Post-Game Talk: GAME 33 THE BEAR is doing a Sabredance

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The traded that I hate(d) the most was the Lindgren/Nash one.
Absolutely terrible.
At the time I wanted McDonough but I never thought that Tampa would come away with the best defenseman and forward from the Rangers. Gordan would also eventually turned the Nash deal into two top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Boom!!!!

Yup - thought same of Dave.

Bourque was unbelievable- there is no defenseman today close to Bourque

Fred was hilarious complaining about how soft the Rangers were

If @Sheppy or @Fenian24 watched this they would be ordering a portrait of Fred Cuisik for the living room (actually Fenian I’m sure saw it in real time)

Kluzak was pretty good and Jay Miller actually looked good

Courtnall wasn’t playing but he was a stud

Courtnall - Linseman- Neely
Burridge - Kasper - Crowder
Carter - Sweeney - Middleton
Miller - O’Dwyer - Byers/Plett

Bourque - Kluzak
Wesley - Larson
Thelven

Renford

Harry should have not traded Courtnall

This was a heck of a team

Bourque & Neely were at peak & the Bruins could kick the crap out of teams

I’m weeping as I type this

That was the team that added Janney and Joyce for the playoffs.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
At the time I wanted McDonough but I never thought that Tampa would come away with the best defenseman and forward from the Rangers. Gordan would also eventually turned the Nash deal into two top 4 defenseman.
Jeff Gorton has done a great job for the most part everywhere he's gone. I know that Dan (DKH) will come up with some crap moves that he's made but IMO his work here in facilitating the Chara and Savard moves as he (Gorton) was moving on were masterful moves. We'll see what he does with Montreal.

Reactions: TCB

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
But the Bruins did manage to unload Beleskey and Spooner in the deal.
Yeah, well losing Lindgren in that deal was a killer for me. If that deal was for McDonough, even with an addition IMO it would've been a great deal. I liked Nash, if it were the player that he was 5 (even 2) years prior than it would've made sense IMO. I hated it then, I still hate it now. Anyway....:deadhorse

Reactions: SonnyBoy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
100%. Was going to say is there a D man in the last decade as good as Bourque? Because there isn't currently.

Chemistry was so good too. When Middleton scored on that aerial pass, O'Reilly came over and was patting him on the head and shoulder, so appreciative of the effort, Middleton was focused and calm, there was just a vibe about the B's teams of that era.

That the 87-92 teams didn't win cups was largely due to the Oilers and the Pens, both boasting massively talented top players.

I was out of college, working, no kids until 1992, so had all the time avail to watch those teams, miss that.
Harry traded Courtnall because he like Neely was from B.C. and was his running mate and he was worried - but dumb because Courtnall had 32 goals in 60-something games when traded and the Courtnall-Linseman-Neely line was crushing it. They had big time chemistry

They had the skill in 87-88 to win if no Edmonton

Kluzak was near end and playing on one leg - he stayed healthy he was showing by 84 he was going to be a beast

Lots of bad luck for Bruins in 1980’s

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jeff Gorton has done a great job for the most part everywhere he's gone. I know that Dan (DKH) will come up with some crap moves that he's made but IMO his work here in facilitating the Chara and Savard moves as he (Gorton) was moving on were masterful moves. We'll see what he does with Montreal.
lol

I get my stuff from Main Board where Canadiens fans are crushing him

This is taken from Main Board a few days ago we (bunch of former HF guys) we were discussing on our text group.

Since I come up with crap moves I’ll share what a got from someone else crap moves

Jeff Gorton Top 10 picks:

JURAJ SLAFKOVSKY
ALEXIS LAFRENIÈRE
KAAPO KAKKO
DAVID REINBACHER
LIAS ANDERSSON
VITALI KRAVTSOV

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Also Jeff Gorton got fired after one year with Chiarelli along with Daniel Dore

You are way overestimating his involvement in this. I 100 % know but you can believe wherever you want.

In the end if Sweeney was replaced I’d love Jeff Gorton - he’s bright, great hockey guy - sense of humor, personable - he’s not a god like I been reading

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Boom!!!!

If @Sheppy or @Fenian24 watched this they would be ordering a portrait of Fred Cuisik for the living room (actually Fenian I’m sure saw it in real time)

Bourque - Kluzak
Wesley - Larson
Thelven

Renford

Loved that team. While injured for a good part of the season Nevin Markwart was also still around. Calls up in 87-88 from Maine included Bruce Shoebottom, Mike Steven's and Alan May.

I miss real hockey soooooooo much.

The Courtnall and Ranford for Moog trade was awful. I get wanting a younger, better goalie behind Lemelin but that was a classic Harry and Sather fishing trip deal

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Don't know if this got posted yet, but today's practice

Zacha-Geekie-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-DeBrusk
Van Riemsdyk-Merkulov-Frederic
Lauko-Beecher-Heinen
Steen

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Shattenkirk
Gryz-Mitchell

PP1: McAvoy, Pastrnak, Marchand, Zacha, Geekie
PP2: Lindholm, DeBrusk, Merkulov, Coyle, van Riemsdyk

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Loved that team. While injured for a good part of the season Nevin Markwart was also still around. Calls up in 87-88 from Maine included Bruce Shoebottom, Mike Steven's and Alan May.

The Courtnall and Ranford for Moog trade was awful. I get wanting a younger, better goalie behind Lemelin but that was a classic Harry and Sather fishing trip deal
Yup

They were sitting with a really strong balanced team and then that trade happens

I’m still upset lol

Loved Markwart

That was a tough team

Why he traded Courtnall & Raycroft just crazy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Zacha-Geekie-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-DeBrusk
Lauko-Beecher-Heinen
Steen

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Shattenkirk
Gryz-Mitchell

I like having him with an elder statesman (JVR) and our best fighter (Trent). Good to ease him in and then perhaps he progresses from there

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
That was a tough team

Loved the ‘87-88 team! Tough, could score goals, Bourque was awesome, Neely starting to come into his own…..the call ups and Olympians that joined later worked out and O’Reilly had them working hard win or loss.

For Courtnall I thought he held out at training camp or got into a contract squabble with Harry……? I know Moog had issues with Sather and his contract. Played for Canada at the Olympics that year. Back then they just traded you if you caused an issue most times. We gave the Oilers the ‘90 Cup with Randford and Courtnall. Oh man…..

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yup

They were sitting with a really strong balanced team and then that trade happens

I’m still upset lol

Loved Markwart

That was a tough team

And then they went to the finals that season. And again 2 years later.

Courtnall gots his ring, going 0-3-3 in 19 playoff games for the Oilers. Edmonton got Greg Adams for him in the off season. He really took off with Washington.

Didn't like the trade because I really liked Ranford.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Loved the ‘87-88 team! Tough, could score goals, Bourque was awesome, Neely starting to come into his own…..the call ups and Olympians that joined later worked out and O’Reilly had them working hard win or loss.

For Courtnall I thought he held out at training camp or got into a contract squabble with Harry……? I know Moog had issues with Sather and his contract. Played for Canada at the Olympics that year. Back then they just traded you if you caused an issue most times. We gave the Oilers the ‘90 Cup with Randford and Courtnall. Oh man…..

Courtnall wasn't on that team.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023

But we did get a Hab killer in a side deal from Sather , Alan May for Moe Lemay

From Hockey Journal.com
April 20, 1988-The Bruins pulled out a big 4-3 win on the road to even the series, and what do you know? Lemay scored a key goal in that game to help the Bruins get out of Montreal with a victory. He hammered a slapper coming in off the wing- a smoke show and most people don’t even remember No. 36 blasting it in. Wish we had the video to show you, but we do have an ugly clip (recorded on an old VHS no doubt) of his scrap with Mike Lalor from the same game. We don’t have video of the goal or assist, but this is the fight portion of Lemay’s Gordie Howe Hat Trick in that game. There would not be another Bruins player to post a playoff Gordie for another 23 years (Nathan Horton)…Neely and Milan Lucic never had one as a member of the B’s. Gritty, grimy…check.

He scored again during the series and for a brief moment, got some attention in the Hub. Our favorite story was in a Globe piece about Lemay, who was living in a Boston hotel, called in to a local pizza joint to order up some dinner. When asked for his name, he gave it and the employee asked him if he was related to the guy on the Bruins. “I am the guy on the Bruins,” was Lemay’s response, and needless to say, the pie and a few other things were delivered to him…on the house.
1703893421649.png

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Some brutal drafting on all those lottery picks in NY.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

Zacha-Geekie-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-DeBrusk
Lauko-Beecher-Heinen
Steen

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Shattenkirk
Gryz-Mitchell

at least it looks like theyve moved on from gryz

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Great Ranford quote when he was traded back to the Bruins in the mid 90s.
He said that the Bruins told him in the 80s that he was their goalie of the future, but he just never thought that meant a decade later after being traded back.
At the time, before that trade was , the big rumor (I believe from KPD) the Bruins were going to get KuJo. "A done deal" it was said.
Except, one of my clients was Upton Bell who had an in with Sinden. He told me that it was going to be Ranford coming back.
My friends all chuckled at me, until it happened and then they "shot the messenger." They were mad at me for letting them know the truth a couple days before.
Human nature, go figya.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Jeff Gorten was meant to be a Bruin GM. So he goes and ruins our competitors picks and trades. Good on him. He's a Bruin in spirit like Monty is short for Montreal!

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Boom!!!!

Bourque - Kluzak
Wesley - Larson
Thelven

Renford

Tom McCarthy. Not in the lineup for the Rangers game or most of regular season but still a decent contributor in 87-88 playoffs along with Lemay. Adding Moog to Reggie was huge but losing Courtnall and Ranford was a killer for that era. I love the 87-88 Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad