Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
0AsH1kB.jpg
f*** we're lucky

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Noticed EJ's was fourth amongst D in even strength minutes tonight which was rather telling. He's fighting it, and if this is the new him then the Avs need a replacement for the top pair.
EJ has looked like he's forgot about 60% of his tools for a while now. I'm hoping its just a slow start and not the beginning of the downswing.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
EJ has looked like he's forgot about 60% of his tools for a while now. I'm hoping its just a slow start and not the beginning of the downswing.
We 30 games or so in. Aint no more slow start b. Hes regressing and its obvious when you watch him. It really sucks to be honest. Guys been solid for us for so long.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
One thing before I go to bed. That first Landy goal on the PP. I dont understand why we cant attack the box like that on the PP from both sides of the rink. Granted the Stars defender really should have fronted the shot instead of collapsing to towards the net but thats the kind of 'simple' thing I like seeing on the PP. All passing lanes were closed so Landy didnt try to make a low percentage pass nor did he want to go back to Barrie. He shot it. Not every goal needs to be a HON candidate. Keep it simple and take your shot when you can and dig for rebounds.

Reactions: AvsWraith

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah I also think EJ is regressing. In today's NHL it seems like most guys regress after the age of 30. It has really became a young kids game who can skate

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
One of the reason the first line is better than ever isn't just because of the obvious skill but also because they are playing with so much pace and determination without the puck. When Rantanen and Landeskog go in on the forecheck after dumping the puck in, they get to the puck first so often even when the defenders have a step on them. It just seems to have clicked for them how to play smart heavy hockey.

Also:

e1dXCLq.gif

A lot of players would have flubbed that shot since the pass was very hard.
e1dXCLq.gifv

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
First Dallas goal was kind of soft by Varlamov, but that whole sequence began when MacK did dumb decision going after the puck and letting Dallas get 2 on 1 odd man rush. You would think that after letting Blues score game winning breakaway goal againt our first PP unit last game everyone would try minimize that kind of mistakes but I guess not.

Those who are interested in our goalie situation I suggest checking these sites constantly:

Goalie Stats - Corsica Hockey
2018-19 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
IcyData » Goalie Stats for 2018-2019 Regular Season

There you can check all kind of stats about goaltending and don't have to rely on just your eye test.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We 30 games or so in. Aint no more slow start b. Hes regressing and its obvious when you watch him. It really sucks to be honest. Guys been solid for us for so long.

Exactly. With his track record, he's more likely to get injured, than he is to improve his play.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The fractured patella may be what has finally altered EJ. It is likely this is just him now. It’s not like we have seen him play at a level close to what he was pre-season ending injury last year. I just don’t think he trusts his skating anymore. He is no longer an oversized physical freak.

Reactions: shadow1

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I agree with that actually. If JT got a minute in the black room, he should of also. But I also think Girard was our best D against STL too. Hes not been a game changer, but hes also three years younger than anyone else on our roster right now. Its extremely impressive considering how guys like EJ and Cole have played in their roles lately. Girard hasn't had an easy job especially at his age and his experience.

I'm just saying I don't think Girard has hurt us in these losses, and even been a positive overall whent he majority of the D are getting completely caved in.

I agree with this, although I would not use him in overtime periods YET

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
For those who watched Jost in college is this how he played? I really don’t understand all of the Parise comparisons, Parise’s most defining quality is his tenacity and fearlessness. Jost to me is in Elliot territory of being visibly scared of contact, especially behind the oppositions net on the forecheck. He constantly disrupts our cycle game by losing puck battles, he probably has the worst win/loss ratio on the team when it comes to 1V1 puck battles in the corners. To me Parise is a very far off comparison.

As for this game I thought the Stars were fortunate to be tied so late, the Avs to me definitely wanted it more. Faksa is a great player but he displayed a very low IQ last night, the way he was playing defence was clearly illegal and he was unable to change his style even after it became evident that the Refs were not having it. I thought he was fortunate he didn’t get even more penalties, he might have cost the Stars a point.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
One thing before I go to bed. That first Landy goal on the PP. I dont understand why we cant attack the box like that on the PP from both sides of the rink. Granted the Stars defender really should have fronted the shot instead of collapsing to towards the net but thats the kind of 'simple' thing I like seeing on the PP. All passing lanes were closed so Landy didnt try to make a low percentage pass nor did he want to go back to Barrie. He shot it. Not every goal needs to be a HON candidate. Keep it simple and take your shot when you can and dig for rebounds.

If they did that more it opens up the cross ice pass or draws the top forward down lower so they can pass it up top to Barrie who can break his stick or fire it at some shinpads. :D

I know Landy is on fire now but 90 percent of the time that goes over the net off the glass and out of the zone. Or straight at the goalie's crest and we complain that he's a third liner and should leave the shooting to MacK.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Hopefully getting a win under his belt will help to rebuild some of Varlamov's confidence.

He was shaky as heck tonight. Pucks were popping out of his glove; he was constantly checking behind him to see if the puck squeaked through; and every time Dallas scored, he looked either defeated or frustrated.

Right now this team can't buy a big save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad