Who should replace Muzzin in the lineup

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I would have liked to see Dermott-Barrie challenged to step up together, but that was largely based on the thought that Sandin would get the call and he and Barrie couldn't be paired together.

+'s to this-
Dermott+ Holl kept their heads above water as a top pair earlier this season. Dermott is a Toronto boy playing for all of his city,dream team, contract, and has every reason to come up big

Marincin is exactly the kind of partner (stylistically) that has brought out the best in Barrie in the past.

Reactions: Duffman955

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Well.. Consistency has been an issue with this team. I'm concerned Columbus will have the jump on them early.

Hope Andy is ready from puck drop.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This will tell me where our team is at in terms of maturity. From what they’ve shown, I worried that losing Muzz will rock their confidence and they’ll fold. I really hope they show up to play. I can take a loss but it’s so damn disheartening to see the team give up and just mail it in when I know what they are capable of. Please show up!

ps. I can’t really take a loss....

Wow, OK. I'm not worried about their confidence at all, they played so well last game and if they can keep that up, they should be able to handle CLB relatively easily without Muzzin. Injuries are a fact of life in the playoffs and yes, Muzzin is a key player but it's only a few games and it's only CLB for FFS so as far as I'm concerned, this injury is almost irrelevant as if we can't take these guys without Muzzin, we have no shot anyway, at least that's the way I see it. Beat CLB and it sounds like Muzzin will be back when the tougher opponents are on tap so confidence should not be an issue.

Inconsistency is another story but no need to live in the past. This is a new coach who as far as we can tell has the players on his side, he has a healthy team for the first time (OK except for Muzzin), from what we've seen the team plays much better for him then the old coach so as far as I'm concerned, this team has a blank slate on which to write their own destiny. The first game wasn't great but IMO it wasn't because lack of effort, more like just being somewhat rusty. What I really want to see now is for the boys to play consistently well and the time to start is now. CLB is good team but they're not that good and if we want to go far, we're going to have to deal with teams that are much better so ... time to put the boots to these guys and win the next two games in convincing fashion.

It's go time, let's go!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well.. Consistency has been an issue with this team. I'm concerned Columbus will have the jump on them early.

Hope Andy is ready from puck drop.

Andy has one bad game every series, its what he does, he had 2 good games in Game 1 and 2.. he is bound to have a stinker some time.

I wonder what last line change for CLB is going to have on today's game, Torts is one of the best in the game at managing the game. I;m going to be watching closely the chess match between Sheldon and Torts.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Should be interesting to see how Torts manages this game, he gets last line change, I think the CBJ's have done an excellent job in limiting the Leafs 5 on 5.

It will be a great test for Sheldon to show just how good/average of a coach he is.

You may not agree, but in terms of game management / matchups I think the best way for Keefe to show that he's a good coach is to recognize his rosters talent advantage and avoid getting sucked into overcoaching and chasing matchups. Protect the 4th line and 3rd pair, but other than that let the boys play and pin their ears back.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Like many have said, I'd rather Sandin than Marincin. I get why they'll put Marty in though... but he'll probably do at least 3 deer caught in the headlight plays minimum.

I can forgive a rookie for that, and with more skill trying to make a play ... than Marty who's had a lot more time to figure it out.
The good news is that as a team we have been very good at limiting CBus' chances. Marincin doesn't need to be spectacular, just steady. Paired with Barrie has me worries though.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Andy has one bad game every series, its what he does, he had 2 good games in Game 1 and 2.. he is bound to have a stinker some time.

I wonder what last line change for CLB is going to have on today's game, Torts is one of the best in the game at managing the game. I;m going to be watching closely the chess match between Sheldon and Torts.
I don't know, the boys seem more focused on our zone this year. Its weird.
I have a feeling this game they come out flying for Muzz and bury the Jackets.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
think they have last change now and can target Barrie/Marincin.

I'd be surprised if the Jackets don't start getting some goals here. Muzzin is a huge loss for this particular group.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Columbus is offensively challenged. Even with last change.

Are top 3 lines are better than there top 3 pretty easily. Hell are 4th is better than there's and they won't even see much time.

They have us beat on D obviously ... but having Mattews and JT swings this in our favour all series long.

Its all about the will. If Leafs keep that up like last game they can win.

We need Andy playing another big game here... if he can continue his steady play in net... Leafs are looking good.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
think they have last change now and can target Barrie/Marincin.

I'd be surprised if the Jackets don't start getting some goals here. Muzzin is a huge loss for this particular group.

The tricky part is that I think their best offensive players are trying to shut down the Matthews line - Jones, Pierre Luc Dickhead, Werenski, Atkinson. If they pull these guys off Matthews to try to get a good matchup, that leaves Matthews to feast on the next best line, and Tavares to face the depth forwards (Foudy line). I like those matchups.

One thing about Muzzin's injury is that Columbus hasn't shown us that they can generate a ton of offence yet. Losing Muzzin would be a different situation if he was facing the Pastrnak line for 25 mins a night. It's a small bit of silver lining.

Either way, our best players will need to carry more weight, no question. We might need 3-4 goals moving forward.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
To carry on with match-ups @Bluelines

Apparently Torts has rejigged his lines as such
1. Texier-Dubois-Atkinson
2. Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
3. Foligno-Jenner-Foudy

It will be interesting to see what the purpose of that new 3rd line is. Is he throwing in the towel on Dubois v Matthews, hoping Dubois can handle Matthews and putting together a pure shutdown line to neutralize Tavares and going to try and win the game with L2 against Kerfoot, trying to go power on power with L1 and 2 and have 3 abuse our smaller 3rd line?

And more importantly, is there a combination that we're scared of?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You may not agree, but in terms of game management / matchups I think the best way for Keefe to show that he's a good coach is to recognize his rosters talent advantage and avoid getting sucked into overcoaching and chasing matchups. Protect the 4th line and 3rd pair, but other than that let the boys play and pin their ears back.

TBH I'm not really sure what the best way to go is. You don't want CLB 1st line going up against our cherry picking lines. PLD is a heck of skilled player, if he gets favorable match ups, he could easily win the game for CLB.

I think this series will come down to Torts and Keefe, who ever wins his match ups will win the series.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I couldnt bring myself to vote for Marincin even though he makes the most sense coming in. If handedness wasnt a concern, I'd take Lilly as my first choice as #6D. He has shown to be defensively responsible and capable of big minutes, albeit in the A, moreso than Sandin. He struggled his first stint, but against a team like Columbus where he wouldnt be challenged I feel like its an ideal scenario to shake off the rookie jitters and gain some confidence.

Factor in that the Leafs play both tomorrow and Friday .. Leaning on your top 3 lines heavily tomorrow could see some tired legs Friday. They haven't exactly been conditioning a lot in the last few months.

I've give Marincin a short leash and if he bombs out, put Sandin in Friday.

On the flip side Jones and Werenski are averaging roughly 27 minutes a game. A back to back would hit them hardest IMO.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The tricky part is that I think their best offensive players are trying to shut down the Matthews line - Jones, Pierre Luc Dickhead, Werenski, Atkinson. If they pull these guys off Matthews to try to get a good matchup, that leaves Matthews to feast on the next best line, and Tavares to face the depth forwards (Foudy line). I like those matchups.

One thing about Muzzin's injury is that Columbus hasn't shown us that they can generate a ton of offence yet. Losing Muzzin would be a different situation if he was facing the Pastrnak line for 25 mins a night. It's a small bit of silver lining.

Either way, our best players will need to carry more weight, no question. We might need 3-4 goals moving forward.

Seems like Jones is having his way with Matthews, if I'm Keefe, I'm telling every player, hit Jones every opportunity you get, hack him, do chippy plays against him. Jones looks too comfortable back there and too comfortable against Matthews.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Seems like Jones is having his way with Matthews, if I'm Keefe, I'm telling every player, hit Jones every opportunity you get, hack him, do chippy plays against him. Jones looks too comfortable back there and too comfortable against Matthews.

Matthews scored the game winning goal, and outshot/chanced his matchup 15-1. I think HDCF were 5-0 or something like that.

Who's having their way with who?

Don't drink the media coolaid.

Factor in that the Leafs play both tomorrow and Friday .. Leaning on your top 3 lines heavily tomorrow could see some tired legs Friday. They haven't exactly been conditioning a lot in the last few months.

I've give Marincin a short leash and if he bombs out, put Sandin in Friday.

If our forward lines will be tired, what do you say about the Jones Werenski pair? Good luck playing top competition for 28 minutes a game back to back.

edit: @The Podium beat me to it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

3. Foligno-Jenner-Foudy

It will be interesting to see what the purpose of that new 3rd line is. Is he throwing in the towel on Dubois v Matthews, hoping Dubois can handle Matthews and putting together a pure shutdown line to neutralize Tavares and going to try and win the game with L2 against Kerfoot, trying to go power on power with L1 and 2 and have 3 abuse our smaller 3rd line?

Probably Torts thinking, but are we really afraid of that 2nd line?

Matches closesly to our 3rd, both being defensively responsible as well.

Reactions: Burnie97

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Matthews absolutely wrecked Jones game 2. Scored and the chances for/against were something like 15-1 in favour of AM....

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Never thought I'd say this but in this series it "seems" like the tighter they call it and the more penalties, the better for us...Not only because we should have a great PP but it looks like Columbus has trouble maintaining that smothering defensive play all over the ice when that continuity is broken up with penalties not to mention they seem to play less aggressively (obviously) when more penalties are called.May just be a coincidence and it's a small sample size but they were much more aggressive in game one (3 total penalties) than game 2 (9 penalties I believe)...So against my usual beliefs, call it tight tonight refs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Matthews scored the game winning goal, and outshot/chanced his matchup 15-1. I think HDCF were 5-0 or something like that.

Who's having their way with who?

Don't drink the media coolaid.

edit: @The Podium beat me to it.

Jones was not on the ice when Matthews scored... watch the game dude ;)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't know, the boys seem more focused on our zone this year. Its weird.
I have a feeling this game they come out flying for Muzz and bury the Jackets.

I sure hope you are right... we are going to learn a lot, about both teams after tonight's game.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

3. Foligno-Jenner-Foudy

Probably not, but I'm more scared about unforced errors on our part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad