GDT: Game 33: Avs vs Stars - 7PM MT - The Island of Misfit Toys

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Had a wedding last night, so I didn’t get to see the game. Checked the score, & couldn’t comprehend if the Avs were actually winning, or I was drunk...

7568aaf101aca79d793f5dec7892ab97.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jared Bednar: "I don't know what goalie interference is anymore"
Not sure I agree with him though, I know it sucks since we're the team who's had the most overturn goals in the league. However, the first one was goaler interference as Greer pushed/cross-checked the Stars player into Khudobin. The second one was tricky, but Soderberg kept backing himself into Khudobin to the point that Yeti's left skate just did not allow Anton the ability to make a save. Backing yourself into the goaler and then scoring is way different compared to either getting pushed from an opposing player into the goaler or scoring and then running into the goaler.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not sure I agree with him though, I know it sucks since we're the team who's had the most overturn goals in the league. However, the first one was goaler interference as Greer pushed/cross-checked the Stars player into Khudobin. The second one was tricky, but Soderberg kept backing himself into Khudobin to the point that Yeti's left skate just did not allow Anton the ability to make a save. Backing yourself into the goaler and then scoring is way different compared to either getting pushed from an opposing player into the goaler or scoring and then running into the goaler.

Actually I felt the opposite on those calls. Greer was pushed in by the guy behind him as well. With that said it was weird Khudobin made zero effort to hold his ground. That felt like either intentionally gambling that there is a higher chance of interference called, or just a pretty weak battle level. Soda backed up with pretty much zero resistance as if he wasn't there. Oh, but now that the puck is in the net he wants that ice back?

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Dries recalled and Greer sent down?
Man Coach is pissing me off. How could he possibly think that Dries is a legitimate option. At least with Greer there is talant and the ability to grow where with Dries I think we have seen about all we are gonna get out of him. Just my opinion and I'm sure Coach will forget more about hockey then I'll ever know but what the heck is he thinking?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Not a consequential move really. I'm more worried about how EJ and the goalies are handled.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I think it's more of a positional decision, they want someone up that can play center. I'd love Greer to get a real shot as well but playing nonsense minutes with Wilson as his center isnt doing any good for him. Give him top minutes in loveland over that imo.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dries recalled and Greer sent down?

It's on the AHL transactions page so it looks like it. Alt also sent down so maybe Barberio is healthy.

The Greer-Wilson-Bourque line has been getting buried in the defensive zone the last two games and have been almost unplayable. They need an actual center for that line so that's where Dries makes sense. Ideally, Greer would stay and Bourque would sit but we know Bednar trusts Bourque, especially on the PK.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Dries is the most random, useless player experiment I've seen a team undertake in a while. It's like keeping a potato in a shoebox for a few months just to see what grows on it. I don't get it.

Reactions: Tommy G and McMetal

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's on the AHL transactions page so it looks like it. Alt also sent down so maybe Barberio is healthy.

The Greer-Wilson-Bourque line has been getting buried in the defensive zone the last two games and have been almost unplayable. They need an actual center for that line so that's where Dries makes sense. Ideally, Greer would stay and Bourque would sit but we know Bednar trusts Bourque, especially on the PK.
Yah because bork is freakin Guy Carboneau on the PK or something. NO idea why the love affair between those two. Bork sucks and shouldnt be an every day player in this league. Greer had a solid game imo and deserved more of a look. f*** I already miss Kamenev.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
He badly wanted another goal. He was in forget Blake Comeau mode tonight and that's a mode I approve of.

Oh absolutely. I was hoping he would put on of them in. As frustrating as he can be sometimes, that guy seems to get a least 1 or 2 really quality scoring chances every game. If he had just a bit more offensive touch, he could have double digit goals by now

Reactions: Avs_19

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dries is the most random, useless player experiment I've seen a team undertake in a while. It's like keeping a potato in a shoebox for a few months just to see what grows on it. I don't get it.

Geez, man, I get he's not exactly an impact player but I don't think he's Marko Dano or Kelly Fairchild either. :laugh:

Much as I have blistered Jared Bednar and the Avs as a whole for their use/misuse of Greer this season, this is the right call IMO. That 4th line of Greer-Wilson-Bourque wasn't getting the job done, which is odd because the 4th line of Bourque-Wilson-Compher was dynamite for the Avs in the postseason (though I guess I kinda just answered my own question there). If you're gonna blame someone for the situation, blame Wilson, who is not only failing to provide adequate scoring, he's failing to provide adequate utility. I just don't know what to make of that guy anymore. He shows sparks of brilliance and then disappears for vast stretches. I can only hope he's gone before the deadline or this offseason. As AJ said, it wasn't doing Greer any good toiling on that line with those two guys. At least in Dries you have an actual center who should do just fine on the 4th line with limited minutes. Also, he may not be big but he's more than willing to get into high traffic areas and in the slot to score the occasional greasy goal. And if ever there was a guy who shot the damn thing every chance he got, even if it's not much of a shot at all, it's Dries. I don't really get the hate, dude's been much better than advertised, and he's been the kind of guy they really need to fill that "tweener" role.

This has answered one question for sure. If they're ever going to give AJ Greer a legit shot they can't just plunk him on the 4th line and hope he does something to earn more ice time. They have to actually make room on the roster for him. And that doesn't mean just waiving a career plug like Bourque, that means dealing someone higher in the lineup like Wilson or Andrighetto. I can see why, right now, they probably don't want to do that, but I think in time they should look into it, or go the other route, and allow Greer to move on somewhere else.

Reactions: Tommy G

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
By no means am I saying Greer deserved to get sent down, but I think Dries has shown more in the NHL than Greer ever has. Seems like a weird bias against the kid for just earning a spot and trust with the coaches.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Geez, man, I get he's not exactly an impact player but I don't think he's Marko Dano or Kelly Fairchild either. :laugh:

Much as I have blistered Jared Bednar and the Avs as a whole for their use/misuse of Greer this season, this is the right call IMO. That 4th line of Greer-Wilson-Bourque wasn't getting the job done, which is odd because the 4th line of Bourque-Wilson-Compher was dynamite for the Avs in the postseason (though I guess I kinda just answered my own question there). If you're gonna blame someone for the situation, blame Wilson, who is not only failing to provide adequate scoring, he's failing to provide adequate utility. I just don't know what to make of that guy anymore. He shows sparks of brilliance and then disappears for vast stretches. I can only hope he's gone before the deadline or this offseason. As AJ said, it wasn't doing Greer any good toiling on that line with those two guys. At least in Dries you have an actual center who should do just fine on the 4th line with limited minutes. Also, he may not be big but he's more than willing to get into high traffic areas and in the slot to score the occasional greasy goal. And if ever there was a guy who shot the damn thing every chance he got, even if it's not much of a shot at all, it's Dries. I don't really get the hate, dude's been much better than advertised, and he's been the kind of guy they really need to fill that "tweener" role.

This has answered one question for sure. If they're ever going to give AJ Greer a legit shot they can't just plunk him on the 4th line and hope he does something to earn more ice time. They have to actually make room on the roster for him. And that doesn't mean just waiving a career plug like Bourque, that means dealing someone higher in the lineup like Wilson or Andrighetto. I can see why, right now, they probably don't want to do that, but I think in time they should look into it, or go the other route, and allow Greer to move on somewhere else.
Kelly Fairchild hahaha. You just had to lol. Remember Jordan Krestanovich?

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->