GDT: Game 3: Phoenix Coyotes @ New York Islanders 10-8-13 | 4PM Arizona Time

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I keep reading this, yet the stats don't really back that up. Ribiero led the Stars in scoring 2 out of the 3 seasons he played under Tippett. During that time, only two Stars wingers cracked 30 goals (Morrow in 2007-2008, Eriksson during his breakout season in 2008-2009), while another 4 (Lehtinen, Modano, Hagman, and a younger James Neal) cracked 20 goals. Lehtinen and Modano were wearing down in the twilight of their careers, while Hagman isn't even in the NHL anymore. Morrow meanwhile hasn't come remotely close to replicating his 74 point season since.

IMO, the only real talent upgrades those Stars rosters had at forward over us were Richards and Eriksson, and Richards obviously didn't play with Ribs. Eriksson is of course a great two-way winger who's good for 70-ish points, but Boedker is a similar type of player with a similar ceiling (if not slightly lower). I would say that our blueline is a lot better with the Zubov-esque Yandle and OEL.

Overall, though, Dallas under Tippett relied as much on scoring-by-committee as we have under Tippett. Their depth scoring was probably better, but our bottom 6 hasn't really been a problem so far and is certainly capable of lighting the lamp as well.

I think you keep reading it because it's true (this coming from a guy who generally believes the masses are ignorant fools). Boedker has shown little ability to finish and Doan too often bumbles - neither have a strong sense of going to where the puck will be, or finding "happy" quiet places to score from, although Doan has shown more prowess for the latter over his albeit longer career.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I completely and respectfully disagree. Sure he has some highlights, but his propensity has been to get there and not finish.

Yeah well, feel free to totally write him off. Considering this is going to be his first full season in a top 6 role, I'm not going to.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah well, feel free to totally write him off. Considering this is going to be his first full season in a top 6 role, I'm not going to.

Oh hell no, I'm not by any means going to write him off. I just don't think he's first line material yet - hell he may never be, but that doesn't mean I'm going to write him off. This is all just conversation, that amounts to diddly squat in the real wold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad