GDT: Game 3: Phoenix Coyotes @ New York Islanders 10-8-13 | 4PM Arizona Time

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
His last 50 games have been dreadful. When do you expect him to figure it out?

Surely you can't be serious dude. You know even if we did miss the playoffs last year we still won 21 games and finished just 4 points out of a playoff berth. Dreadful is the last adjective I would use.

That being said, yeesh, we look horrible.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Surely you can't be serious dude. You know even if we did miss the playoffs last year we still won 21 games and finished just 4 points out of a playoff berth. Dreadful is the last adjective I would use.

That being said, yeesh, we look horrible.

We were never on track last year and on top of that, we picked up a bunch of meaningless points at the end to drop down in the draft.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Sloppy..but saw some glimmers of hope.

Korpi can't finish even when it was open net. Goal handed to him on a silver platter but he fumbled.

Rundblad is sketchy with the puck. Jeckle and Hyde wears number 2. but I think he will be alright and get it together.

Hanzal, Vrbata, and Ribs looked good. Doan was ok but he will get better...I hope.

Griess >>>>LoLBarbra

Just my quick thoughts about game number 3 of the season. I hope this team gets it together soon. The season is still early so I am not going to yell for anyones head just yet. Ill give it some time.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We were never on track last year and on top of that, we picked up a bunch of meaningless points at the end to drop down in the draft.

News flash, a lot of the systems teams had their inconsistencies last year. Nashville, New York, St. Louis, etc. Those that did make the playoffs primarily did so based on their talent level. The fact remains that Tippett got this team into the postseason when nearly everyone was penciling us in for a lottery pick for 3 consecutive years.

We're still only 3 games in the season and 1-2. Obviously we have a lot of issues to work out, but it's nothing to jump off a cliff about just yet. If we're still getting shellacked a month from now, that's when it's appropriate to panic.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I will say though that despite how bad our play has been as of late, I will say that the scheduling is a ****ing joke early on. Why did we start the season 1 game at home and now we have a road trip shortly after? Be ****ing consistent please! Either have us start the 1st few games straight at home or on the road.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

Toronto made the playoffs last year, Islanders almost beat the Penguins in the playoffs. A short season is nothing to base a coach's career on. Dave Tippett is 2nd to Babcock in most games won since 2004. If the Coyotes fire Tippett I will put your kids, and your kid's kids through college.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I always remember Tyson as a sloppy player. He loved to go for the big hits that get the fans cheering, but had a knack for taking himself completely out of proper defensive position trying to make the big hit.

Yeah he sucked as a player and worse as a color guy.

So Doan is playing in this game?

Would be news to me. You let San Jose drop 51 shots on you in a 4-1 loss and go into Long Island facing a sub par team minus JT and get smoked 6-1? If I were a new owner I wouldn't be too thrilled with that kind of performance. Not to mention our PK has given up 5 in 12.

It may be early, but giving up 10 goals in 2 games while only scoring 2 is ridiculous.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Tippett isn't going anywhere. If anything we are feeling the effects of what having a strict budget by the NHL's ownership has put us into this point in part. To think we might be the ones having Mike Richards and Jeff Carter on this team instead of the WheatKings if we had the money to do so.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Some post-game tweets:

@ToddWalsh As you might have expected there is a closed door players only meeting w #coyotes Postgame reaction posted ASAP.

@ToddWalsh #coyotes HC Dave Tippett said "We don't have enough players playing with the right identity right now. We will fix that."

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I still don't think it's the defense. Our defense has proven to be on point over the last few years, and when the offense can't control the puck for more than 15 seconds at a time, our defense will be overwhelmed. That's what I've seen. Offense inept ability to make passes or gain zone entry on the powerplay, mixed with a lackluster start from guys like Yandle, Doan, Ribeiro, etc. makes this team looks like ****.

like XX said, we have to start holding these players accountable. If Yandle can't play the game right, bench him. If he still can't, trade him for something we really need.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
I haven't gotten to watch the game yet and I am not sure I want to know that I've seen the score but I want to say.

1. The Islanders are a good team! They have talent and they are putting it together.

2. This is only the third game.

The Coyotes will get things straightened out. We will get back to playing lower scoring, tight, defensive games. The offense is a concern though that can't be ignored. If management chooses not to address it then the coach really needs to get everyone on the same page. Defense first. No mistakes. Capitalize on the other teams mistakes and win close games.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sloppy..but saw some glimmers of hope.

On the side of glimmers of hope...That wasn't a meaningless run that was the start the the team getting on track. The short season cut it off. The same exact thing the team has always done under Tippet. Team is mediocre in the first month, heats up a bit, then it starts to look really bad.

But then in Feb/March the team explodes. We saw the beginning of that last season and it was cut off by a 48 game schedule.

The Coyotes combined record in February and March in non-shortened seasons is 48-21-8 since Tippet. That's fantastic, and what we missed out on last year.

Another pattern, save for 2009-2010 the first month of the season has been mediocre. Then the second month quite good. Then everyone panics around December cause the team starts taking a dump.

Month 1 Record over the last 3 years: 10-11-6

Month 2 record over the last 3 years: 23-11-5

Month 3 record over the last 3 years: 17-22-6

This is literally the Dave Tippet team MO. If the team is still floundering in the second week of November call me then and I'll gladly get crazy over it.

Demosthenes

Speaker for the dead
Sep 29, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I still don't think it's the defense. Our defense has proven to be on point over the last few years, and when the offense can't control the puck for more than 15 seconds at a time, our defense will be overwhelmed. That's what I've seen. Offense inept ability to make passes or gain zone entry on the powerplay, mixed with a lackluster start from guys like Yandle, Doan, Ribeiro, etc. makes this team looks like ****.

like XX said, we have to start holding these players accountable. If Yandle can't play the game right, bench him. If he still can't, trade him for something we really need.

This. We have solid D, but a lot of our consistency comes from a solid forecheck and sustained offensive zone pressure, and we can handle the few chances we limit them to. However when we just give them free reign we are going to get smoked. I know we got scored on early but it was indicative of things to come, and we never really stopped them from getting chances for long at all tonight (and not at all in SJ).

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
offense can't control the puck for more than 15 seconds at a time, our defense will be overwhelmed. That's what I've seen. Offense inept ability to make passes or gain zone entry on the powerplay

The Coyotes did not have single shot on the first two powerplays. Also, not just power play but penalty kill. Need to stay out of the box and when PK is needed it has to be better. I am sure it will come along.

lackluster start from guys like Yandle, Doan, Ribeiro, etc. makes this team looks like ****.
I think Doan was much better this game than last. Almost had a goal but went off the post. Ribeiro looks good but everyone around him doesn't look like they are on the same page he is on. Honestly, I think Ribeiro has been one of the better players but has no support. I have not seen enough of Yandle...which is not good. He needs to step it up and I am sure he will soon.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
On the side of glimmers of hope...That wasn't a meaningless run that was the start the the team getting on track. The short season cut it off. The same exact thing the team has always done under Tippet. Team is mediocre in the first month, heats up a bit, then it starts to look really bad.

But then in Feb/March the team explodes. We saw the beginning of that last season and it was cut off by a 48 game schedule.

The Coyotes combined record in February and March in non-shortened seasons is 48-21-8 since Tippet. That's fantastic, and what we missed out on last year.

Another pattern, save for 2009-2010 the first month of the season has been mediocre. Then the second month quite good. Then everyone panics around December cause the team starts taking a dump.

Month 1 Record over the last 3 years: 10-11-6

Month 2 record over the last 3 years: 23-11-5

Month 3 record over the last 3 years: 17-22-6

This is literally the Dave Tippet team MO. If the team is still floundering in the second week of November call me then and I'll gladly get crazy over it.

Funny, whenever I hear Tippet at the beginning of the year, he talks about the importance of getting off to a good start. Guess he's bluffing then.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's hard to win in this league with so little talent.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The Coyotes did not have single shot on the first two powerplays.

That was painful to watch. Offensive pressure and possessing the puck has been a problem for years and looks like it will again this season. Still hoping for a trade for a scoring forward to play on the top line. Korpi is terribly miscast there and still not sure if Boeds fits on Hanzal's line. I like the bottom two lines and think they can both get better as they play together. The right deal or maybe even two deals could really put this forward group over the top. I'm not expecting stars. Just a guy or two that fits the role we need could make everyone on all 4 lines more effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad