Post-Game Talk: Game # 30 Rangers @ Capitals 03/20/2021 - 7pm EST - MSG

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lafreniere played 7:53. I don’t want to trash a win but come on.

He needs to earn more ice time. He hasn't looked good.

I think 7:53 is extreme, but he shouldn't be getting 15+ minutes a night if his play doesn't warrant it.

Both Laf and Kakko have underwhelmed. On ice results and production matter.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
Wasn’t a terrible game, till they went full turtle in the 3rd trying to win it on a 1 goal lead against a dangerous Caps team.

Mika is back, now has 10 points in his last 5 games, and that move on Dillon was the Mika we’ve loved from the last 2 seasons just hustling and taking control of the game.

Kinkaid who gets so much heat here, was very good with some of those late saves. Overall happy they were able to get the win.

Yes, Kinkaid looks really good for the 3rd string Goalie IMO, and Mika looks like he's back, I really hope we keep Mika and Buch.

Hajek needs some love. He's been good

Hajek has been really good, I'd love to see more of him, and Reunenen on the ice, can't wait for 2021-2022 when Nils comes over.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Howden looks way more than like Bieber than Hughes. And apparently Bieber is a legit hockey player so I’ll take us having a Bieber

He might not be pulling his weight on the roster right now but wait until we have an All Star Game. He'll crush it at media and fan day. Our only answer to Mat Barzal.

Reactions: Cmox

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Caps post-game crew are just really impressed with our team. It's more Rangers post-game than Caps post-game.

Reactions: Cmox

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Zibanejad is so dominant when he’s on his game. It’s great to see him producing again.

I’m also stating the obvious when I say Kakko has to start shooting more. He’s worlds better than he was last year, but he still doesn’t trust his shot enough when he has a chance and opts to pass. He should’ve had AT LEAST 1 goal tonight.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
No way we win that game without Howden. Howden for captain! :popcorn:

In other news... Kakko looks so damn good. He just needs to pull the damn trigger.

Zbad is back as well. :)

If Buchnevich doesn't pass, he's pretty damn good. :naughty:

Hopefully a summer with Mikko Rantanen tuning his shot/finishing is next on the menu :)

Another positive thing I noticed is Kakko looked much more mobile this game, if he gets his skating going the points has to start to come soon.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Might sound pessimistic but eh, I don’t really care how good he’s playing defensively. That’s not what he was drafted 2nd overall for
I think the fact that he has made such drastic improvements in his nonexistent defensive game to being actually a pretty good defensive player now is encouraging. Because that means he wants to learn, and probably will learn. I still think it's more about his confidence when it comes to offense.

Add some speed during the summer with proper skating coach and then he can start to drive the offense more himself. ATM he kinda needs the help of others because he's not fast enough. Good thing is, this can be fixed. He should just call Rantanen and ask his advice on the subject.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He’s been okay in extremely sheltered minutes.

You probably noticed that we went to two pairings late in this game
He's doing whats asked of him.

I think he would have matched up better vs Ovi. Lavilotte seemed to be putting Ovi on Fox for that mismatch

edit- I was about to say 'I didn't notice him, so thats good'.... looked at his minutes .. :laugh:

He didn't get much down the stretch. So much for 'development'. I'd be ok with kids making mistakes in these games. They have to make them eventually.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kakko got extra shifts at the end there because of his defensive work. Definitely one of his more notable games this year. These last two have been his best since Covid

the mins for the kids were ridiculous

fox played 28 mins holy shit. On the 2nd of a back to back knoblauch is a madman lol

Reactions: CLW

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Zibanejad is so dominant when he’s on his game. It’s great to see him producing again.

I’m also stating the obvious when I say Kakko has to start shooting more. He’s worlds better than he was last year, but he still doesn’t trust his shot enough when he has a chance and opts to pass. He should’ve had AT LEAST 1 goal tonight.

Zib is just so fast and strong when he is fit. When he was injured/recovering/a step or two slower he was half the player. I think this is Laf's issue atm as well. The NHL has never been faster, it just takes years to build up the strength etc it takes to truly dominate.

Reactions: egelband

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Sort of like yesterday: I thought the better team lost tonight. But it's a well deserved win for the Rangers who I thought (at least) deserved a point for their efforts yesterday. Thankfully the Hockey Gods agreed.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I know everyone is getting frustrated with KK, but his defensive game has been impressive this season. Out there with under 4 minutes to go and he broke up 2 big plays in the NZ. Last season, I dreaded his line because he would always get lost and hemmed in his own end. His positioning is coming together, the offense will follow soon
Absolutely. He needs to be more decisive on the attack. But that’s the easiest thing to figure out I think. He has a lot of good structure. His foundation is really good. I think the offense will be the last part to come but when it does he’ll be a beauty.

It just appears the Rangers are telling these guys to prioritize defensive play and let the offense come when it comes.

Reactions: Kords

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Awful game but made up for last night. Should have won yesterday, should have lost tonight. That's hockey.

This is the type of "bad game" we'd have back in the day. Sometimes you win them sometimes you lose them. But for a bad game it wasn't that bad. Hell, the Caps looked worse last night than we did tonight.

Reactions: egelband

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So glad this game has one goal with Tommy Boy laying on his face while his man scores and the other features that tool bag fake tough guy Dillon getting pushed over like a clown and costing his team the game. Screw both those guys.

Reactions: Cmox and egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad