red Wings 4:30pm NBCSCA Couture out w/ Covid, Vlasic officially scratched

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Fine, his value is still top notch. I still don't think he's been very good this year.

Individually he's still a major headache to get off the puck and he's clearly still a great goal scorer with amazing hands and a great shot. He would have more assists with better linemates and other GMs know that. If Wilson was calling about trading him almost every playoff team would be interested - Boston, Washington, Florida, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, NYR....

Reactions: NiWa

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I'm a fan of Burns, or was in the past, but that clearing attempt right to the slot was hard to believe. There was just such a low amount of effort for most of the game that it seemed like they were trying to lose.

Burns doesn't have much patience with the puck any more. He has a bad habit of whacking his stick at it without a plan. His inability to get clean zone exits is one of the reasons he and Ferraro get caved in.

Reactions: NiWa and Dicdonya

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Burns doesn't have much patience with the puck any more. He has a bad habit of whacking his stick at it without a plan. His inability to get clean zone exits is one of the reasons he and Ferraro get caved in.

I do think it is telling how in the dog days of the season players like Balcers and Dahlen have kind of disappeared.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I do think it is telling how in the dog days of the season players like Balcers and Dahlen have kind of disappeared.

Dahlen has hit a wall with his fitness. The game vs Philly he was visibly tired. Not a surprise really as many guys coming from playing in Europe struggle with it. This is the most intense hockey he's ever played and I'm sure the battles with COVID haven't helped matters either. Balcers is best suited to be a third liner because he does a lot of things well but just can't finish.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I hope he gets traded to Florida. I watch Florida and to watch Hertl and Thornton raise the cup would be great. Besides, it's not Vegas or Tampa so that's a bonus.

Yeah I could get on board with that trade.

Sadly I do not think Fld really has a need for Hertl, or enough of one to outbid other teams.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'm a fan of Burns, or was in the past, but that clearing attempt right to the slot was hard to believe. There was just such a low amount of effort for most of the game that it seemed like they were trying to lose.

That’s literally been Burns’ efforts all season outside of the couple of Covid games earlier in the season. He doesn’t want to skate, is slow to react, and just wants to whack the puck away from him. It’s been my biggest gripe with Burns - he CAN play well but just doesn’t. Karlsson’s poor seasons were slumps and misreads, not a lack of trying. Ferraro has got himself out of position so much this season, but he’s never going to be accused of lack of enthusiasm.

Hedican called out Simek for missing a 5ft pass in his own end when it was clearly in front of Burns to skate onto to start the breakout - Burns literally stood still and watched it go past.

Going into the season it could be argued of the long contracts, Burns may have been able to get value - any scouts from other teams watching him would be warning their team to stay away no matter what the sharks offer to go with him.

Reactions: Karl Prime

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

Some close SNOG attempts for this game, but this ain't horseshoes or hand grenades.

SNOGLossFail.JPG

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 16 vs JetsJargonSharks 4-3
2Oct. 19 at CanadiensnoneSharks 5-0
3Oct. 21 at SenatorsseroesSharks 2-1
4Oct. 22 at Maple LeafsInsigniaSharks 5-3
5Oct. 24 at Bruinsseroes, themelkmanBruins 4-3
6Oct. 26 at PredatorsseroesPredators 3-1
7Oct. 28 vs CanadiensnoneCanadiens 4-0
8Oct. 30 vs JetsnoneSharks 2-1 OT
9Nov. 2 vs SabresnoneSharks 5-3
10Nov. 4 vs BluesnoneBlues 5-3
11Nov. 6 vs DevilsnoneDevils 3-2 SO
12Nov. 9 at FlamesnoneSharks 4-1
13Nov. 11 at JetsKcoyote3Jets 4-1
14Nov. 13 at AvalanchenoneAvalanche 6-2
15Nov. 16 at WildnoneSharks 4-1
16Nov. 18 at BluesnoneBlues 4-1
17Nov. 20 vs CapitalsnoneCapitals 4-0
18Nov. 22 vs HurricanesnoneSharks 2-1 OT
19Nov. 24 vs SenatorsnoneSharks 6-3
20Nov. 26 vs Maple LeafsStewie GriffinMaple Leafs 4-1
21Nov. 28 at BlackhawksMunnyroSharks 2-0
22Nov. 30 at DevilsthemelkmanSharks 5-2
23Dec. 2 at IslandersnoneSharks 2-1 OT
24Dec. 3 at RangersnoneRangers 1-0
25Dec. 5 at Blue JacketsnoneBlue Jackets 6-4
26Dec. 7 vs FlamesthemelkmanSharks 5-3
27Dec. 9 vs WildnoneWild 5-2
28Dec. 11 vs StarsnoneSharks 2-1
29Dec. 14 vs KrakennoneKraken 3-1
30Dec. 16 vs CanucksnoneCanucks 5-2
31Dec. 28 vs CoyotesnoneSharks 8-7 SO
32Dec. 30 vs FlyersMunnyroSharks 3-2 OT
33Jan. 2 at PenguinsnonePenguins 8-5
34Jan. 4 at Red WingsnoneRed Wings 6-2
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank
2021-22 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
T-1.seroes, themelkman3
3.Munnyro2
T-4.Insignia, Jargon, Kcoyote3, Stewie Griffin1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: landshark and Cas

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Burns play reminds me of Thornton when he started declining. Sharks need to trade Burns NOW. Couture is another that time is running out on trading while the player has value.

I will stand on record that trading Hertl and Meier, leaving Couture, Burns, Vlasic, and Karlsson as the vets will only result in sucking in worse for awhile. The later are not the kind of players to build a team around.

However, might as well trade Hertl for a quality 1st and package. I don't think he'll sign before becoming a UFA. Tragic, mismanagement by DW who f***ed things up royally. False king.

Best thing DW can do, besides moving Kane out, is to trade Couture, Burns, and Labanc before TDL. There's two 1st round picks, maybe another one.

Also, bring R. Merkley as he is not a slide candidate. This is total stupidity on the Sharks management.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

I listen to Ted Ramey's post game show the morning after games and he called the 2 short handed goals "staggering". I might go a bit deeper than that and call them devestating. Yeah Randy probably jinxed it with the whole they haven't scored a short handed goal in 100 games, but to get 2 on the same power play (And it was a 5 minute major) ruined the entire game for me. No matter if the Sharks did come back and make it close, giving up that was inexcusable.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns play reminds me of Thornton when he started declining. Sharks need to trade Burns NOW. Couture is another that time is running out on trading while the player has value.

I will stand on record that trading Hertl and Meier, leaving Couture, Burns, Vlasic, and Karlsson as the vets will only result in sucking in worse for awhile. The later are not the kind of players to build a team around.

However, might as well trade Hertl for a quality 1st and package. I don't think he'll sign before becoming a UFA. Tragic, mismanagement by DW who f***ed things up royally. False king.

Best thing DW can do, besides moving Kane out, is to trade Couture, Burns, and Labanc before TDL. There's two 1st round picks, maybe another one.

Also, bring R. Merkley as he is not a slide candidate. This is total stupidity on the Sharks management.

I can't imagine that there's anyone that would want to trade for any of the guys with term during the season. In the offseason I think there's a way to make things happen but not anytime before then. Hertl can be moved. Barabanov can be moved. Cogliano probably can be moved. That's probably it for them before the offseason. As for the vets, I'm not worried about trading those that we need to retain to move until we actually have that talent to build around. Kane may be the exception but then again it's possible his presence pushes others out, I don't know. I don't think Eklund is that guy but I can respect someone's argument for believing he is. Everyone else the Sharks currently has is not that talent either.

If Hertl, Barabanov, and Cogliano can return a 1st plus a prospect, a 3rd, and a 7th then the returns would be meeting my expectations. Hertl's pick may not be a great one but it could land someone like a Mats Lindgren or Elias Salomonsson which would be excellent additions to our prospect pool of defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad