GDT: Game 31: Columbus vs. Washington 12/18 7PM EST

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@Aportzline: Told the #NHL will take a closer look at #Caps John Carlson's crosscheck to the head of #CBJ C Ryan Johansen. Further discipline possible.”

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
That victory was STOLEN by Toronto... And people say sports aren't controlled lol

sorry I can't agree

"distinct kicking motion" I did not see this

If the rule reads "twist ankle so puck would hit at angle to go in the net" then it would have been a bad call

I wish they would just f ing do away with the rule completely....too much power on goals left up to those in Toronto....too many calls that can go either way

If your good enough to kick the damn thing in, count it, then no debate.. fair to both teams....doesn't the league want more goals?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Johansen is a disgrace. Let him wear 61. I thought we got rid of the moody, half arsed superstar. He should be put in the press box, not even invited to practice. Let Wennberg replace him. Other than some lost face offs, there would be no difference, other than that Wennberg plays better d. There is no worse insult I can give beyond suggesting he should be replaced by Wennberg. Joey is truly terrible. Okay, no pres box, then put him on the 4th line with Boll. that is all he deserves.

At one point, not less than 10 feet in front of me, I watch Joey actually put on the breaks to reduce the impact of his hit on a Caps guy. To call it a hit. is a gross exaggeration. More like he was coping a feel. But he literally broke down his speed so that his "check" was nothing more than a soft nudge. Joey is actually hurting this team during regulation. He is outright terrible. If I am Jarmo, I am looking to trade him while he is at peak value. Joey has become a friggin joke on the ice.

Trade the bum for a fifth and a minor league depth player.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?navid=nav-sts-indiv#

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
sorry I can't agree

"distinct kicking motion" I did not see this

If the rule reads "twist ankle so puck would hit at angle to go in the net" then it would have been a bad call

I wish they would just f ing do away with the rule completely....too much power on goals left up to those in Toronto....too many calls that can go either way

If your good enough to kick the damn thing in, count it, then no debate.. fair to both teams....doesn't the league want more goals?

Let me ask Clint Malarchuk if this is a good idea.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well you're not going to like the results. I see a max 4 points out of that group of games. It's not make or break time in December. That would be in February.

I am more optimistic. I think they have to be completely embarrassed by their first 20 minutes tonight.. If I was HCTR I would make the entire team watch the first period 3 times, and not re-play the 2nd and third period...and I don't think they will start that slow again any time soon.

I am going to say 5-6 points out of these 4 games.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
This loss really stings. This team just can't play worth a **** when they have a lead in the 3rd. Like others have said, that goal off the skate damn sure wouldn't have counted if it was a CBJ player, we never seem to get those breaks...

Distinct kicking motion or not, that should not count. He redirected his skate to put the puck in, instead of using his stick. This ain't soccer dammit. My night is completely ruined. That is a game where I could taste the win, especially after Chaput's goal. If that would have stood as the GWG, my Friday morning, and actually whole day, and rest of tonight, would have been made. What a heartbreaker. I couldn't believe it when that OT goal was scored 5 hole. Still feels unreal. Jackets really deserved the win. Hopefully we can bounce back and take these remaining 4 home games before the start of 2015. These home stands are important. Absolutely must have success on those. Go Jackets.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I hate staged fights...Latta needs to be suspended, he's the center that didn't take a draw...

I usually agree with you on most things but that was not a staged fight. Washington was trying to answer Prout beating Wilson's ass and the whole Washington bench was chirping at Boll, he had to go there.

A staged fight would be something off the opening draw with no previous history or grudges involved and no apparent reason to go. Which I am all for, for the record. Never see anyone going for a cup of coffee in the NWA during a fight

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Let me ask Clint Malarchuk if this is a good idea.

Yes I understand, you make a good point, I agree you have to keep your skate on the ice, this would be easily reviewed......but I am still for allowing players to be able to kick the puck in as long as their skate stays on the ice

God forbid a goaltender or any one else getting cut bad, but there is always a chance, it's a contact sport.

Should we outlaw high slap shots to the net after Tropp got hit in the head with a puck tonight?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yes I understand, you make a good point, I agree you have to keep your skate on the ice, this would be easily reviewed......but I am still for allowing players to be able to kick the puck in as long as their skate stays on the ice

God forbid a goaltender or any one else getting cut bad, but there is always a chance, it's a contact sport.

Should we outlaw high slap shots to the net after Tropp got hit in the head with a puck tonight?

By nature, that's impossible. However, I would not object to there being a rule that a puck that goes in off a skate that is still on the ice should count.

Peter Forsberg was a master at turning his skates at just the right angle to deflect the puck in and I don't know that he ever got one called back because of a kicking motion.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
By nature, that's impossible. However, I would not object to there being a rule that a puck that goes in off a skate that is still on the ice should count.

Peter Forsberg was a master at turning his skates at just the right angle to deflect the puck in and I don't know that he ever got one called back because of a kicking motion.

How is it impossible, didn't the Caps player keep his skate on the ice tonight or did I miss something.....the only thing I seen was he twisted his ankle a little

Todd Richards: "Based on what I was told, those are the goals that are gonna be good goals."

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Nothing amps me up like the Chili Chant.

As for Prout, he was worthless last year sure but lately has stepped it up. Give him 15 minutes clearing the crease and being physical on the bottom pairing.

I agree on both points, your sarcasm towards the horrific, buzz kill, minor league ECHL Chili chant is enraging.

And I think Prout has really played solid the last 10 games, he's been a beast physically and has made smart moves in his own end, haven't seen any big mistakes from him.

Also everyone's favorite whipping line, the 4th line, was really good tonight, finally on the scoreboard, not that that's their job at all, but still nice to see.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Johansen is a disgrace. Let him wear 61. I thought we got rid of the moody, half arsed superstar. He should be put in the press box, not even invited to practice. Let Wennberg replace him. Other than some lost face offs, there would be no difference, other than that Wennberg plays better d. There is no worse insult I can give beyond suggesting he should be replaced by Wennberg. Joey is truly terrible. Okay, no pres box, then put him on the 4th line with Boll. that is all he deserves.

At one point, not less than 10 feet in front of me, I watch Joey actually put on the breaks to reduce the impact of his hit on a Caps guy. To call it a hit. is a gross exaggeration. More like he was coping a feel. But he literally broke down his speed so that his "check" was nothing more than a soft nudge. Joey is actually hurting this team during regulation. He is outright terrible. If I am Jarmo, I am looking to trade him while he is at peak value. Joey has become a friggin joke on the ice.

Wow... I just... well.. I wouldn't go this far but.. woah.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Right now I'm worried about how we will do against Chicago. We haven't fared well against them in recent years ever since they started to contend for the Cup (even winning the Cup twice).

Chicago is one of the best teams in the league I won't argue with that. At least we will be playing them at home so that "da-da-da da-da-da" song (which I like in other contexts) won't be around.

Well there was the one time they played the Hawks goal song after they scored...but hopefully that person was fired

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Directing puck =/= kicking.

That was a good goal.

You can direct pucks off your skate just as you can the rest of your body as long as you don't kick or punch it in.

Say Brouwer directed the puck in with his head instead of his foot, moving his head to guide it in. There's hardly a difference. It sucks whenever a puck gets inadvertently deflected in off a body, but just because it's a skate doesn't mean everyone should cry "he kicked it!!", it's not the same thing.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Hilarious. Let's bench a guy with 28 points in 31 games. Excellent idea.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

:shakehead

Picking on a guy who has lupus.

:shakehead

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I also would explore trading Joey, unless you know of some kind of ailment he has. If he isn't injured or poorly conditioned, then he's lazy, and that hurts the team.

His play tonight was a disgrace.

If we could swing him for someone like Taylor Hall (who I think is a player with exceptional heart who's been unfairly treated), then I would do it in a heartbeat.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I also would explore trading Joey, unless you know of some kind of ailment he has. If he isn't injured or poorly conditioned, then he's lazy, and that hurts the team.

If we could swing him for someone like Taylor Hall (who I think is a player with exceptional heart who's been unfairly treated), then I would do it in a heartbeat.

Oh my god this board. :facepalm:

I swear during his hot start Johansen was a god and now he has a rough stretch and he's a lazy floater that we should explore trading. If that's the case, we should have traded everyone a long time ago.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I'm sorry Major, but...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Connauton and Johansen share the blame for both of the first two goals tonight. Bad positioning for both in both cases.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Oh my god this board. :facepalm:

I swear during his hot start Johansen was a god and now he has a rough stretch and he's a lazy floater that we should explore trading. If that's the case, we should have traded everyone a long time ago.

Really, everyone? Give me a list of players who've been as lazy as Johansen for as long as he's been. I can tell you right now it does not include Dubinsky, Foligno, Jenner, Calvert, etc.. My fingers are tired of typing because it's too easy to think of people less lazy than Johansen.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Fun game to watch, especially after the second. Ovie is a pain to deal with, but I thought we did a good job with him. Coaching that dude must aggravating.

Didn't like the War Room, but now that I've cooled off my big problem is how the league seems to tweak the rulebook every year or two. Or maybe they don't mess with it at all. Just seems like the refs and Toronto are horribly inconsistent. Every time there's a review--be it the CBJ or opponent--I think of Manny in Dallas.

Very happy for Chaput. Nick is balls out. Bob had an off night, but I'm not salty; dealing with all those turnovers and missed assignments must be taxing. Joey must be sick or hurt; don't see a reason to be angry with him as he's done pretty well overall this year. Two SO goals in the last week.

I thought the fourth line did their job tonight. Boll got an assist and answered the Caps bench, so I guess we should buy him out, right?

Also: I really like Connouton (sp). Hard worker. Surprise 10 goal scorer?

Gossip: Hot girl I know knows some other hot chick that married Dorsett. Love me some Derek Dorsett. Pure heart, that dude.

Six points out of a wild card, seven points out of third. Still think the hole dug last month is too big, but they seem to have good chemistry. If Letestu can play before February s--- could get crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad