Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 - Pens v. Bruins | Let's turn this around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Is it better to bow out relatively quietly or fake your way to an embarrassing flop on a much grander stage?

I'm not advocating either. Just throwin' that out there.

Eh I don't think any other team would've beaten the Pens, maybe Toronto I guess. Most others had fatal flaws that the Pens could take advantage of. Boston is the most balanced across the board which is the way it should be for the team to win a conference.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eh I don't think any other team would've beaten the Pens, maybe Toronto I guess. Most others had fatal flaws that the Pens could take advantage of. Boston is the most balanced across the board which is the way it should be for the team to win a conference.

Yeah... they deserve what they're going to get. Both teams.

the Penguins simply bought wholesale into their own stinky brand... yet again. Thought they could flip a switch. The "arrogant" claim may actually have some merit, as much as it pains me to potentially agree with Torts.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm honestly hoping it's Fleury tonight. I'm convinced the only way we can turn this around is with our goaltender stealing us a game in Boston. I just don't know that Vokoun can do that--and at least Fleury has a record of doing it when he is on.

And before people start telling me how much Fleury stinks, at this point you just gotta have hope.

Wait, name a game this playoffs where Fleury has shown he could do that? Vokoun has given this team a chance to win every game except the last where the entire team gave up.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I'm honestly hoping it's Fleury tonight. I'm convinced the only way we can turn this around is with our goaltender stealing us a game in Boston. I just don't know that Vokoun can do that--and at least Fleury has a record of doing it when he is on.

And before people start telling me how much Fleury stinks, at this point you just gotta have hope.
This is true, actually. Vokoun seems to stumble his way through a game without making too many mistakes, but if Fleury's on, he can totally steal a game. I don't see Vokoun doing that at this stage in his career.

Grandma Bingo

May 14, 2013

Fleury hasn't stolen a game since game 6 of the finals in 2009. Over 1300 days ago.

Vokoun stole game 6 against the Islanders less than a month ago.

And Vokoun isn't mentally a hot steaming mess right now.

Forget Fleury's Penguin career. His NHL career might be over.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is true, actually. Vokoun seems to stumble his way through a game without making too many mistakes, but if Fleury's on, he can totally steal a game. I don't see Vokoun doing that at this stage in his career.

Vokoun has already stolen a game in these playoffs.

This will sound harsh but I have hope... that Fleury doesn't come anywhere near the crease for the rest of his hopefully-short time as a Penguin. The guy's switch is permanently stuck on auto-fail. Why people can't seem to see that is beyond me. It's Vokoun or nothing. Stark reality.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
I would probably go with Fleury too, this ship is sunk, give him a shot to redeem it and if he can't steal us a game (Let's face it, unless our stars can suddenly turn it on [and their supporting cast] we are going to need a goalie to steal us some games).

I agree IF (and thats a big IF at this point) our team can get it's **** together defensively and know WHEN to pinch then Vokoun is the better choice, but you can't know for sure what team is going to show up.

If we lose we can blame Sid just as much as our goalies. God this is so depressing, this is such a ****storm from top to bottom.

I still can't get over how Matt Cooke the "guy who shouldn't even be in the NHL" is our best player night in and out in the playoffs...is this real life?!?

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I'd go with Vokoun tonight. He's been great up until the last two games but neither one is really on him.

I'm going to be listening to the radio feed for this one. Hoping for something along the lines of the 10-3 game from last year. Even if they wind up dropping the series, it would be nice to have a statement game or two or three before then.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
Fleury hasn't stolen a game since game 6 of the finals in 2009. Over 1300 days ago.

Vokoun stole game 6 against the Islanders less than a month ago.

And Vokoun isn't mentally a hot steaming mess right now.

Forget Fleury's Penguin career. His NHL career might be over.

Vokoun didn't steal game 6, Malkin took game 6 into his own hands. Vokoun just made the saves he needed to and the odd big save. I would only consider 1 goal games or shutouts "stolen" by the goalie. (See Queen Henry, that is stealing games)

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
What Fleury did in game 3 when he came in for Vokoun should have convinced everyone that he's awful and has to go away.

We all gave him the benefit of the doubt after last year's playoff debacle. After this year, some people still couldn't grasp the reality. If they can't after what happened on Monday night, then they probably never will.

Don't throw the entire season away by starting MAF.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Hoping one of the best two players in the world goes off for four straight games. Don't really have faith in Bylsma fielding an advantageous lineup or adjusting to the bruins style of play.

If Fleury is in, I'm betting on the Bruins. I could use some easy cash. Probably the over/under too. Over, obviously.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
There's is nothing to suggest that because MAF has massive lows that he has equally massive highs. If this were so, he would have a higher percentage of shut-outs, 1 goal games than the normal goalie. He doesn't, it's actually the opposite. In the last 5 years, (didn't look back further), he hasn't been higher than 20th in the league in shutouts in any season. Think about that, 20th in a league of 30 teams is the highest. Vokoun has more shutouts than MAF this year.

MAF doesn't have some incredibly high ceiling just because he's prone to extreme valleys and was the 1(1) pick 10 years ago. Vokoun is simply a better goalie and playing MAF should be grounds enough for DB to be fired during the series.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Vokoun didn't steal game 6, Malkin took game 6 into his own hands. Vokoun just made the saves he needed to and the odd big save. I would only consider 1 goal games or shutouts "stolen" by the goalie. (See Queen Henry, that is stealing games)

When your team is still being outplayed even in a playoff OT and your goalie makes saves and you somehow win, your goalie has stolen a game.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
@pgshelly So FWIW, #Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Cooke-Sutter-Neal Morrow-Jokinen-Adams Glass-Vitale-Kennedy (Bennett, Jeffrey)

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Bennett not even on a practice line.

**** off DB. I hope you start MAF too.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
I'd go with Vokoun tonight. He's been great up until the last two games but neither one is really on him.

I'm going to be listening to the radio feed for this one. Hoping for something along the lines of the 10-3 game from last year. Even if they wind up dropping the series, it would be nice to have a statement game or two or three before then.

A blowout win and then a series loss will be just as disappointing as last year, it gets your hopes up for nothing and a blowout single win proves absolutely nothing, infact it's worse because it leaves you open to wondering "what if" or reaching for excuses.

The biggest thing that kills me (outside of Sid missing the Art for nothing) is that this organizations rep is going to take another hit. I can't see any players taking discounts or choosing to come here any more. Our stars will get a rep for not coming through when it matters (I would probably disagree but it'll be more evidence for them making this case) and I don't know that we ever will have a team this stacked again.

Rawrrrr they need to just win tonight and see what happens in game 4.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
When your team is still being outplayed even in a playoff OT and your goalie makes saves and you somehow win, your goalie has stolen a game.

Oh yeah I forgot when Vokoun got the tying goal to send us into OT. Silly meee

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Hoping one of the best two players in the world goes off for four straight games. Don't really have faith in Bylsma fielding an advantageous lineup or adjusting to the bruins style of play.

If Fleury is in, I'm betting on the Bruins. I could use some easy cash. Probably the over/under too. Over, obviously.

Although I get that everyone's down and optimism is hard to come by right now, I think people are underestimating the very real possibility that this could happen. If there was ever a roster that is capable of catching fire and rattling off 4 straight, it's this one. We have the guys that can completely take over games and sometimes all it takes is one good period.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
No Iginla or Malkin at practice.

Still it doesn't look good.

Yeah, but if he and Jeffrey are skating by themselves and everyone else is on a line, I find it hard to believe BB is in the line-up.

Unless DB has mistaken being secretive for being smart.

Grandma Bingo

May 14, 2013
I would probably go with Fleury too, this ship is sunk, give him a shot to redeem it and if he can't steal us a game (Let's face it, unless our stars can suddenly turn it on [and their supporting cast] we are going to need a goalie to steal us some games).

I agree IF (and thats a big IF at this point) our team can get it's **** together defensively and know WHEN to pinch then Vokoun is the better choice, but you can't know for sure what team is going to show up.

If we lose we can blame Sid just as much as our goalies. God this is so depressing, this is such a ****storm from top to bottom.

I still can't get over how Matt Cooke the "guy who shouldn't even be in the NHL" is our best player night in and out in the playoffs...is this real life?!?

Shizno, *YOU* have a better chance of stealing a game than Fleury.

He. Can't. Play. Goalie. Anymore.

That's like asking Elvis to perform at Caesar's tonight. He's DEAD. It is literally impossible.

Ron Cook and selected Pens fans have this image of Fleury from game 7 four years ago locked in their brains. It is like the past four years doesn't exist.

Fleury bears no resemblance whatsoever to that guy who was wearing #29 at Joe Louis arena four years ago.

Might as well start Frankie Pietrangelo tonight based on memories of "the save" in 1991 vs the Devils.

Fleury has lost "it". How many times in a row over four years does he have to demonstrate this to some people before they get it?

He's Steve Blass, 40 years later. His career is basically over, he just hasn't fully realized it yet.

He has no chance to steal a win. None.

Fleury proponents are like Tebow fans. They're convinced that his has more ability than he does just because of some fluky success he had a few years ago.

It is really a strange phenomenon.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We don't need a goalie to steal anything. That's not how this team is built. I refuse to believe our big dogs are just going to lie down here without a fight. I don't care if the real Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are coaching us, it's time for our big boys to show why they're the best at what they do.

The Maple Leafs were able to sustain offensive-zone time IN BOSTON, but we can't?

On a team with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Jarome Iginla, et al, we're only going to score one goal per game? What?

We as fans are mad. They should be at LEAST twice as mad, and show it tonight. Arrogant Penguins? Go out and show why the moniker began in the first place.

Iginla and Morrow came here to win a Cup...well?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Although I get that everyone's down and optimism is hard to come by right now, I think people are underestimating the very real possibility that this could happen. If there was ever a roster that is capable of catching fire and rattling off 4 straight, it's this one. We have the guys that can completely take over games and sometimes all it takes is one good period.

Yeah everyone was waiting for that last year against a far inferior defense and goalie and it still only happened one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad