GDT: Game 33: Avs vs Stars - 7PM MT - The Island of Misfit Toys

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A win. Fine. Anyways

1. Mikko had a great game on both sides of the puck. A few never quit plays from him tonight to thwart great chances for the stars. That boy is getting paid and I almost dont care how much.

2. Yah I have next to no confidence in Semyon at the moment. This game changed when he let in that soft goal from Lindell. The Stars were dead in the water all game until they realized Semyon could be got. I would like to see some more Grubauer going forward in all honesty.

3. The PP went to work tonight but I still think it lacks that killer instinct it had earlier in the season. Credit the Stars some as they applied the full court press on the Avs. Without the bump back play it kinda looked like everyone was confused as to what to do. Better have a plan B for next game because alot of teams might start deploying that tactic. Comeau was shadowing Mackinnon on the entry.

4. JTC is a gamer. This kid is a bulldog. I love how he plays in the dirty areas. I really hope hes ok from that hit. I know he returned but you just never know. I do know that if Z did that to Seguin or something that it would have likely resulted in a penalty.

5. Erik Johnson was terrible tonight. Looked like he was on his last leg and then he comes up with a huge play that leads to the GWG. Kinda looked like that puck was going 5 feet wide before Landeskog tipped it.

6. Landeskog was simply amazing. One of those follow the leader games as he came up clutch once again when we needed a goal.

7. If this team never gets a 3 goal lead to start a game again I would be happy. Seems they have no idea what to do once they get a lead that large. They did everything they could to let the Stars back in the game.

8. Calvert had a solid game. I dont get to say it often but I thought he was very good tonight. Stayed in his lane and played his game.

9. Need Jost to create more. Yah yah not a line driver whatever but hes on a scoring line. He needs to start getting into the dirty areas that JTC goes to to score goals. He needs to start moving his feet again. Didnt like Ghetto tonight either. The only guy I could stomach on that line really was the red head.

10. I liked Greers game tonight. Took the puck to the net hard and drove the net. That interference goal that called back happens but I would want Greer driving that net again. He does look faster this season so thats good.

I thought Calvert played the most like what I've seen in the last years watching CBJ than he has all season. He wasn't over handling the puck, kept it simple, and used his speed and tenacity to push the play towards the net.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
It didn't feel like that though. Also score effects is a real thing.

You're right about score effects; the game looks much more even when score-adjusted:

EsCIm9t.png

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jared Bednar: "I don't know what goalie interference is anymore"

The first one was a little suspect because Greer may have been shoved but I think the second one was the correct call. I agree with him though as there have been other questionable calls that have gone against the Avs this season.

Reactions: StayPuft39

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, uh.. Root cause is BS because there was a goalie in the net.
Well he managed to take out the goalie too ;)

Anyways, that got a little ugly but you take the win with how the last week or so has gone. I don’t understand why Girard wasn’t removed from the game for a little bit. He looked foggy for a bit after that hit.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well he managed to take out the goalie too ;)

Anyways, that got a little ugly but you take the win with how the last week or so has gone. I don’t understand why Girard wasn’t removed from the game for a little bit. He looked foggy for a bit after that hit.

I agree with that actually. If JT got a minute in the black room, he should of also. But I also think Girard was our best D against STL too. Hes not been a game changer, but hes also three years younger than anyone else on our roster right now. Its extremely impressive considering how guys like EJ and Cole have played in their roles lately. Girard hasn't had an easy job especially at his age and his experience.

I'm just saying I don't think Girard has hurt us in these losses, and even been a positive overall whent he majority of the D are getting completely caved in.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I really think this is a game they should have won by more of a margin. Dallas was never really dangerous for any stretch. The goals were fluke bs. I especially liked the way we avoided the penalty box tonight.

Like I said they out played their bad luck, and they've had a lot of it lately.

Reactions: hooverdam

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I really think this is a game they should have won by more of a margin. Dallas was never really dangerous for any stretch. The goals were fluke bs. I especially liked the way we avoided the penalty box tonight.

Like I said they out played their bad luck, and they've had a lot of it lately.

They kind of scored 8 goals, when you think about it. The scoring is working. Honestly even the shot suppression has been fine during this stretch, which is why I'm not too worried about the defense. I would rather it be stupid, random defensive breakdowns leading to goals against instead of just getting hammered with shots every night until goals against are inevitable.

I would like to see how Grubauer does with a good, long look at home. They're playing well enough with a favorable enough schedule to really put some wins together here, as long as they get the goaltending.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They kind of scored 8 goals, when you think about it. The scoring is working. Honestly even the shot suppression has been fine during this stretch, which is why I'm not too worried about the defense. I would rather it be stupid, random defensive breakdowns leading to goals against instead of just getting hammered with shots every night until goals against are inevitable.

I would like to see how Grubauer does with a good, long look at home. They're playing well enough with a favorable enough schedule to really put some wins together here, as long as they get the goaltending.

Our goalies have really failed to make that extra save at the right time lately. Yeah you can say they were difficult saves sometimes, but these guys have to make that extra save and limit the back breakers at bad times. These are NHL goalies.

We absolutely outplayed it tonight though. I thought Varly was really good tonight actually except maybe two shots which were goals against. I really think the team played a solid game overall from start to finish. They didn't get too up or down, and continued to play inside the system. The lack of odd man rushes really showed that. The forwards were also back checking 100% all night. I really did like their game tonight.

I really do feel like the nights we see the opposing forwards getting behind our D on the regular are signs of the team pushing, and playing fancy risky hockey with bad turnovers. That was not the case tonight.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The Avs need a top pairing. I know people love Girard, but he's not suited to the role right now, and it's not ideal for either him or the team to ask him to play it. He's a 20 year old still making rookie mistakes. See the second goal -- no idea what he was thinking there. He got focused on the crease rather than the guy cutting straight through the low slot and then fell down on Varly with his back to the guy shooting it into the net. He's also inhibited by his size and poor reach, and the opposition know it. They put a specially intense focus on him on the forecheck. Only so many spins and elusiveness can keep Girard out of trouble. Girard shouldn't have to be the even strength minute leader on the Avs.

Noticed EJ's was fourth amongst D in even strength minutes tonight which was rather telling. He's fighting it, and if this is the new him then the Avs need a replacement for the top pair. They are really missing a pair that can go out there and put up 16-18 even strength minutes in a game and play them predictably and consistently. It's like a guessing game of who's going to screw up more on any given night since there is no pairing to go out there and reliably handle those minutes.

In shot attempts our lower lines got absolutely slaughtered tonight. Jost, Wilson, Ghetto, Greer, and Bourque all under 30% CF at even strength, which is never pretty when it's that extreme.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->