Post-Game Talk: Game #3: Home Opener vs. Leafs

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sather is actually really good at recognizing talent, that's why we've been good the past few years. But he still can't control himself with money.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Let's take a look at that massive brain of yours.

--

As late as 9/18/2014, you said this in a "prospects you're interested in" post:

--

As late as 9/15/2014 you said:

Later in the post you called Hayes a "wildcard;" said if he stuck you thought he would be on the wing; and that he might push Stempniak (winger), Lombardi (center), and Malone (winger) down.

Easy to get 'em right when you're predicting everything/anything will happen. We're missing a 3C, so one of the two top options for 3C will make the team -- what a shocker of a prediction! Also an even tougher prediction to make once the team's 1C goes down. :bow:

--

As late as 8/27/2014, you had a trade proposal that included Allen on the 2nd pairing, replacing Staal, and saying that would work for the Rangers (meanwhile, a week earlier saying Allen wouldn't make JMoore expendable -- but he does Staal?):

--

In the same post dated 9/15/2014 above re Miller/Hayes you said:

--

As for the rest? Your posting history doesn't go far back enough to fact check. But you keep on rockin' it.

There's this nice thing about these forums that keeps people honest when they try to act all high and mighty like you did: It is called the search function.

Oops. :blush:

Awesome post is awesome :handclap:.

Also, I agree with those of you who want MSL gone from that center position. We're turning a weakness into a weakness and a half. Take these broken wings and learn to fly.

Bulls9220

Feb 6, 2010
New York
Hi guys, would just like to remind everybody that contrary to popular belief, Dan Boyle was in fact not playing tonight, therefore complaining about how done he is in a thread of a game that he did not even play in, makes absolutely no sense. And oh btw they're 0-2 without him.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I don't wanna name anybody, he has the right to speak for himself if he wants to, but somebody who was arguing that Hank > Leetch as an all-time Ranger.

Methinks Blake was thrown in there to strengthen said argument.

Idk what the conversation is, but as it is right now Brian Leetch is 100% the greatest Ranger of all time, with Lundqvist as the only potential threat to that title.

Brian Leetch is one of the greatest players at his position of all time. He is the #1/2 all time American born defenseman (with Chelios). As for offensive defensemen, who's in his class, let's see. Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey, Ray Borque, Denis Potvin, Brad Park, maybe Al MacInnis....who else? 1028P in 1205 GP. 2 Norris Trophis, Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup. Brian Leetch was a first ballot HHoF pick, probably a top 25 all time NHL defenseman. Rob Blake was not better than Brian Leetch. Sorry to that poster.

RothmanHockey

On the off chance you guys want to read more about this one ...

NEW YORK – They streamed into the building, 18,006 of them, with more than the normal amount of anticipation for the home opener. After last year’s run to the Stanley Cup Final, it isn’t just hope that permeates the walls of Madison Square Garden this year, it is belief.

That belief turned, for the night, into horror during a nightmare second period that saw the Rangers (1-2-0) give up five goals in a span of less than ten minutes en-route to their fifth-straight loss during a home opener, a 6-3 defeat to the Maple Leafs (1-2-0).

http://insidehockey.com/home-opener-nightmare-for-rangers

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Let's take a look at that massive brain of yours.

--

As late as 9/18/2014, you said this in a "prospects you're interested in" post:

--

As late as 9/15/2014 you said:

Later in the post you called Hayes a "wildcard;" said if he stuck you thought he would be on the wing; and that he might push Stempniak (winger), Lombardi (center), and Malone (winger) down.

Easy to get 'em right when you're predicting everything/anything will happen. We're missing a 3C, so one of the two top options for 3C will make the team -- what a shocker of a prediction! Also an even tougher prediction to make once the team's 1C goes down. :bow:

--

As late as 8/27/2014, you had a trade proposal that included Allen on the 2nd pairing, replacing Staal, and saying that would work for the Rangers (meanwhile, a week earlier saying Allen wouldn't make JMoore expendable -- but he does Staal?):

--

In the same post dated 9/15/2014 above re Miller/Hayes you said:

--

As for the rest? Your posting history doesn't go far back enough to fact check. But you keep on rockin' it.

There's this nice thing about these forums that keeps people honest when they try to act all high and mighty like you did: It is called the search function.

Oops. :blush:

Holy mother... Talk about ownage...

Thank you :)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I also have to agree that hunwick looks better than John Moore...

I'm sick of his play... I love his skating ability, but I see NOTHING in his game beyond that... Maybe his point shot, which he hardly uses because he's either out of position or fumbling the puck at the blue lin .

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I really liked what I saw from Duclair and Stemp and Hayes...wish they'd have played Hayes a bit more, frankly. Miller seems to be following the play as opposed to being a step ahead. Hopefully that comes. Obviously Henrik was shaky. It happens. The main problem, to me, is the defense is running around (i mean, as a team, not just the defensemen). They'll get it together. in fact, i think with Duclair and Hayes the Rangers have more offensive weapons than last year. I'm pretty excited. Despite the awful result today.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Last post for the night.

In terms of why this game was lost...

1. Hank need to stop 3 of those 6 goals...

2. PK looks great when the pick is near the blue line... But the players are not communicating when the puck is below the goal line... McDonagh leaving his man completely is such a **** up... I mean after all he is a LD, Girardi is the RD, so that was Girardis man to cover..

3. Clark's on scoring a garbage goal is so devils like... Stempniak needs to clear it as well though.

4. Hunwick is so meh

5. John Moore is such a waste at this point.

6. We were missing a #1C, a #4 defenseman, and a #2RW... Its no wonder we are struggling

I think the worst part was a friend rubbing in my face that the devils are an elite team now after beating the ****ing PANTHERS 5-1...while the rangers are a bag of suck and will do terrible this year...

Lastly the rangers (including hank) are slow starters. We also have 4 rookies rotating in the lineup, only 1 of which is proving to adapt to this system (Duclair) in a quick fashion.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't wanna name anybody, he has the right to speak for himself if he wants to, but somebody who was arguing that Hank > Leetch as an all-time Ranger.

Methinks Blake was thrown in there to strengthen said argument.

Some posters lack reading comprehension. Not you, but others.

I merely stated that from 99-00 onwards, Blake was a better defender. I think it's quite obvious that Leetch had a better overall career.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Last post for the night.

2. PK looks great when the pick is near the blue line... But the players are not communicating when the puck is below the goal line... McDonagh leaving his man completely is such a **** up... I mean after all he is a LD, Girardi is the RD, so that was Girardis man to cover..

That goal was infuriating to watch. He gets the puck and McD just turned and watched. Girardi was nowhere to be found and McD made no effort to even move. Just watched the shot and goal. I don't know what I expected him to do--I was hoping for a blocked shot of just some effort, but not a deer in headlights look. I get he had a man to cover in case of a rebound, but someone needs to be on that guy.

Yeah, we're missing Zuccs, Step, and Boyle, but we need our guys to step up. The bits I saw of Hunwick...eh. Didn't impress too much.

I also saw a few people calling for Miller and Fast to be sent down. Back in the summer, we had a lot of people calling for keeping them up and just dealing with the growing pains. It's one or the other.

Duc looked pretty good--some nifty plays. Hayes also made one or two nice ones, but Hayes and Moore were both horrendous on the faceoff tonight.

Just gotta deal with it for now. It'll come together. Frustrating as absolute ****, but it'll come together.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
We're more at how bad top pair looked man cmon with that

But seriously, the top pair DID F up and the defense WAS horrid... but we lost one of our Top 4 defensemen and it's the friggin 3rd game of the season. There are obviously going to be issues.

A lot of teams have rough starts to seasons (oh wait, you mean like us last year? the year we made it to the SCF?) so it's not anything to go ballistic about. I was pissed while I was watching it but as soon as the game ended I was like "eh, whatever... it's the damn 3rd game of the season... we have plenty of time to get things back on track."

If the team still looks like this come Thanksgiving time, THEN we can start worrying. Give me .500 until X-mas and I'll be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYRCSKA*

This team's beat up, and AV is still trying to sort the lines.
Hoping for .500 20 games in. Nothing new, just need time to work out the kinks.

NYRCSKA*

Funny how much hate Boyle is getting when he didn't even play today. HFLogic.

ilovemarkmessier

Oct 13, 2011
New York
You'll all be singing a different tune when your brains catch up to mine and you realize how DONE Dan Boye is.

Just like Del Zotto (I called for his head before anyone else and was ostracized for it until he was traded and then everyone suddenly agreed with me. How's DZ looking in Philly?)

Just like Duclair making the team.

Just like Hayes making the team.

Just like Conor Allen not being the second coming of Scott Neidermayer.

Just like JT Miller not being consistent enough / ready to be counted on as our everyday 3C.

Just like Callahan being traded for MSL.

Just like Zuccarello becoming a star.

It looks like (3 games in) I was wrong about Stempniak, but in all honesty he has played worlds better than he did in Calgary or Pittsburgh last season. If he can keep this level
Of play up, I'm thrilled to eat crow on that.

But I've been spot-on about every other major discussion point / debate on here. You'll catch up; don't worry.

Dan Boyle should have retired. He has very little left to offer and he's absolutely a liability in his own end because of his skating and strength deficiencies. He's had a good career, but not everyone is a freak like MSL and Selanne and at 39, Dan Boyle is DONE.
Step and he played very well against us there. Like what are you talking about? Dan Boyle is far from done he scored 12 goals as a d man last year and had roughly the same amount of points Mcdonut did. Also played over 20 minutes a game on a very good team. Wake up dude!

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
To me there was 1 reason we lost, and it was the same in Columbus.

Rangers did not show up last night as in ready to get the win, no spirit no will.

The shorthanded goal sums it all up, every battle, every lose puck is lost, what this team need is a drill sergeant and a trip to some hard working people that have 3 jobs to pay the bill, so they see how easy their life is.

Especially how bad it was to see it was our new captain that lost that battle there on the blue line.

You can sum it all up, center, Henrik, Boyle, msl, ….

But if you are not ready to battle and you have 1/10 of the will to win then the opposing team, then we are up for a losing streak until they wake up. It has nothing to do with tactics. They need a kick in the butt and a bucket of Gatorade kicked through the locker room.

I want to see blood, sweat and tears 82 matches in a row for the millions these b... make.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Brassard is a great 3c, problem is his new contract (for the time being) has a caphit of a 2c. He should've went balls to the wall training this off season to come flying out of the gate, but it seems he didn't. He has the skill to capitalize on mismatches when playing a 3c role, but idk if he can handle 2c matchups, which I've thought all along.

Dan Boyle will be fine with Staal, sliding Klein down to try and blanket the dumpster fire that is John Moore.

That's my issue with Brassard. He claims to be a hockey nerd he watches tapes all day..........and then he goes out and does the same **** I mean what does he have ADD? I'm serious. He's too fancy and cute for his own good. He's never going to live up to his draft status. I think his contract is going to hurt us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad