GDT: Game #3 | St. Louis Blues vs Calgary Flames | "Team Defense gone Missing Edition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yes, I have something of value to add.

They is 3rd person plural, not first.

But this is not a critique of grammar; it is a commentary on how we fans bandwagon the positives while externally blaming the negatives.

You corrected him for saying "we". "We" is first person plural.

I guess its true that value is in the eye of the beholder.

“Also welcome to the board.”

I thought it was an amusing observation.

He's been here 6 months, and the extent of his contributions are OT, random posts where he just types "..." and being pedantic grammar-police. I'll welcome people who actually discuss hockey along with their oblique critique of fandom/mild insults of board members.

Reactions: Bendak

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Overall good win tonight. Some moments in the 3rd that we’re pretty bad, but cleaned up the play after that timeout.

Tonight was certainly a game where Perron was on fire!
The third period loss of vision is getting old. I will give them a pass tonight because we were up by a kings ransom, but it has happened over and over for the last two seasons, and is creeping in to this season.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Plz count for me the number of replies after the game ended tonight compared to last week’s games, and the number of dead threads resurrected, and the number of entries to other threads complaining about something. Most people just want to complain about something, and they no longer have any idea how to root for something after years of conditioning by things like Barstool and Gametime telling them that everything sucks and the easiest target is to blame. No specific or especially honest insight, just whining and moaning, moaning and whining, over and over again. This team can’t play for its city because it’s city hates them no matter what. It’s stupid, unreasonable, and embarrassing.
I, for one, am shocked that there's less activity after a Thursday night game than after a Saturday night one.

This board would be much better off if everyone simply didn't go to work or school on Fridays.

(That's me complaining about Fridays, for the record, as well as about the slavish devotion that people seem to have to doing productive things on those days.)

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You corrected him for saying "we". "We" is first person plural.

I guess its true that value is in the eye of the beholder.

He's been here 6 months, and the extent of his contributions are OT, random posts where he just types "..." and being pedantic grammar-police. I'll welcome people who actually discuss hockey along with their oblique critique of fandom/mild insults of board members.
Why so hostile? He made an amusing observation. He didn’t ‘correct’ the quoted poster. Re-read it.

Your response just came off as authoritarian and unfriendly.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Keep charging those Windmills, Don.
I think Morty's post was a bit hyperbolic, but he's not really wrong. Don't have the stats to back it up, but anecdotally it always seems like there's more activity on this forum after losses than wins.

And just generally speaking, Blues fans do seem to love complaining about the team (particularly the whoever is the goalie at the time). :dunno:

EDIT: Anyway, solid win tonight. Switching Perron and Kyrou obviously worked wonders. Not to toot my own horn to hard, but I thought starting Kyrou on the 3rd line with Steen and Bozak would be a good fit. Glad to see it work out and see Perron notch the hatty...LGB!

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So...were they interested in Jerabek because of his skating? I don’t know much of a scouting report on him, but he seemed fast, and otherwise not so great. Does Yeo have some vision of utilizing a fast guy on D for a quick transition attack? Seems they had something particular in mind.

If this is close to the truth, I applaud the team for turning over every rock to try and improve team speed. But this guy can go to the AHL for his next stop.

Not Bortuzzo’s best game, but I think they struggled as a pairing.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
So...were they interested in Jerabek because of his skating? I don’t know much of a scouting report on him, but he seemed fast, and otherwise not so great. Does Yeo have some vision of utilizing a fast guy on D for a quick transition attack? Seems they had something particular in mind.

If this is close to the truth, I applaud the team for turning over every rock to try and improve team speed. But this guy can go to the AHL for his next stop.

Not Bortuzzo’s best game, but I think they struggled as a pairing.
They were f***ing awful.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Morty's post was a bit hyperbolic, but he's not really wrong IMO. Don't have the stats to back it up, but anecdotally it always seems like there's more activity on this forum after losses than wins.

And just generally speaking, Blues fans do seem to love complaining about the team (particularly the whoever is the goalie at the time). :dunno:
A win will always gloss over some of the glaring problems but they're still there. People like the vent their frustrations, it's normal and doesn't apply to just Blues fans. There were absolutely alarming issues through the last 2 games.....and this one tbh. Lets not forget that games 1 and 2 were....games 1 and 2. Those threads would have been lengthy regardless.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Watching the game now. Neal's goal was not on Bortuzzo, as he was in position. I'm still looking at the replays to try and see where Jerabek was, but I'm pretty sure Neal would have been JJ's assignment.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm sure Army traded for Jerabek because they knew that Bortuzzo would eventually get hurt, thus throwing in Schmaltz and no other bodies left to play defense! Jokes aside, I can't think of any good reason why we traded for him, and if it is in fact to create more speed on this team, that's not the way to do it. I feel like the term puck-moving defenseman gets thrown around waaay too much, but the only way to actually look and be fast is a combination of good passes out of the D-zone and speed to go along with it. The play that Kyrou made is a good example of speed in transition, and look what happened, we scored a goal. I think Schmaltz, given ample time and opportunity, would prove to be a valuable asset as a good 2nd/3rd pairing option to "puck-moving". He's demonstrated a great ability in the AHL, and I have to think that once he's comfortable he'll be just as effective in the NHL. I don't understand sitting Dunn, but I also don't understand playing Jerabek over Schmaltz... something I think we all agree. Anywho, Jerabek will probably be sent down once Fabbri comes back so no sense in getting worked up over it.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Plz count for me the number of replies after the game ended tonight compared to last week’s games, and the number of dead threads resurrected, and the number of entries to other threads complaining about something. Most people just want to complain about something, and they no longer have any idea how to root for something after years of conditioning by things like Barstool and Gametime telling them that everything sucks and the easiest target is to blame. No specific or especially honest insight, just whining and moaning, moaning and whining, over and over again. This team can’t play for its city because it’s city hates them no matter what. It’s stupid, unreasonable, and embarrassing.

giphy.gif

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016

Negativity can always go over the top, I’m guilty of it.

There is a saying in the Navy “A bitchin sailor is a happy sailor”, while there can be many interpretations; the one I always liked from a leadership perspective was that a sailor who cared enough to complain was engaged and better than a sailor who had a I don’t give a $&#$ attitude. Of course it was always abused to make sailors life miserable since that’s tradition and it was always easier than making our time away from family and friends easier and enjoyable. So a bitchin Blues fan at least cares enough to complain.

Fun thought if we actually did win it all, with all the new bandwagon fans on here, your complaint could easily become “Most people just want to cheer about something, and they no longer have any idea how to root for something after years of conditioning by things like Barstool and Gametime telling them that everything rocks and the easiest player to make a main board post about how fast they scored in their first five games. Other than that no specific or especially honest insight, just cheering and screaming, cherring and screaming, over and over again. This team can’t play for its city because it’s city loves them no matter what. It’s stupid, unreasonable, and embarrassing.” Or something like that hope to see it someday :)

This city has always been bipolar even when the Cardinals were winning all time in the 80’s their nickname was the Cardiac Cards.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I'm sure Army traded for Jerabek because they knew that Bortuzzo would eventually get hurt, thus throwing in Schmaltz and no other bodies left to play defense! Jokes aside, I can't think of any good reason why we traded for him, and if it is in fact to create more speed on this team, that's not the way to do it. I feel like the term puck-moving defenseman gets thrown around waaay too much, but the only way to actually look and be fast is a combination of good passes out of the D-zone and speed to go along with it. The play that Kyrou made is a good example of speed in transition, and look what happened, we scored a goal. I think Schmaltz, given ample time and opportunity, would prove to be a valuable asset as a good 2nd/3rd pairing option to "puck-moving". He's demonstrated a great ability in the AHL, and I have to think that once he's comfortable he'll be just as effective in the NHL. I don't understand sitting Dunn, but I also don't understand playing Jerabek over Schmaltz... something I think we all agree. Anywho, Jerabek will probably be sent down once Fabbri comes back so no sense in getting worked up over it.
I don't get it either. Why trade for him when they literally have Dunn...

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Jerabek is fast. (Shrug). Yakupov is fast. Paajarvi is fast. So what. Fast means diddly squat if you don't know how to use it. Small sample size, I know, but Jerabek looked to me like he didn't know where to be tonight. He has no clue as to positional play. He also doesn't seem to know how to read a play.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Jerabek is fast. (Shrug). Yakupov is fast. Paajarvi is fast. So what. Fast means diddly squat if you don't know how to use it. Small sample size, I know, but Jerabek looked to me like he didn't know where to be tonight. He has no clue as to positional play. He also doesn't seem to know how to read a play.
I mean he sucks. There's a reason why he didn't crack the Oilers lineup.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Jerabek is definitely fast and he definitely had no clue on where to be on a lot of play tonight. However, same can be said for the whole team in their own zone at times these past three games. I have no clue why they are changing the in zone defense strategy.

Maybe they planed a Jaybo/Jerabek rotation on the third pair? Gunnerson has to be traded when he come back due to cap right? If Jaybo returns to some semblance of form, would be nice to keep him fresh down the strech instead of playing injured.

Look on the bright side at least? Jerabek is young fast and could improve over time better than trading for an injured veteran defenseman like we did a few years ago for no good reason. I know trade deadline vs beginning of the season but doubt Armstrong will be able to add anything at the trade deadline this year so he was probably planning ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad