GDT: Game 34: Sharks @ Red Wings 4:30pm NBCSCA Couture out w/ Covid, Vlasic officially scratched

91Fedorov91

Apr 20, 2016
California
I don't know if it's recency bias, but this is one of the worst sharks teams I've watch play. (I wasn't a fan during some of those 90's teams). Of the players who are currently playing there's nothing to look forward to at all.
The way they're playing reminds me of the 10 game losing streak before they acquired Jumbo.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
yeah a 7 million dollar first line forward would be so helpful to this team. if only we could get one somehow...somehow

Imagine if they had Kane and another top 6 right hand shot RW. And Eklund.

(That should be Labanc but he's too poor a skater).

Meier-Couture-Barabanov
Kane-Hertl-???
Eklund-Bonino-Dahlen
Balcers-Cogliano-Labanc

Ferraro-Burns
Middleton-Karlsson
Simek-Merkley

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Imagine if they had Kane and another top 6 right hand shot RW. And Eklund.

(That should be Labanc but he's too poor a skater).

Meier-Couture-Barabanov
Kane-Hertl-???
Eklund-Bonino-Dahlen
Balcers-Cogliano-Labanc

Ferraro-Burns
Middleton-Karlsson
Simek-Merkley
It's a much different team that's for sure

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Love that we are going to miss the playoffs and still not pick top 10

If they were to deal Reimer in the next month they very well could. (Or if Reimer continues to struggle.) They're not winning games with Hill because everyone's caught on how bad his glove is and are only shooting there. If they don't turn this $hit streak around on Thursday we could definitely see Hertl,, Reimer, and Cogliano gone. Maybe Bonino and Barabanov.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I need to vent because I'm so frustrated with this team and where the Sharks are at as an organisation.

This team is being punished for being slow to act, satisfied with the status quo, and shooting themselves in the foot.

The powerplay has been bad for years. The structure in the dzone has been awful for years. Only young skilled players are ever held accountable whilst others have been given a free pass for years (ahem.. Burns). The sharks' development structure has been bad for years - but what has ultimately changed? Nothing.

The Sharks were too slow to fire TMac until it was too late, they were too slow to fire DeBoer - then replace him with one of his staff who had the same philosophies and didn't want to change too much. The play style was past it's use by date, and the solution was to change the name and face, not the philosophy. Not to mention this coach failed at another club. But why focus at the NHL level?

Roy Sommer has been the coach of the Sharks' AHL affiliate for 20 years, and he has held that position despite not winning a thing. I would only need one hand (and probably not all the fingers) to count the amount of players who developed through the AHL team to be a solid contributor to the NHL team. But - nothing's changed. It's one of the biggest reasons I wanted Eklund to return to Sweden if he wasn't playing the Sharks - because he would not become a better player under Sommer in the Cuda.

Fans were told for years that the Sharks suffered in drafting for their moderate success, yet we had to watch as other teams in similar positions were able to turn late first round picks or later rounds into strong/good NHLers, whilst the Sharks had such spectacular prospects like Mirco Mueller, Nikolai Goldobin, Adam Helewka, Noah Rod, Freddie Hamilton. The only change to the scouting team was literally for DW to promote his son. That being said, I'm actually supportive of his changes in philosophy that he has brought it - but the point remains the Sharks stuck with the same scouting team.

The goaltending issues have been around for years and I'm not sure they've ever acted to address this. Jones was held onto for way too long, but given his slightly better play in Philly, I'm pretty confident in saying the goalies development/coaching at this club is horrendous at best. The most recent example is Melnichuk going from a real promising prospect that was performing in the KHL to a pumpkin in the AHL. Stalock, Greiss, etc. have all shown better performances once leaving the club. When Jones wasn't performing, it seemed like he was getting conflicting advice - i.e. he was too deep, he was too aggressive, he needed to be more explosive, he needed to be more reserved. Adin Hill's got similar issues - so what's being done to address them. Nabakov isn't getting results, so why is he being persisted with?

The extended period of relatively good success of this team was built around flexibility. There was a period where the longest deal on the books would have been 5 years, and whilst I note players expectations and demands changed - they cuffed themselves with 5-6 long term deals with big money and no move clauses as well. Why was there this change from a flexible approach? Was it DW's desperation for success that he over committed to these deals? If it was, why is he still in charge when it clearly didn't work?

The club needs a complete overhaul from top-down. There is literally no point in commencing a rebuild when the same old structures will result in the same old outcomes. Hoard draft picks and prospects, but are they going to develop with the Sharks systems? Probably not. Even from a business perspective - the TV deal continues to be awful, so crowds are going to be even more important - yet what's being done to actually encourage fans back into the building? They are going to be watching an awful product, so what incentives are there? All the work done to the lighting and ice, and it's still bad. At what point does Hasso look at the financials and say "enough is enough"?

/vent

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I need to vent because I'm so frustrated with this team and where the Sharks are at as an organisation.

This team is being punished for being slow to act, satisfied with the status quo, and shooting themselves in the foot.

The powerplay has been bad for years. The structure in the dzone has been awful for years. Only young skilled players are ever held accountable whilst others have been given a free pass for years (ahem.. Burns). The sharks' development structure has been bad for years - but what has ultimately changed? Nothing.

The Sharks were too slow to fire TMac until it was too late, they were too slow to fire DeBoer - then replace him with one of his staff who had the same philosophies and didn't want to change too much. The play style was past it's use by date, and the solution was to change the name and face, not the philosophy. Not to mention this coach failed at another club. But why focus at the NHL level?

Roy Sommer has been the coach of the Sharks' AHL affiliate for 20 years, and he has held that position despite not winning a thing. I would only need one hand (and probably not all the fingers) to count the amount of players who developed through the AHL team to be a solid contributor to the NHL team. But - nothing's changed. It's one of the biggest reasons I wanted Eklund to return to Sweden if he wasn't playing the Sharks - because he would not become a better player under Sommer in the Cuda.

Fans were told for years that the Sharks suffered in drafting for their moderate success, yet we had to watch as other teams in similar positions were able to turn late first round picks or later rounds into strong/good NHLers, whilst the Sharks had such spectacular prospects like Mirco Mueller, Nikolai Goldobin, Adam Helewka, Noah Rod, Freddie Hamilton. The only change to the scouting team was literally for DW to promote his son. That being said, I'm actually supportive of his changes in philosophy that he has brought it - but the point remains the Sharks stuck with the same scouting team.

The goaltending issues have been around for years and I'm not sure they've ever acted to address this. Jones was held onto for way too long, but given his slightly better play in Philly, I'm pretty confident in saying the goalies development/coaching at this club is horrendous at best. The most recent example is Melnichuk going from a real promising prospect that was performing in the KHL to a pumpkin in the AHL. Stalock, Greiss, etc. have all shown better performances once leaving the club. When Jones wasn't performing, it seemed like he was getting conflicting advice - i.e. he was too deep, he was too aggressive, he needed to be more explosive, he needed to be more reserved. Adin Hill's got similar issues - so what's being done to address them. Nabakov isn't getting results, so why is he being persisted with?

The extended period of relatively good success of this team was built around flexibility. There was a period where the longest deal on the books would have been 5 years, and whilst I note players expectations and demands changed - they cuffed themselves with 5-6 long term deals with big money and no move clauses as well. Why was there this change from a flexible approach? Was it DW's desperation for success that he over committed to these deals? If it was, why is he still in charge when it clearly didn't work?

The club needs a complete overhaul from top-down. There is literally no point in commencing a rebuild when the same old structures will result in the same old outcomes. Hoard draft picks and prospects, but are they going to develop with the Sharks systems? Probably not. Even from a business perspective - the TV deal continues to be awful, so crowds are going to be even more important - yet what's being done to actually encourage fans back into the building? They are going to be watching an awful product, so what incentives are there? All the work done to the lighting and ice, and it's still bad. At what point does Hasso look at the financials and say "enough is enough"?

/vent
Sums it up pretty well, honestly.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
To be honest, what we need to for our glorious leader Dougie Wilson to come back. It would definitely spark the team. Come on, Joe Will? Will what?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

/vent

I’d say and maybe other red wings fans might disagree, but the last few seasons with Holland as GM suffered some of these same things before Stevie was hired

Reactions: Chinaski89

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I’d say and maybe other red wings fans might disagree, but the last few seasons with Holland as GM suffered some of these same things before Stevie was hired

Thank you for comforting us, Red Wings fan.
giphy.gif

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Too bad Wilson is also gone right now.

He may be on a leave of absence but I’m betting he’d still have a say in a Hertl deal even if he’s not the one leading the negotiations.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
He's definitely not helping the team or his value

Hertl's value is not in any way hurt by this, or his season so far.

Outside of injury, Hertl's value is not going anywhere. He is leading the team in goals, with 16 and only 3 on the PP, with his top 3 linemates being Balcers, Barbanov or Gregor....He is on 62 pt pace with those primary linemates as well.

Any team that would have wanted Hertl already, is not being dissuaded from trading for him because he was embarrassed after an embarrassing loss.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hertl's value is not in any way hurt by this, or his season so far.

Outside of injury, Hertl's value is not going anywhere. He is leading the team in goals, with 16 and only 3 on the PP, with his top 3 linemates being Balcers, Barbanov or Gregor....He is on 62 pt pace with those primary linemates as well.

Any team that would have wanted Hertl already, is not being dissuaded from trading for him because he was embarrassed after an embarrassing loss.
Fine, his value is still top notch. I still don't think he's been very good this year.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When it gets this bad, someone has to be held accountable. There’s plenty of it to go around but if players don’t tighten things up when they know they need to tighten things up, what good is the coach?

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I'm a fan of Burns, or was in the past, but that clearing attempt right to the slot was hard to believe. There was just such a low amount of effort for most of the game that it seemed like they were trying to lose.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
The state of affairs definitely seems sad. I'll always be a fan but they're not making it much of a fun time right now and by the looks of it, it won't change for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad