Post-Game Talk: Game #3| Jan. 22, 2013|Flyers at Devils |7:30 p.m. ET pt II

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just got back from the game and I'm sure it's already been said, but the team was pathetic tonight. Absolutely one of and possibly the worst Flyers game I've ever been too. The devils owned our forwards the whole night and we had no net presence whatsoever. Bryz letting in 3 goals on 4 shots didn't help either. I don't want to hear if they were his fault or not, you don't pay a goalie $51 million to be mediocre. BRYZ HAS TO MAKE THE BIG SAVES!!!

If we lose on Thursday, I see a big change coming. Either way, let's hope things turn around quickly or we will be out of it if this continues. Let's go Flyers.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Whaaaa? 34 goals and 63 points in 45 games, and he's 6'3" 200lbs. If he drops out of the first round, homer should take this kid if he has the opportunity I think.

Maybe they think his stats won't carry over to the NHL?

Case and point :

2011 was Seth Griffith's draft year. He put up 22 goals and 40 assists

Went undrafted

2012 he put up 45 goals and 40 assists and was taken in the 5th round

Now he's at 29 goals 44 assists with about 18 games left to go

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Blow the whole damn team up, keep and build around Rinaldo.
Fire Lavy and the whole coaching staff, hire Bartulis as Lavy's replacement, our assistant coaches will be Cote and Branko Radivojevič.
Hire a new organ guy, in his first game of the year, David May just frankly didn't do a good enough job.

In all seriousness, It's game three, I'm going to try and refrain from overreacting until game 8 or so, I just really think that this team needs to mesh. A lot of players were given more responsibility this year and they definitely need to grow into these roles.

Bryz has surprisingly been a pretty big bright spot for me this year, could have done better tonight though...

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Just got back from the game and I'm sure it's already been said, but the team was pathetic tonight. Absolutely one of and possibly the worst Flyers game I've ever been too. The devils owned our forwards the whole night and we had no net presence whatsoever. Bryz letting in 3 goals on 4 shots didn't help either. I don't want to hear if they were his fault or not, you don't pay a goalie $51 million to be mediocre. BRYZ HAS TO MAKE THE BIG SAVES!!!

If we lose on Thursday, I see a big change coming. Either way, let's hope things turn around quickly or we will be out of it if this continues. Let's go Flyers.

Well I don't know why Lavi said he felt it was the Flyers best effort thus far that he has seen....he is either in circle the wagons mode or delusional.....

I know what I saw and it was 100% grade A crapola

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Well I don't know why Lavi said he felt it was the Flyers best effort thus far that he has seen....he is either in circle the wagons mode or delusional.....

I know what I saw and it was 100% grade A crapola

We looked worse than when we played against the Devils in the playoffs last year. I was at one of those games too. It was more of the same. The Flyers will not win a cup this year if they face the Devils in the playoffs and they play the same way. They currently have no answer for their system.

toughfighter83*

the problem is that you want to point fingers at the goalie, he's the only one doing his job, what the rest of the team? they are not doing squat. if they get rid of bryz then who do you suggest they build the team around?

they have a goalie, they need defense bad, plus they need offense, the whole team is a mess besides the goalie, it's a lously team right now, you cant expect bryz to do everything because he cant score goals and play defense, he's making saves what else can he do? this league is not about winning 1-0 games, it's about offense, if this team doesnt have offense there's no way this team will compete.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
We looked worse than when we played against the Devils in the playoffs last year. I was at one of those games too. It was more of the same. The Flyers will not win a cup this year if they face the Devils in the playoffs and they play the same way. They currently have no answer for their system.

Lavi is on notice IMO.....if he and the team is clueless against the Rangers thurs...it's going to get hot for him. I don't think the GM did him any favors getting stay at home D men to protect Bryz and then him and Snider saying he has to tighten things up but Lavi basically saying I'm not changing my attack system. Right now there is a lack of harmony on many fronts....luckily Bryz is a bit more consistent or this situation would be a complete mess.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Blow the whole damn team up, keep and build around Rinaldo.
Fire Lavy and the whole coaching staff, hire Bartulis as Lavy's replacement, our assistant coaches will be Cote and Branko Radivojevič.
Hire a new organ guy, in his first game of the year, David May just frankly didn't do a good enough job.

In all seriousness, It's game three, I'm going to try and refrain from overreacting until game 8 or so, I just really think that this team needs to mesh. A lot of players were given more responsibility this year and they definitely need to grow into these roles.

Bryz has surprisingly been a pretty big bright spot for me this year, could have done better tonight though...

I'm a sucker for a Radivojevic reference. I'm in.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
the problem is that you want to point fingers at the goalie, he's the only one doing his job, what the rest of the team? they are not doing squat. if they get rid of bryz then who do you suggest they build the team around?

they have a goalie, they need defense bad, plus they need offense, the whole team is a mess besides the goalie, it's a lously, you cant expect bryz to do everything because he cant score goals and play defense are you that blind?

I know the team is sucking right now. But Bryz did NOT do his job tonight. His job is to make big saves when the team needs it. Is it so much to ask that he not let in 3 goals on 4 shots? Is it so much to ask your $51 million goalie to pick them up and cover for their mistakes? Bryz was not good tonight but he was good in the first two games. We could have won the first two.

Do you really expect the team two come back from a 3-0 deficit against the Devils when your goalie gives up 3 goals on 4 shots??? After the Flyers dominate the first period and come up empty? Psychologically that destroyed their confidence and the Flyers didn't have a chance after that. I'm not blind at all in fact I was 12 rows off the ice and I have 20/20 vision. BRYZ NEEDS TO COME UP WITH THE BIG SAVES TO GIVE THE TEAM CONFIDENCE! That's what he's paid to do. We'll never win a cup unless he does and tonight was a perfect example of what's wrong with Bryz.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I know the team is sucking right now. But Bryz did NOT do his job tonight. His job is to make big saves when the team needs it. Is it so much to ask that he not let in 3 goals on 4 shots? Is it so much to ask your $51 million goalie to pick them up and cover for their mistakes? Bryz was not good tonight but he was good in the first two games. We could have won the first two.

Do you really expect the team two come back from a 3-0 deficit against the Devils when your goalie gives up 3 goals on 4 shots??? After the Flyers dominate the first period and come up empty? Psychologically that destroyed their confidence and the Flyers didn't have a chance after that. I'm not blind at all in fact I was 12 rows off the ice and I have 20/20 vision. BRYZ NEEDS TO COME UP WITH THE BIG SAVES TO GIVE THE TEAM CONFIDENCE! That's what he's paid to do. We'll never win a cup unless he does and tonight was a perfect example of what's wrong with Bryz.

Fedotenko kicking pucks by him, or Kovalchuk torching a backhand upper 90, which one of those was Bryzgalov supposed to come up with? Just stop.

toughfighter83*

if you are so smart, what's your plan then? if you want bryz gone how do you replace him with?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Situational saves as Meltzer has termed them are indeed important..they lift a team. Brodeur had a lot in that first period.....

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Fedotenko kicking pucks by him, or Kovalchuk torching a backhand upper 90, which one of those was Bryzgalov supposed to come up with? Just stop.

OK. How about, the first one could have been stopped for sure and the second one could have been stopped if Bryz was in position instead of down on the ice putting his blocker over nonchalantly waiving at the puck as if that'd do anything. Bad bounce for sure but it is stoppable. Kovy goal is definitely forgivable but can't a $51 million goalie win a one on one battle sometimes? Isn't he supposed to be able to do that at least sometimes?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Even if lavi is canned, who the hell do we get to replace him?

Ask the GM..he gets paid the big bucks. He also bears some responsibility. I give him credit for swinging big going after Weber, Suter and Parise but he botched the Carle and in some ways the Jagr situations...he kept them in a holding pattern and they said bye bye.

Anyway, in the interim somebody like Murray might have to make do. I mean to me the comments by Holmgren and Snider and then getting Paddock to "assist" Lavi as an eye in the sky tell me Lavi is on notice....I've seen this enough.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
OK. How about, the first one could have been stopped for sure and the second one could have been stopped if Bryz was in position instead of down on the ice putting his blocker over nonchalantly waiving at the puck as if that'd do anything. Bad bounce for sure but it is stoppable. Kovy goal is definitely forgivable but can't a $51 million goalie win a one on one battle sometimes? Isn't he supposed to be able to do that at least sometimes?

I kind of agree.. he didn't bear down on some of those goals. He did play better as the game went along but it was too late. Flyers were getting a lot of shots on Brodeur in the first part of the first period but Brodeur made a lot of key stops..something true number 1's do. Still the team just sucked...or at least got deflated when they were down fairly quick

toughfighter83*

the first goal went on Travis Zajac's stick from the point shot, it wasnt a rebound and skated around him and scored, that wasnt stoppable.

I kind of agree.. he didn't bear down on some of those goals. He did play better as the game went along but it was too late. Flyers were getting a lot of shots on Brodeur in the first part of the first period but Brodeur made a lot of key stops..something true number 1's do. Still the team just sucked...or at least got deflated when they were down fairly quick

those shots were either wide or weak wrist shots, they dont beat great goalies plus there were blocked shots and they play defense in front of him which made it easy, he didnt make great saves. it's saying this team cant shoot, if they cant shoot it's a big problem, it's a reason why the couldnt beat the devils in the playoffs, the only reason this team was great against pittsburgh was because of defensive breakdowns and fleury was struggling against our weak shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
if you are so smart, what's your plan then? if you want bryz gone how do you replace him with?

When did I say I wanted Bryz gone? I'm pointing out what he's doing wrong because you guys are trying to tell me that this game wasn't at least partially his fault. I completely disagree. Your goalie has to make the big saves if you want to have a chance to win! Especially if you want to be successful in the playoffs. Hopefully he can have more games where he does make the big saves.

Do you honestly believe that a team that has a goalie that lets in 3 goals in 4 shots has a chance to win the cup? How many Stanley-Cup caliber goalies allow that to happen? How many times did Jonathan Quick bail out the Kings when they made mistakes in the playoffs?

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
the first goal went on Travis Zajac's stick from the point shot, it wasnt a rebound and skated around him and scored, that wasnt stoppable.

I saw exactly what happened. I disagree with you. I can think of several goalies that wouldn't have over-committed on the initial shot and THEN tried to make the save off of Zajac's stick. Tough save for sure, but it's still stoppable.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
When did I say I wanted Bryz gone? I'm pointing out what he's doing wrong because you guys are trying to tell me that this game wasn't at least partially his fault. I completely disagree. Your goalie has to make the big saves if you want to have a chance to win! Especially if you want to be successful in the playoffs. Hopefully he can have more games where he does make the big saves.

Do you honestly believe that a team that has a goalie that lets in 3 goals in 4 shots has a chance to win the cup? How many Stanley-Cup caliber goalies allow that to happen? How many times did Jonathan Quick bail out the Kings when they made mistakes in the playoffs?

It's no use....I don't think some people will ever understand the importance of situational saves and how they motivate a team. True number 1's make saves that are typically not easy to save. Brodeur had more than Bryz..hence the shutout. Having said this the offense is totally screwed up and the lack of mobility on D on the transition is so obvious it's not even funny. IMO this team has no choice now but to concentrate primarily on team D and then the goals will come but Lavi doesn't seem to get it. He is being stubborn and challenging his own GM and owner who have said he needs to adjust and tighten the D. He said no...I'm attacking and atttacking....it's going so great isn't it? Him changing up the lines like a mad scientist isn't helping either

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's no use....I don't think some people will ever understand the importance of situational saves and how they motivate a team. True number 1's make saves that are typically not easy to save. Brodeur had more than Bryz..hence the shutout. Having said this the offense is totally screwed up and the lack of mobility on D on the transition is so obvious it's not even funny. IMO this team has no choice now but to concentrate primarily on team D and then the goals will come but Lavi doesn't seem to get it. He is being stubborn and challenging his own GM and owner who have said he needs to adjust and tighten the D. He said no...I'm attacking and atttacking....it's going so great isn't it? Him changing up the lines like a mad scientist isn't helping either

Thanks. I understand it. All Flyers fans should. When your team doesn't have trust in it's goalie, the team loses confidence and when you lose confidence the other team smells blood and it's over. That's what happened tonight. At least the Flyers showed some fight and tried some rough stuff to get back in the game.

Before people flip out I want to say that I thought Bryz was our best player in the first 2 games. I'm not ready to give up on him yet but I will never agree with you about Bryz not playing a part in the loss tonight. Tonight is at the very least partially on him for not making the big saves when the team needed him. It was over after the third goal. No chance they were coming back and I didn't even think they would score all night. In the team's minds they were already defeated and it was pathetic.

toughfighter83*

I saw exactly what happened. I disagree with you. I can think of several goalies that wouldn't have over-committed on the initial shot and THEN tried to make the save off of Zajac's stick. Tough save for sure, but it's still stoppable.

you are wrong, he couldnt stop it because he was challenging the slapshot it out of his crease and zajac was screened in his face by time he got the puck, he had no time go back in his crease to stop it, that was on the defense, plus if he was deep in the net, it probably would have went in anyway, especially with a player in his face, they are pucks that can be stopped and they are some that cant be stopped, that's hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad