Post-Game Talk: Game #3| Jan. 22, 2013|Flyers at Devils |7:30 p.m. ET pt II

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Interesting. Timonen is actually even in the +/- department. I thought he would be worse than that. Coburn is the worst at -3, and no points. I'd like to see GF/GA stats and such.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Interesting. Timonen is actually even in the +/- department. I thought he would be worse than that. Coburn is the worst at -3, and no points. I'd like to see GF/GA stats and such.

That's not surprising about Coburn. He was way out in left field on the Zajac goal last night. Mez rounded the net with Zubrus and Coburn picked up someone who was way out at the faceoff dot and next to a forward instead of taking Zajac who was 6 inches from the crease. Another case of Coburn having the hockey sense of a mule.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
... and, like that, the pack turns on itself.

The whole team is out of sync. Bryzgalov is pretty much the least of our worries. Top worry is how Hartnell's foot is, then onto getting the skaters to perform as a unit, rather than a bunch of individuals with a vague idea about their positioning. This has been an issue for the past couple of years and continues to hamstring the team. Too often, they get running around in their own end and opponents are getting too many clear shots on goal. And offensively, their cycles are just staying at the perimeter without setting up quality chances, particularly on the PP.

The sophomore slump does seem to be biting this team hard on the fleshy part, but it's only part of the problem. We'll see what Briere's return does to jumpstart the offense ... as long as Hartnell isn't on his way to the IR list.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
All I know is, if the Flyers beat the Rangers and get back on track (hopefully help set things right), it will be a weird season. In previous seasons, we would go for other teams to get us wins we need, and dreaded playing the Rangers because they usually beat us.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Makes sense. When I saw -3 was the worst I figured an overwhelming amount of goals came on the PK. The discipline has been underwhelming.

special teams have been alarmingly bad. I didnt expect the PK to be great. But its been horrendous. The positioning on the PK has been brutal. See the Ott goal sunday.
I am not worried about the PP. The PP started off slow last year I believe and came around to be pretty good.

FlyingHigh28*

I remember after a really crappy game my coach would keep us after the game for a long, agonizing skate and then some drills. All my gear felt like it weighed 100+ lbs after that, especially my pads. Needless to say no one was thrilled but we definitely didnt play so terribly again. I know this is the NHL we're talking about but for that half-assed effort they gave in the 3rd yesterday, acting like kids, they deserved to be treated like kids.

Are you suggesting this team needs a bag skate?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
All I know is, if the Flyers beat the Rangers and get back on track (hopefully help set things right), it will be a weird season. In previous seasons, we would go for other teams to get us wins we need, and dreaded playing the Rangers because they usually beat us.

That is a big if. The Rangers as well as the Devils seemed to have found a way to limit our offense and beat our defense with ease and we just keep doing the same exact thing against them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
special teams have been alarmingly bad. I didnt expect the PK to be great. But its been horrendous. The positioning on the PK has been brutal. See the Ott goal sunday.
I am not worried about the PP. The PP started off slow last year I believe and came around to be pretty good.

The priority #1 adjustment for the PP has to be removing Voracek from the point. Holy hell he is bad there.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Are you suggesting this team needs a bag skate?

cept this team doesnt respond to a bagskate..

after terrible games before lavi has been unable to get this team to comeout on fire..

im fully prepared for another ass-whooping by the Rags, followed by more floundering over the next week.

hopefully im dead wrong, but based on what this team has put forth this season, i think im right on track

ive never questioned Lavi before, but im seriously beggining to wonder if his tenour here is coming to close.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Bryz did make some big saves last night. Unfortunately they all came when the team was already in a hole. But, while Marty was very solid, he didn't see any chances as good as the Zajac goal, or the Kovalchuck penalty shot, and none of his players kicked pucks in their own net. I can't remember any primo scoring chances we got except for Hartnell and Simmonds.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Definitely. I didnt have a problem trying it because the PP wasnt clicking, but clearly he needs to be moved out of the point.

Put Mez in Voracek's spot in that powerplay formation. At least you'll have the threat of a shot from that side instead of everyone collapsing on Giroux at all times.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
because the players we got back from the kings and columbus, you want them to be like carter, richards, and gagne, they are nothing like them. plus with hartnell, he's not a top 4 player no matter what he did last year, years before that, he was an average player, he did nothing in playoffs last year.

Just asking, what is a top 4 player. You claim hartnell isn't one so I want to know exactly what you're talking about. If you meant he's not a top 6 forward, meaning he's better suited for a stereotypical 3rd line role, then I would have to say that's asinine. Look at his numbers over his career if you for some reason want to throw out last yrs season. Don't forget he had a 30-30-60 season a few yrs back. Man, I wish we could get a few more of those 30 goal 3rd liners.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Those bashing Hartnell...remember last year when he had 1 ppoint in 4 games and 2 in 7 and was on the 4th line. How did that turn out? Patience people...patience. We are a young team. We do have to change how we play though. Run and Gun isn't going to work. We lost Jagr and JVR(when dressed) up front and Carle on D. That's a bunch of options for adding scoring each night. I wonder what it would be like to play a true 2offensive, 2 defensive lines where we ALL play solid D. Winning 2-1 games sure would be nice!

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
As much as I hate him (but respect him) I really wish tortorella was the coach of this team... Guarantee these guys wouldn't be looking so lax.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
As much as I hate him (but respect him) I really wish tortorella was the coach of this team... Guarantee these guys wouldn't be looking so lax.

I agree. But the Rangers don't look good yet either. But if both Lavi and Torts are fired I would be all for Torts coming here.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
They don't look as much lax as they do lost. This is going to be a very odd half season of hockey right across the board. One week of training camp totally sucks, not only because players aren't in shape but it doesn't give them enough time to get used to each other. Bag skating won't do a damned thing right now, their confidence isn't great and with them not being in good shape it could cause injuries. It's only 3 games, if it were closer to 10 and we were way out of the playoffs it would be a bigger worry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad