Post-Game Talk: Game 3 @ Vegas - THE BEAR dances on the Vegas Strip - BRUINS 4 VGK 3 F

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I thought Vegas was open the flood gates at 2-0

This Bruins team is excellent. I also think it is only a matter of time until we see Bjork. Krejci line looks a little disjointed/timing off. I still think Sweeney makes a serious move closer to the TDL to acquire that 2RW. Bruins have a plethora of young players in the AHL that are NHL ready so making this type of deal would be relatively easy.

Red rover, red rover I call Toffoli over. Would really love to acquire Hall somehow.....

Bjork
1st
3rd

for

Hall

:naughty:

Side note: I haven't been able to watch these games since I go to bed a grand parent times. I pretty much buried all things hockey this offseason until I watched some highlights this morning. On Marchands first when Krug missed the net I had the feeling of playoff excitment where any good look gets you on the edge of your seat. That was quickly diffused seeing it's game 3 of 82. oof, I need to adjust my mentality back to regular season. here's to a healthy and good regular season and maybe some hockey deeeeep into the summer again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish and BMC

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Several times last night as the game was being played at break neck speed, I kept reflecting back on Game 4 against Carolina and how the whole team D looked so mobile. How faster would they be without Chara?

I was contemplating life without Chara, then the final 3 minutes of the game came, and I do not believe the Captain missed a second of the action. The stamina of Big Z is amazing.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
@TD Charlie No it wasn't you.

There was an issue with electronics that run the virtual ads behind the glass - if we went in tighter the ads would vanish.

Those ads bring in roughly 50K in revenue per game which offsets production costs on the road.

The crew despises the ads as we do the ticker but we also know it generates revenue. It is what it is.

Fenway, I'll give you $5 if you eliminate the ticker. Let's start a go fund me.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Terrific game. I wash shaking my fist at the sky when they got down 0-2. It was frustrating because I felt like that was the best 5on5 hockey we had played this season. I'm glad they stuck with it and were eventually rewarded for it.

That's a good team, and a bit of a throwback with so many heavy wingers and a big, physical defense.

Glad to see the top guys come alive, though we shouldn't be surprised they rose to the challenge. B's really need to fix their PK.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Very happy to see the boys win this one. I stopped watching when it was tied.

I am wondering if there are any real plans to get a right-winger for Krejci. Sweeney should try to trade for Josh Anderson...

Reactions: Fenian24

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Those are some interesting stats in that some of it jives with what I saw and some didn't.

Carlo and Krug took 78% offensive zone faceoffs and got out-shot and goals were 1-1.

I thought Carlo had a tough night, blown coverages, pucks hopping over his stick, mishandling it... I guess that would explain how they had 78% Ozone starts yet were still outshot.

Heinen 14-6 shots in favor of the B's with him on the ice.

Heinen looked excellent (again) and I liked the extended look at Heinen-Krejci-Coyle. It seemed like any line he played on looked immediately better. That play he made where he caught a pass in the air and then chipped it to Pasta on the wing was very skillful. I don't know how this guy doesn't get credited with more takeaways. He gets 3-4 every game.

Ritchie on the ice Vegas out-shot the Bruins 12-2.

I actually thought that was Ritchie's best game. I liked his net drive early, when he leaned in and plowed his way to the net and got a shot off, and I thought he and Krejci had some monster zone time late in the game. That said, it seemed like he and DeBrusk got benched for a good portion of the game, and Ritchie ended up with only 8 minutes so clearly Cassidy was not impressed. I can see why if Vegas took 12 shots in those 8 minutes. I think that speaks to what we emphasize when we watch players. I was looking for him to get in on forechecks, control the boards, hit, power to the net, get open for shots (didn't see that but saw the rest), but maybe Cassidy was looking at his backchecking, his ability to see the breakout and stretch, how he plays off his linemates in his own zone, etc...

McAvoy Chara 9 mins vs. Karlsson line including 6 DZ faceoffs. 5 SOG, no goals.

I thought Chara was really good in this one. I think the bigger, more rugged style of Vegas played to his strengths.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just realized how difficult the Bruins schedule is to start. Of their first 10 games, 7 are legit contenders and 3 are teams that should be upstart teams this year. If they can get out of this with a good record, it would be extremely impressive.

Contenders

at Stars
at Golden Knights
at Avalanche
vs. Lightning
at Maple Leafs
vs. Maple Leafs
vs. Blues

Upstart Teams

at Coyotes (almost made the playoffs last year and should definitely be better this year)
vs. Ducks (sneaky good team that has a new coach and are good defensively)
vs. Devils (I think they're paper tigers TBH, I don't really buy all the flash; still, certainly better than last year)

It'll be interesting to see how they manage Rask/Halak over this stretch. Have to figure Halak is locked in to play the Ducks and Devils at least.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Krejci was good when he played with Heinen and Coyle. Kuhlman had some bursts but did not have the puck enough. Once he was on the 3rd line he was great.

Brett Ritchie overall, not a great game.
Strange pattern emerges:

Everyone looks good playing with Heinen & Coyle. Even Ritchie when he was there, kind of.

I don't think Kuhlman is the problem with the 2nd line. In fact, Heinen-Coyle-Kuhlman would be a great 2nd line....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Strange pattern emerges:

Everyone looks good playing with Heinen & Coyle. Even Ritchie when he was there, kind of.

I don't think Kuhlman is the problem with the 2nd line. In fact, Heinen-Coyle-Kuhlman would be a great 2nd line....

This is a good post, it's almost like JDB and to a lesser extent Krejci are the issues w the second line lol.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Strange pattern emerges:

I think it would be an outstanding third line, Coyle-Heinen clearly have some good chemistry and are both possession monsters. I don't think Kuhlman has top 6 skill but he skates well and is a good complimentary piece.

The big problem has always been and will continue to be #2 RW. Ritchie/Backes are both 4th liners. I sound like a broken record at this point but they need to give Bjork a good shot at that spot next to Krejci/DeBrusk for an extended trial and see if it works/if he's capable of playing top 6 at this level. Right now, he is their best internal option. If it doesn't work, they can probably patch things over until making a move near the trade deadline. Toffoli is an obvious target.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Fenway, I'll give you $5 if you eliminate the ticker. Let's start a go fund me.

I'm in for $50.

How stupid is it that the ticker runs the score of the actual game that we are watching -- sometimes listing a different time in the game.

Almost as stupid as running the ticker with the Bruins score during Bruins in 2 --- which I used to watch when I worked overnight shifts.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Strange pattern emerges:

I know the game is fluid... but it could have something to do with matchups?

My guess is that if given the choice, they'd match up their best defense pair vs. line 1 -- their 2nd vs. Krejci's line, etc.

Not saying this to disrespect Coyle's line at all, just pointing it out.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
cant remember our defense and goaltending being this great at the same time. Hopefully they stay healthy.
Offensively, we will need to fill that hole on line 2. I see only one huge deal to make this year, and that should be it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Not really, the pain still there taking my regular pain pills. Hospital gave me a patch and two 5 mg Percoset. Today waiting for operating room time for my pain management doctor to shoot steroids between two disks in the spine, tomorrow. I hope he guesses the right disks. Thanks for asking, this has been a chronic problem for me. At my age surgery preference is risky

Be very very careful with Percocet, one of the side effects can be shutting down your bladder & bowels. If you notice you are starting to have a hard time doing either or both, stop taking it. Been there, done that & had to go to the ER to get it taken care of.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Does Fenway work for NESN or the media??
If you do- can you please get me a contact number for NBCSN or let them know they have to up the bitrate on their streaming??? Right now it tops out at 3800kbps. Has to be at least up to 5800. NESN is at 7060 kbps for a reference. Watching hockey at 3800kbps it staggers all over the place.

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Working long hours right now so a bit to tired to post last 2 games.I did watch the games though and Bruins played fantastic road games.Going to be a good year I hope.Go Bruins.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Be very very careful with Percocet, one of the side effects can be shutting down your bladder & bowels. If you notice you are starting to have a hard time doing either or both, stop taking it. Been there, done that & had to go to the ER to get it taken care of.

Thanks for that info. I only was given 2 low strength of 5 mg. My regular pain pills are mild also. I got the message loud and clear

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This is a good post, it's almost like JDB and to a lesser extent Krejci are the issues w the second line lol.
they are definitely underperforming, but their relative numbers are both better than Ritchie, which is what you'd expect. I gotta think for like the 3rd year in a row those guys having to constantly adapt to random RWs is taking a toll on them.

I'm not saying the Bruins should have traded for James Neal, but man it pisses me off to see yet another possible 2nd line RW option get moved & be successful while Sweeney still hasn't filled that spot. I still would have liked them to land Hoffman last summer too. (or f***ing SIGN MOJO) They don't need an elite winger...they just need a competent NHL scoring winger who they can develop some chemistry with. I like Kuhlman but he's not the answer long-term IMO. Neither is Ritchie obviously.

Bjork could be or he could just as easily be another Donato.

Reactions: Krupp and LouJersey

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I can’t find the stat referencing our first line as scoring and allowing 52 goals over their last 103 games and 1024 minutes together.

How can this possibly be true if they were a combined plus 44 last year?

Also please let me know if there is a better thread for this question.

Just to take this a step further. If the Boston Journal below is correct where do the other 28 goals against come from. There were some in the playoffs, but not 28!

NHL Notebook: 65 stats, figures and facts that could define the 2019-20 Boston Bruins | Boston Sports Journal
24: 5v5 goals scored against the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line in 2018-19
They might be known in some circles as the “Perfection Line,” but Boston’s top forward trio was far from flawless in all facets of their game last year. Granted, they often go up against another top-six trio, but opponents often managed to land some punches against the Bergeron line last year, despite the fact that Cassidy primarily deployed them in the O-zone. After relinquishing 17 goals over 533 minutes of 5v5 TOI together in 2017-18, the Bergeron line was on the hook for 24 goals against in just 461 minutes in 2018-19. That crew might need to tighten a few things up.

Last edited:

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I haven't been able to watch the games live because of late starts here in NL. But I think we are in for another run ( gut feeling on this one ) . Defense & Goaltending have been solid, just plain solid.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
I can’t find the stat referencing our first line as scoring and allowing 52 goals over their last 103 games and 1024 minutes together.

How can this possibly be true if they were a combined plus 44 last year?
The stat starts counting after the line's amazing start to the 2017-2018 season.

That line was dominant at the beginning of the 2017-2018 season, started 23-3 GF-GA.
The rest of that season it turned around, 5-13.
Playoffs, 11-8.
2018-2019, 28-24 together. Remember, Marchand-Bergeron ran up their +/- over a stretch with Heinen.
2019 Playoffs, 6-7.
This season, 2-1.
It's a fair point, I'm sure they get tough match-ups but that line hasn't been dominating at even strength the last year and a half.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
The stat starts counting after the line's amazing start to the 2017-2018 season.

That line was dominant at the beginning of the 2017-2018 season, started 23-3 GF-GA.
The rest of that season it turned around, 5-13.
Playoffs, 11-8.
2018-2019, 28-24 together. Remember, Marchand-Bergeron ran up their +/- over a stretch with Heinen.
2019 Playoffs, 6-7.
This season, 2-1.
It's a fair point, I'm sure they get tough match-ups but that line hasn't been dominating at even strength the last year and a half.
Thank You.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad