GDT: Game 3: Phoenix Coyotes @ New York Islanders 10-8-13 | 4PM Arizona Time

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Toronto made the playoffs last year, Islanders almost beat the Penguins in the playoffs. A short season is nothing to base a coach's career on. Dave Tippett is 2nd to Babcock in most games won since 2004. If the Coyotes fire Tippett I will put your kids, and your kid's kids through college.

You must be well heeled!:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What a miserable team. A complete embarrassment. Too many passengers on this team. Tyson Nash is so damn annoying. That guy needs to beat it.

I think Nash is pretty damn good. He has really improved over the last few years.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
That was painful to watch. Offensive pressure and possessing the puck has been a problem for years and looks like it will again this season. Still hoping for a trade for a scoring forward to play on the top line. Korpi is terribly miscast there and still not sure if Boeds fits on Hanzal's line. I like the bottom two lines and think they can both get better as they play together. The right deal or maybe even two deals could really put this forward group over the top. I'm not expecting stars. Just a guy or two that fits the role we need could make everyone on all 4 lines more effective.

This is where GMDM dropped the ball in the offseason. He signed Ribeiro and called it a summer. For those who follow the yotes closely, we knew that only meant 1/3 of a top line - Doan and Korpi are not front line players - and leaves a gaping hole on the 2nd line. DM needed to pick up another body: UFA Raymond, Boyes, Grabovski or someone via trade. Otherwise, we could have kept Domi up here and crossed our fingers.

This was a risky play to go into the season with 2 top-6 forwards. The experiment, as many of us predicted, is failing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This is where GMDM dropped the ball in the offseason. He signed Ribeiro and called it a summer. For those who follow the yotes closely, we knew that only meant 1/3 of a top line - Doan and Korpi are not front line players - and leaves a gaping hole on the 2nd line. DM needed to pick up another body: UFA Raymond, Boyes, Grabovski or someone via trade. Otherwise, we could have kept Domi up here and crossed our fingers.

This was a risky play to go into the season with 2 top-6 forwards. The experiment, as many of us predicted, is failing.

Well, that is a 100% increase in top 6 forwards according to your math from last year. I think the team is missing the stable D in Klesla and now Dmo on games like tonight or San Jose. I know everyone is gaga over Runblad, but he has consistent defensive lapses. He will be the odd man out once Klesla and Dmo are healthy. Ribs has more talent in Dallas and a lot more talent in Washington to work with. Ribs off to a slow start does not surprise me, once chemistry picks up, he will be better. It does look like we miss Gordon on the penalty kill too.

I saw way too many turnovers at the blue line entry. It seems we are trying to be too fancy, rather then dump, chase, and forecheck. The team identity is solid responsible D with a forecheck that causes turnovers to create scoring chances. The problem now is not another top 6 forward, it is hard work and sticking to the team identity. Tip will figure this out, no time to panic at all...

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I think Nash is pretty damn good. He has really improved over the last few years.

I think he's miserable. Says the same exact stuff and it's never funny. Also sounds like he has a clothes pin stuck to his nose, not to mention extremely bias.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just be happy this is happening now and not later in the season.

Counts the same. Everyone was all hyped to start the season with the ownership crap settled, everyone healthy and back etc... what a total dud. Same struggling Coyote team from last year.

Eventually the coaching staff is going to run out of things to throw at the wall (Korpi on the top line? Really?) and Maloney will be forced to do something.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Oh man, I hit up Don't Tell Me The Score after work, looking forward to some highlights without knowing the outcome, and .. damn, that was sickening. I hope they covered some ground in their closed door meeting.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Counts the same. Everyone was all hyped to start the season with the ownership crap settled, everyone healthy and back etc... what a total dud. Same struggling Coyote team from last year.

Eventually the coaching staff is going to run out of things to throw at the wall (Korpi on the top line? Really?) and Maloney will be forced to do something.

Exactly. I mean they're not even grinding it out along the boards. The 4th line with Lessio, Brown and Chipchura actually looked effective a couple shifts because they were grinding it out!

I hope a trade comes soon.

Also, I don't get the hate for Rundblad. He's been playing better than any other defenseman in my opinion. That probably isn't saying much, but I don't think he deserves all the hate.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

What did you expect? This is almost the same team as last year. We added Ribs, but lost Gordon, who I think we miss more than we know.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly. I mean they're not even grinding it out along the boards. The 4th line with Lessio, Brown and Chipchura actually looked effective a couple shifts because they were grinding it out!

I hope a trade comes soon.

Also, I don't get the hate for Rundblad. He's been playing better than any other defenseman in my opinion. That probably isn't saying much, but I don't think he deserves all the hate.

He's young and will make mistakes. The more he plays the better he will get.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The fans are expecting more this year, which is good. No more excuses or free passes, and this includes DM and Tipp.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he's miserable. Says the same exact stuff and it's never funny. Also sounds like he has a clothes pin stuck to his nose, not to mention extremely bias.

Holly Jumpin! Sound familiar? Pang is one of he better color man in hockey, but he can get on your nerves and is extremely bias.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There should be a drinking game for how often McConnell adds a "ll" to a player's name.

Smith'll shoot the puck up the ice.
Doan'll knock him into the boards.
Vrbata'll grab the puck behind the net.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
On a positive note, both Hanzal and Klinkhammer had awesome games. They looked great.

Everyone else is a piece of trash, though. Pathetic showing after having been humiliated just days prior. It's completely unacceptable.

Shane Doan has been in this league to long to punch someone directly on top of the helmet. Get your head out of your ass Shane.

I think Schlemko is losing a spot. I don't know if it's rust, or what, but he seems to have regressed tremendously in quickness and especially decision making. Stone was not without mistakes, but he also brought an impressive amount of physical play and that shot of his is tremendous. That's just plain more to offer than Schlemko, so far. If Newell Brown continues to use Schlemko on that power play, I'm going to scratch my eyes right out of my face.

Speaking of the power play, why can't this coaching staff recognize the efforts of Chris Brown. Since Keith Tkachuk left, we've had exactly two players willing to provide an effective screen in front of the opposition goaltender on the man advantage. Those two players are Martin Hanzal and Chris Brown. This has seriously been a glaring hole in our line-up for my entire adult life.

The only players that have been the least bit helpful in establishing a forecheck are Hanzal, Vermette, Moss, Lessio, Klinkhammer, Chipchura, and Brown. Every single other forward on the team has been basically useless in contributing to sustained offensive pressure.

I'd like to see this tried out...

Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan (this has to be FORCED to work, it's the only hope we have)
Klinkhammer-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Lessio-Chipchura-Brown (VERY limited ice time because that top line MUST get tons of time until they click - top line double shift until they do SOMETHING - I want Doan to skate until his ****ing legs fall off - maybe we can trick his body into thinking it's December so he shows up)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Brutal, awful, terrible game. I thought most of the goals against came from lapses, as opposed to anything sustained, though. The Coyotes deserved to lose this one, but I think the score could have been a lot closer.

Some bright spots:

• Boedker seems like a good fit with Hanzal and Vrbata. I want to give this line some time to gel.
  • Ribeiro still looks discombobulated out there. I hope he finds his place soon.
  • After OEL (who doesn't seem like himself), I think Rundblad has been the best Coyotes defenseman through the first three games.
  • Still not seeing top six upside in Lessio (just doesn't seem to have the hands) but I love his energy out there.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles

Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan (this has to be FORCED to work, it's the only hope we have)
Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Lessio-Chipchura-Brown (VERY limited ice time because that top line MUST get tons of time until they click - top line double shift until they do SOMETHING - I want Doan to skate until his ****ing legs fall off - maybe we can trick his body into thinking it's December so he shows up)

Mark my words, this will not work

We have seen it time and time again - Doan does not gel with playmaking centers. If he ever did, he would have more than 1 30-goal season to show for it. He is a third-liner capable of potting 20 in a good season, that's it. He does not create chances, he does not skate well, he is not creative. We are crippling Ribeiro and the question is, how much longer do we maintain this insanity? Do we want another Jokinen, who we have to trade away mid-way through the season? Does Ribeiro have a NTC? Are we going to buy him out because of our loyalities to Doan? Does this franchise have to continue suffering because of our unfailing loyalty to Doan? We're talking 3 more years of this madness.

What do we do next year, do we play Max Domi with Doan and ruin him for life also. We tried Turris, we tried Mueller, we tried Wolski, we tried Jokinen, we tried Lombardi, we tried Vermette, we tried Hanzal, we tried Reinprecht, we tried Briere, we tried Gratton, we tried Amonte, we tried Langkow, yanic perrault, Belanger, Mike Comrie, Briere, Handzus, Krys Kolanos, Robert Lang, etc, etc, etc.

Do you see a pattern here? None of these players were able to turn Doan into a first line player capable of scoring 30 on a regular basis. All of them but Hanzal and Vermette (not yet) were shipped out of here.

When will this madness end? Put Doan on the third line and (maybe) second PP unit and move on.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Holly Jumpin! Sound familiar? Pang is one of he better color man in hockey, but he can get on your nerves and is extremely bias.

Yeah I hear ya brotha. Hope I didn't come off like a ***** last night either. Frustrating to be as excited for this team only to see them **** the bed in back to back games.

Still don't like Nash though, haha.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon

Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
I'd like to see more of Boedker with the Czechs, but the poster earlier who suggested Ribeiro skate with Brown has lost his mind. Ribeiro is a 1C, he's a funky one who'll blow hot and cold. Two bad penalties last night (one of them shouldn't have been called) and invisible games will happen, but we're not going to get $5m worth of production out of him unless he's skating with Doan / Boedker / Korpikoski / Vrbata / Hanzal. Ribeiro and Brown and Klinkhammer and Moss don't belong on the ice together at even strength.

I don't think double-shifting our 37-year-old captain in October is the right way to build chemistry; that'll happen in practice at about the same rate it happens in the game. However, double-shifting our 37-year-old captain and burying Brown and Lessio on the bench for all but 6 minutes a game IS a good way to ensure they never develop into anything.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
On a positive note, both Hanzal and Klinkhammer had awesome games. They looked great.

Everyone else is a piece of trash, though. Pathetic showing after having been humiliated just days prior. It's completely unacceptable.

Shane Doan has been in this league to long to punch someone directly on top of the helmet. Get your head out of your ass Shane.

I think Schlemko is losing a spot. I don't know if it's rust, or what, but he seems to have regressed tremendously in quickness and especially decision making. Stone was not without mistakes, but he also brought an impressive amount of physical play and that shot of his is tremendous. That's just plain more to offer than Schlemko, so far. If Newell Brown continues to use Schlemko on that power play, I'm going to scratch my eyes right out of my face.

Speaking of the power play, why can't this coaching staff recognize the efforts of Chris Brown. Since Keith Tkachuk left, we've had exactly two players willing to provide an effective screen in front of the opposition goaltender on the man advantage. Those two players are Martin Hanzal and Chris Brown. This has seriously been a glaring hole in our line-up for my entire adult life.

The only players that have been the least bit helpful in establishing a forecheck are Hanzal, Vermette, Moss, Lessio, Klinkhammer, Chipchura, and Brown. Every single other forward on the team has been basically useless in contributing to sustained offensive pressure.

Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss

I agree with what your are saying. Schlemko has really disappointed me with his play this year. I like your line up, but I would also try and switch Doan and Vrbata. Klinkhammer's hustle might rub off on Doan.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
People, step back from the ledge and take the noose from around your necks. It's three games in, have they looked really bad the last two games? Yes, but two years ago (our WC Finals run), after the first six games our record was 2-4, with the GF being 15 and the GA being 18.

My biggest concern is this: "I will say though that despite how bad our play has been as of late, I will say that the scheduling is a ****ing joke early on. Why did we start the season 1 game at home and now we have a road trip shortly after? Be ****ing consistent please! Either have us start the 1st few games straight at home or on the road." As I always tell the wife, "It's all about points- early on."

Jeez, one game at home and then the next 6 out of 7 on the road- WOW and WTF??!! This at least will tell us how much fortitude we have...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Mark my words, this will not work

We have seen it time and time again - Doan does not gel with playmaking centers. If he ever did, he would have more than 1 30-goal season to show for it. He is a third-liner capable of potting 20 in a good season, that's it. He does not create chances, he does not skate well, he is not creative. We are crippling Ribeiro and the question is, how much longer do we maintain this insanity? Do we want another Jokinen, who we have to trade away mid-way through the season? Does Ribeiro have a NTC? Are we going to buy him out because of our loyalities to Doan? Does this franchise have to continue suffering because of our unfailing loyalty to Doan? We're talking 3 more years of this madness.

What do we do next year, do we play Max Domi with Doan and ruin him for life also. We tried Turris, we tried Mueller, we tried Wolski, we tried Jokinen, we tried Lombardi, we tried Vermette, we tried Hanzal, we tried Reinprecht, we tried Briere, we tried Gratton, we tried Amonte, we tried Langkow, yanic perrault, Belanger, Mike Comrie, Briere, Handzus, Krys Kolanos, Robert Lang, etc, etc, etc.

Do you see a pattern here? None of these players were able to turn Doan into a first line player capable of scoring 30 on a regular basis. All of them but Hanzal and Vermette (not yet) were shipped out of here.

When will this madness end? Put Doan on the third line and (maybe) second PP unit and move on.

I agree that Doan's loyalty to the Coyotes has given him some slack for his lack of production. Other players would have either been moved down a line or two or scratched if they were playing the way Doan has been playing. But this isn't all Shane's fault, as there are other veterans on this team not putting in a effort.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah I hear ya brotha. Hope I didn't come off like a ***** last night either. Frustrating to be as excited for this team only to see them **** the bed in back to back games.

Still don't like Nash though, haha.

No you didn't, everyone has their own opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad