GDT: Game #3 | St. Louis Blues vs Calgary Flames | "Team Defense gone Missing Edition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I know it’s game three, but I don't see any sign that we are anywhere close to Wpg, Nsh, Chi. Gonna be a long season.
I actually think we are in the mix. We finally have the goal scoring capabilities to keep up now, if we just tighten up our Dplay which we have done in the past, we can compete with anyone in the central.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Jerabek is definitely fast and he definitely had no clue on where to be on a lot of play tonight. However, same can be said for the whole team in their own zone at times these past three games. I have no clue why they are changing the in zone defense strategy.

Maybe they planed a Jaybo/Jerabek rotation on the third pair? Gunnerson has to be traded when he come back due to cap right? If Jaybo returns to some semblance of form, would be nice to keep him fresh down the strech instead of playing injured.

Look on the bright side at least? Jerabek is young fast and could improve over time better than trading for an injured veteran defenseman like we did a few years ago for no good reason. I know trade deadline vs beginning of the season but doubt Armstrong will be able to add anything at the trade deadline this year so he was probably planning ahead.

He's 27, but young in NHL experience. He was born into the league with a Cup in his hands.

Reactions: Bendak

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That’s the good thing about David Perron. Some games he will be invisible but he will also win you some games too. Glad that line woke up tonight.

Patrick Maroon is a much better player than people give him credit for. He’s been good.

I never imagined Edmundson would become this good of a core piece. Great #3 d-man.

Still not a fan of Thomas and Kyrou only getting 7-8 mins.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
eddy #1
thomas/kyrou had great plays to get first points
good for perron
allen was good imo
jerabek was....something
bort made some bad plays but is still great at PK

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
overall a solid game from the Blues, again D needs help, kids need to play more the PP seems to be starting to come together. didn't like they took their foot off the pedal in the early part of the 3rd gave the Flames some chance of hope, Jake was the Jake of old at times and was floppy at times but a step in the right direction, can really fault him for the goals.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
3rd pairing was garbage. I'd rather them have a sheltered pairing of Dunn/Schmaltz than Bortozzo and Jerabek.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I could put money bet Mikkola would Be better then Jerbaneck. They Even give away pick for that garbage.

agreed but I think the more time Mikko gets in the AHL the better he will be when he comes up, I think he will see some NHL time this year and I also think KK will also.

KK may be our mini Tank until he out grows him..

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Watching the game now. Neal's goal was not on Bortuzzo, as he was in position. I'm still looking at the replays to try and see where Jerabek was, but I'm pretty sure Neal would have been JJ's assignment.
If Bortz doesn't **** the bed on the breakout, Calgary doesn't have the puck in the zone, so he definitely shares a good chunk of the blame on that goal.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
The difference between a Stanley Cup team and this one is that they keep the foot on the gas. Look at Washington. They won President's trophy after president's trophy and came up short when it mattered. They learned from it. I hope we can do the same.
Well Washington never touched the gas last night...

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
I was at the game again last night. This was a different team than last Thursday. Chemistry is starting to take hold & Jake looked much more comfortable. I've never really been a big Perron fan but boy did he sell me last night. He's a very good fit for that 2nd line & wow Schenn seemed to come alive with his creativity. Defense is still suspect but they did look better with the exception of that fill-in guy. He needs to go.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
After watching JJ-28 last night, I think I'll hold off on getting his sweater for a bit. :sarcasm:

Petro made some boneheaded plays, but overall the top 4 were better. J-Bo isn't going to make it through the season. He looks like he is on one wheel right now and his upper body strength has atrophied to the point where a slapper won't go end to end on fresh made ice.

One thing that impressed me about Kyrou was his getting back into the play. I had a coach that use to say if you are out of the play, put your head down and skate as fast as you can to get back into it. Kyrou does just that. He doesn't leave much out on the ice after a shift, he hustles all the time. And he has some seriously saucy mitts cutting through traffic. He's going to get his clocked cleaned a few times doing it, but he'll learn to pick and choose his spots.

Thomas surprised me defensively. I was afraid he wouldn't be able to do that, but he is actually very responsible with the puck in his own end, and staying in his lane and assignment in his own end. I predict he'll be killing penalties by Thanksgiving.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If the Blues think maybe they can make something out of Jerabek, fine. But send him through waivers and let him learn it in San Antonio. I'm skeptical, but I don't see how you can allocate a roster spot for him when the club is healthy. I'd like to see Fabbri takes his spot in the 23 man roster. If Schwartz and Bortuzzo fight over that last spot and the healthy scratch, fine. Maybe Bouwmeester will get scratched some of the time too.

Gunnarsson must be a trade shortly after he's ready to play.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Explains alot if you really think about it....

It is pretty much just human nature. The whole internet obsession of going balls to the wall for the entire game is a myth. I mean, in an 82-game season you are going to want to try to conserve some energy at times, such as when you’re up 5-1. I get it.

Wow, imagine that, a whole lot less activity here after a decisive win than after a loss. It’s almost like some folks here don’t have anything to say that isn’t complaining.
31+ pages in this GDT isn’t a lot of activity?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It is pretty much just human nature. The whole internet obsession of going balls to the wall for the entire game is a myth. I mean, in an 82-game season you are going to want to try to conserve some energy at times, such as when you’re up 5-1. I get it.

31+ pages in this GDT isn’t a lot of activity?
I meant it as more of a consentration issue, not effort

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
agreed but I think the more time Mikko gets in the AHL the better he will be when he comes up, I think he will see some NHL time this year and I also think KK will also.

KK may be our mini Tank until he out grows him..

Agree. Mikkola and KK are soon to be nhlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad