Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 - Pens v. Bruins | Let's turn this around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
the media has really lost the plot on this one. i cant believe that it was even a discussion as fleury was legit terrible in game 2. that 4th goal shouldve been an easy save for a confident goalie and was another of his patented daggers. granted goal #5 was totally not fleury's fault, but he did little else to inspire confidence and at this point has a shoddy track record.

2008-09 are a long time ago at this point. hell, tom barrasso once won game 7s, but i dont see lots of clamoring for bringing him out of retirement

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Starting Fleury would have smacked of the worse kind of desperation.

Can't anyone see that the guy is completely ****ing broken? The man had absolutely NO interest in playing goal on Monday and it showed on Marchand's goal.

Can you imagine him on the road with the fans losing their minds the second he lets in a bad goal? The game would be over right then and there.

Agree.

Now we'll see if Coach Clueless finally got a clue when it comes to dressing his 18 best forwards and defensemen and putting them together in appropriate combinations.

My bottle is saved for that. ;)

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
Starting Fleury would have smacked of the worse kind of desperation.

Can't anyone see that the guy is completely ****ing broken? The man had absolutely NO interest in playing goal on Monday and it showed on Marchand's goal.

Can you imagine him on the road with the fans losing their minds the second he lets in a bad goal? The game would be over right then and there.

...and seriously, we all know there will be a bad goal. There is always atleast one bad goal. the Truth is all goalies give up bad goals, Fleury just doesn't recover from them. Vokoun gives up bad goals. he just put it behind him. Rask gives up bad goals. He is just able tomove on. Fleury's body language and the pling on, you can just tell he is waiting for the next bad goal.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Honestly, Im not opposed to Cooke moving up with Geno/Neal. Hes been damn good this postseason. Making plays and moving his feet. And I think Iggy and Morrow can help get Sutter going offensively. Would rather have Jokinen centering them but I doubt that happens.

Sid's line better be dynamite or it should be broken up for good. It hasn't done **** in the postseason. Which is the reason why many of us wanted scoring depth at the deadline.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Frankly I don't think it matters much who he plays or sits. If Dan can't get them to play as a cohesive team with an identity and make some adjustments to his system to cater it to play against Boston then we are done anyways. In other words we are most likely done.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Lol at people I follow on Twitter saying they would start Fleury. This one guy thinks Fleury would have come up clutch on Marchand's breakaway in game 2 because he's always been a clutch player.

It's like people don't even watch the games.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh absolutely. I'm not saying there aren't things to be done to help our chances(the Kunitz/Iginla swap should be a no brainer), I just think any hope we have ultimately rests in our best players' hands. Geno and Sid will have to take this one over.

Here's the problem though: Sid's been just bad. But, Geno was absolutely flying in game one. Came out flying in game two. And, it was STRETCH PASS, STRETCH PASS, STRETCH PASS, and STRETCH PASS, with IGGY FLUB, IGGY FLUB, and IGGY FLUB in between. So, you're going balls to the wall against a great team that is cheating to take away what you're going to do because they know your team is going to do it. It's hard enough to ask Sid or Geno to go God mode and overcome the Bruins. You're asking them to go God mode and overcome the Bruins AND Bylsma. It's only instinctive for a player, any player, to at some point say 'this is horse****' and let up, which is what IMO happened to Malkin in the second on Monday after Iginla's fourth flubbed one touch pass in like a 4-5 minute span.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
We don't need a goalie to steal anything. That's not how this team is built. I refuse to believe our big dogs are just going to lie down here without a fight. I don't care if the real Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are coaching us, it's time for our big boys to show why they're the best at what they do.

The Maple Leafs were able to sustain offensive-zone time IN BOSTON, but we can't?

On a team with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Jarome Iginla, et al, we're only going to score one goal per game? What?

We as fans are mad. They should be at LEAST twice as mad, and show it tonight. Arrogant Penguins? Go out and show why the moniker began in the first place.

Iginla and Morrow came here to win a Cup...well?

There IT IS! I could care less who is in goal tonight. It's about time some of these "men" start playing like it in front of these guys. Rask has been good, but the team playing in front of him has made him better.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, Im not opposed to Cooke moving up with Geno/Neal. Hes been damn good this postseason. Making plays and moving his feet. And I think Iggy and Morrow can help get Sutter going offensively. Would rather have Jokinen centering them but I doubt that happens.

Sid's line better be dynamite or it should be broken up for good. It hasn't done **** in the postseason. Which is the reason why many of us wanted scoring depth at the deadline.

At this point, I'm in favor of anyone but Iginla, Glass, or Adams on that LW, so Cooke will be fine.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Lol at people I follow on Twitter saying they would start Fleury. This one guy thinks Fleury would have come up clutch on Marchand's breakaway in game 2 because he's always been a clutch player.

It's like people don't even watch the games.

Tweet him back asking how clutch he was on Marchand's second goal.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
the media has really lost the plot on this one. i cant believe that it was even a discussion as fleury was legit terrible in game 2. that 4th goal shouldve been an easy save for a confident goalie and was another of his patented daggers. granted goal #5 was totally not fleury's fault, but he did little else to inspire confidence and at this point has a shoddy track record.

2008-09 are a long time ago at this point. hell, tom barrasso once won game 7s, but i dont see lots of clamoring for bringing him out of retirement

ya, I was hoping Fleury coming in would be a spark. But really, he was just kept the crease warm. He should have been licking his chops. He should have been ready for a fast game. He said he was taken off guard by how fast the game was. Not the exact quote but you get my point.

His commonts about his performance show he is not there mentally. He should be like NO FEAR. What does he have to lose? He really had no pressure. He still let in 2 very save-able goals.

There was no Chop Licking

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We don't need a goalie to steal anything. That's not how this team is built. I refuse to believe our big dogs are just going to lie down here without a fight. I don't care if the real Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are coaching us, it's time for our big boys to show why they're the best at what they do.

The Maple Leafs were able to sustain offensive-zone time IN BOSTON, but we can't?

On a team with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Jarome Iginla, et al, we're only going to score one goal per game? What?

We as fans are mad. They should be at LEAST twice as mad, and show it tonight. Arrogant Penguins? Go out and show why the moniker began in the first place.

Well said Jags, couldn't have said it better

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
There IT IS! I could care less who is in goal tonight. It's about time some of these "men" start playing like it in front of these guys. Rask has been good, but the team playing in front of him has made him better.

really need to see guys like iginla up their compete level and start playing less of a perimeter game. that would be some of the 'leadership' this group really needs and would hopefully generate some greasy goals.

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
Wait, name a game this playoffs where Fleury has shown he could do that? Vokoun has given this team a chance to win every game except the last where the entire team gave up.

Name a game Vokoun has "stolen" this playoffs. My point was Fleury has shown he can do it in the past, and past would theoretically include beyond these playoffs. I'm just not convinced Vokoun has the ability to do it.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Name a game Vokoun has "stolen" this playoffs. My point was Fleury has shown he can do it in the past, and past would theoretically include beyond these playoffs. I'm just not convinced Vokoun has the ability to do it.

this team isnt about stealing games by the goalie as it doesnt ice a superstar at that position. instead the pens are presently constructed on the idea that the goalie needs to make a few big saves along with the easy ones as not to GIVE the game away. keeping whats yours rather than stealing from someone else if you will.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

Game 6 against the Isles, Pens honestly had no business winning that one.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Yeah, Fleury can steal games. But he can also (and is more prone to) costing us games.

You can't risk that in the playoffs. You just can't. I'd rather go with the sure, steady thing than a wild card.

Moebius

Aug 16, 2011

Jesus, take your head out of your ass. Fleury has only stolen the right to play, nothing else. This guy deserves nothing, because he can't even save an unscreened, glove side wrist shot when his team needs it most.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87

We just need to get to our game :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, Fleury can steal games. But he can also (and is more prone to) costing us games.

You can't risk that in the playoffs. You just can't. I'd rather go with the sure, steady thing than a wild card.

Fleury's done quite a bit more of stealing playoff paychecks than he has stealing games the last four seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad