Who should replace Muzzin in the lineup

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marincin with no game action in months being thrown into a crucial playoff game could be a disaster.

He has two less games than literally every other Leaf right now. He played in the exhibition and all of the scrimmages, so it's really just the first two playoff games that the other guys have over him.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I really don't want to see Marincin play, but it's important to remember that he's probably improved over the last few years. The Marincin playing today isn't the same player as the one who played for us 4 years ago.

Same thing with guys like Hyman. He's improved a lot since his rookie year. I thought he looked really out of place in the top 6 for the first couple of years, but he's improved a lot and now he doesn't look out of place.

There aren't too many guys like Matthews who can come in the league and dominate from day one. It takes most guys quite a few years to improve.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sandin taking the poll by majority. I agree with this poll. He is more poised under pressure than his age would indicate.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
As much as it pains me to say it, Marincin is the best option. Sandin isn’t experienced enough, Rosen doesn’t even seem to be in the practices and Liljegren just isn’t ready.

Just have him stick to breaking up plays and staying away from passing.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We've shown if our head space is right Columbus is going to be in tough controlling the flow of play and negating our top 6

The question is will we show up? I hope so because there is nothing more frustrating in the world than a team you know is superior not playing like they are the better team

Win, for the good of my sanity :laugh:

Reactions: The Podium

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Losing Muzz hurts a lot. He's our best, most well-rounded defenseman in my opinion.

It hurts less though in this series. Given that we are playing a team that has a mindset of 'protecting a 0-0 lead', there isn't really a top scoring unit for us to match Muzzin/Holl against. Not that Atkinson, Dubois, Bjorkstrand, & Nyquist don't pose an offensive threat...but Tortorella isn't exactly focusing on using them for offense, as much as balancing them across his lineup to create effective shutdown units.

As far as Marincin vs Sandin goes...I'm a fan of Marincin for this role. He's not a good player, but people are very hyperbolic about how bad he is, and its clear to me that they don't watch hockey very well or closely. He's not really good, but neither would I say he's 'bad'...he's pretty much replacement level, quite neutral, doesn't add anything, but doesn't hurt to play as a 6D.

Yes, he handles the puck like a live grenade, but he does so many good, subtle positional things defensively. In terms of role he fits the mark as filling in Muzzin's PK shoes (which Sandin cannot do), and also replaces Dermott as a more defensively reliable partner for Barrie. Sandin + Barrie was a bad combination this season, not complimentary styles at all, basically got caved in. In contrast, Marincin + Barrie was quite good as a 3rd pairing (somebody earlier posted their statistics, as well as Dermott/Holl statistics).

Reactions: qqaz

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
It sounds like everyone in the room genuinely likes Muzzin. This should be extra motivation for the boys... "Muzz is done for this series but he wants to keep playing, so we gotta win!" Channel the warrior and get'er done! You know that's what he's saying to his teammates. If we can maintain the pace of the last game we are a very good team even with a d down.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Losing Muzz hurts a lot. He's our best, most well-rounded defenseman in my opinion.

It hurts less though in this series. Given that we are playing a team that has a mindset of 'protecting a 0-0 lead', there isn't really a top scoring unit for us to match Muzzin/Holl against. Not that Atkinson, Dubois, Bjorkstrand, & Nyquist don't pose an offensive threat...but Tortorella isn't exactly focusing on using them for offense, as much as balancing them across his lineup to create effective shutdown units.

As far as Marincin vs Sandin goes...I'm a fan of Marincin for this role. He's not a good player, but people are very hyperbolic about how bad he is, and its clear to me that they don't watch hockey very well or closely. He's not really good, but neither would I say he's 'bad'...he's pretty much replacement level, quite neutral, doesn't add anything, but doesn't hurt to play as a 6D.

Yes, he handles the puck like a live grenade, but he does so many good, subtle positional things defensively. In terms of role he fits the mark as filling in Muzzin's PK shoes (which Sandin cannot do), and also replaces Dermott as a more defensively reliable partner for Barrie. Sandin + Barrie was a bad combination this season, not complimentary styles at all, basically got caved in. In contrast, Marincin + Barrie was quite good as a 3rd pairing (somebody earlier posted their statistics, as well as Dermott/Holl statistics).
I watched him lots. Somewhat improved but Sandin has the better upside and poise. This post gives every reason you go with the upside of Sandin to me ha

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Like many have said, I'd rather Sandin than Marincin. I get why they'll put Marty in though... but he'll probably do at least 3 deer caught in the headlight plays minimum.

I can forgive a rookie for that, and with more skill trying to make a play ... than Marty who's had a lot more time to figure it out.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Like many have said, I'd rather Sandin than Marincin. I get why they'll put Marty in though... but he'll probably do at least 3 deer caught in the headlight plays minimum.

I can forgive a rookie for that, and with more skill trying to make a play ... than Marty who's had a lot more time to figure it out.

I'll take Marincin because Sandin Barrie scares the hell out of me. Marincin is pretty good at breaking up plays and I think his edge defensively is needed more then another puck moving defensemen. Also I don't like the idea of killing Rielly on the PK.

Reactions: qqaz

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Marincin can absorb some of Muzzin's PK minutes and his deficiencies are insulated by an absolutely tepid Columbus offense. I don't think he'll be a disastrous substitution.

The ways in which Sandin has more upside than Marincin is why he's not my first choice. Sandin makes plays, and I'm optimistic about his future. But this is now a best of 3 series and defense is too impactful a role to afford him time to learn on the fly.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I find the narrative coming out of Columbus after Game 2 to be pretty interesting. Most of the rhetoric centres around them having played an awful game, and the notion that it was their own poor play that caused that result.

Hate to break it to them, but if and when the Leafs show up, there’s nothing a team like Columbus will be able to do. If our offence is clicking, and we’re dictating play, it won’t matter if the Jackets bring their A game or their F game; we’ll dominate possession and run them out of the building.

As usual, we’re our own worst enemy. It’s entirely up to us whether we win this series or not. Play like we did in Game 2 and they’ll be done in 4; play like we did in Game 1 and we might lose in 4. We need to play our game, and our game is all offence, all the time.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad