Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 - Pens v. Bruins | Let's turn this around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I actually would like to see Bennett in the lineup not for his raw ability (which is impressive) but for the other elements he consistently seems to bring. Were I confident that he'd get some decent shifts on Malkin's line... I'd want him in the lineup even more. Because he, Neal and Geno seem like a really, really good combination. But I won't depress anyone by expounding on their virtues as a line any further.

As for your second point... I guess I can't help but agree. It's no secret that there isn't much actual instruction going on with this team. It took the coaching staff something like two years to tell Letang to make it a point to work on his shot.

I just remember writing a few months ago that Bylsma is **** when it comes to working with young players, especially young players with some talent, and getting kind of slammed for it. BUT, as I said, when you look even (or especially) at Sid, Geno, and Letang, it's just so evident and makes me worried about how the next generation of young talent will be handled (or actually already is being handled).

As for 19-71-18, there were few times during the regular season where Geno looked like Geno. The two games where they were together-- against Philly and Toronto, teams against whom Geno typically struggles-- were that time. Sadly, Geno suffered the shoulder injury and, by the time he returned, it was Morrow for a game and then Iginla. Sadder thing is that he genuinely seemed to like playing with Bennett, and why not? Super smart. Knew when to distribute. Would get in there and win puck battles.

Alas, as with most things the last three and a half years, what might have been . . .

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Shizno, *YOU* have a better chance of stealing a game than Fleury.

He's Steve Blass, 40 years later. His career is basically over, he just hasn't fully realized it yet.

He has no chance to steal a win. None.

Fleury proponents are like Tebow fans. They're convinced that his has more ability than he does just because of some fluky success he had a few years ago.

It is really a strange phenomenon.

Eh IMO he'll be a poorer man's Theodore or a backup on a rebuilding team on the cheap.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Although I get that everyone's down and optimism is hard to come by right now, I think people are underestimating the very real possibility that this could happen. If there was ever a roster that is capable of catching fire and rattling off 4 straight, it's this one. We have the guys that can completely take over games and sometimes all it takes is one good period.

Yep, although I think that's the only way we win this series. Boston is too good of a team top to bottom and Julien is a much better coach than DB. One of those guys needs to play at a level higher than anyone else on the ice, if not both. Of course, I could be wrong and DB will rearrange the top-9, but history does not indicate that will happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hoping one of the best two players in the world goes off for four straight games. Don't really have faith in Bylsma fielding an advantageous lineup or adjusting to the bruins style of play.

If Fleury is in, I'm betting on the Bruins. I could use some easy cash. Probably the over/under too. Over, obviously.

The latter makes the former infinitely more unlikely.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, but if he and Jeffrey are skating by themselves and everyone else is on a line, I find it hard to believe BB is in the line-up.

Unless DB has mistaken being secretive for being smart.

He did that long ago.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
@MolinariPG Penguins showed a predictable line or two, like 14-87-9, but also showed Bennett-Murray-Engelland, which is a, uh, longshot for Game 2.

So technically Bennett WAS on a line...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@MolinariPG Penguins showed a predictable line or two, like 14-87-9, but also showed Bennett-Murray-Engelland, which is a, uh, longshot for Game 2.

The only things missing are playoff mustache boy and burrito eating contests. :help:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The only things missing are playoff mustache boy and burrito eating contests. :help:

Maybe the changes Bylsma promised is to dress 8 dmen and Bennett. That was really our newly constructed 4th line! Stanley Cup here we come!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Nah... they're gonna HS Malkin. That's their big lineup change.

Second line now centered by Adams.

No chance. Not a chance in ****. I mean, think of how stupid the coach would have to be. STRETCH PASS. No, really, can you honestly see Bylsma doing that. IGGY LW. STRETCH PASS. I don't care what this guy says . . .

Bylsma is a ****ing joke

No chance Bylsma does throw caution to the wind with the personnel choices and the adjustments. This guy is a Jack Adams coach. STRETCH PASS.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe the changes Bylsma promised is to dress 8 dmen and Bennett. That was really our newly constructed 4th line! Stanley Cup here we come!

IMO, any fourth line with Bennett > any fourth line that Bylsma has constructed without him.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
We need his physicality 10 minutes after somebody passes the puck.

I just don't understand why they don't realize they need sustained pressure. It seems as though they only want scoring off the rush. Just doesn't happen against good teams in the playoffs. I feel like I am watching the mid 90s team. Let's just bring in Hatcher while we're at it.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
I just don't understand why they don't realize they need sustained pressure. It seems as though they only want scoring off the rush. Just doesn't happen against good teams in the playoffs. I feel like I am watching the mid 90s team. Let's just bring in Hatcher while we're at it.

That's DB's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad